Alleged Sexual Assaulters and Scumbags

^ tom gabel/laura Jane grace had one of these incidents about 10 years ago and is now hailed as a leader of gender issues. I didn't save a link and cant find it because when you google it, all that comes up is a million articles about the sex change. If my memory serves right, it was a bit less of a forceful sex act and more of a "girl was too drunk to consent" situation.

I wonder if because pop-punk brings more females to the crowds it seems to happen more there. IT is no secret that guys will start bands because they dream it will get them more attention from females. I also wonder how many stories from the 60's-00's have been covered up/not told/or glamorized (Looking at you zeppelin and your fish story) and how many bands would everyone swear off of because they supported/friends/toured/on the same label as a band or artist that sexually assaulted someone?

Also, I  got to agree with Bruce Willis, everyone got annoyed that he said not to talk like that and made excuses for the person who said it, but elsewhere people are getting called out for talking on social media about an issue but then not following through. Which one is it? Are you able to discuss many issues that lead to sexual assault (IE believing and having it ingrained in you that women are men's property) or are you just getting up in arms about your one thing?

I'm just following this story through this thread, so forgive me if I am a bit confused. One person said it was an attempted rape, another person said it was a rape, are these two different incidents or the same one?

boycotting pure noise would be easy if my dudes gates weren't new-ish signees. i've been friends with them since they were bears and bright lights (prior to kevin and ethan joining). i WILL be boycotting PNR and i feel bad about it bc of gates, but this shit needs to stop happening. i will do anything in my power to help the cause.

i also agree with everything bruce has said. dude takes the words right out of my mouth almost every time something like this comes up.

bummed that transit is connected to JJR, too. =\ that guy is the worst. i met jake lang during the early november's last tour and i didn't know he was friends with JJR. sad about that as well.

It really leaves a bad taste in my mouth thay TWY has not said anything publicly about JJR and this whole situation.

I'm not clear on the whole thing and don't have time right now to read all those links but they did employ him for 2 years before letting him go when all this came to light right? I find it hard to believe they had no idea about this before it was made public when they were such good friends with him. It also looks like some of the members of the band are still great friends with him. Look at JJR Facebook page and Nick Steinborn's page.

Yeah.  I remember hearing they were buddies with the rapist.  There were also some other posts in that ap.net thread about the dude in Fireworks making fun of a homeless person, and using queer in a derogatory way.  Just to fill you in.  Again, that stuff, while lame, isn't on the same level as knowingly allying yourself with an offender.

Isn't one of the dudes in Fireworks gay? I swear they had a song on one of their earlier EPs about it.

It really leaves a bad taste in my mouth thay TWY has not said anything publicly about JJR and this whole situation.

I'm not clear on the whole thing and don't have time right now to read all those links but they did employ him for 2 years before letting him go when all this came to light right? I find it hard to believe they had no idea about this before it was made public when they were such good friends with him. It also looks like some of the members of the band are still great friends with him. Look at JJR Facebook page and Nick Steinborn's page.

this.

I need more info about how TWY has played into all of this.

apparently Pure Noise dropped fps and ngn "disbanded", though there still isn't justice if offenders are still free "men"

http://www.altpress.com/features/entry/pure_noise_records_founder_jake_round_talks_community_accountabilityand_fro?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=altpress

I don't think people are understanding a basic concept here. Of course he's still a free man.

Charges need to be brought against him for him to be taken into custody at all and this young woman has not done that yet as far as I know. 

Whether she hasn't taken this action because she thinks she doesn't have the evidence to bring charges against him (probable), or whether she's afraid of the backlash from that (more probable), it's something that needs to happen to get the justice we all crave.

How is boycotting a label going to accomplish making these people not free men?

It's not.  I just can't continue to support a label that takes such a big role in enabling this kind of bullshit to happen.  I'm going to try and find the emails that Pure Noise was sending out to fans when it was brought to their attention (not that they didn't already know) that they had signed a band with a known offender.

Pure Noise Records owners words:

"What do you think about Warped allowing Front Porch Step to play this week?"

"I have the greatest respect for Kevin Lyman.  I trust he is doing what he thinks is right."

It's extremely gross that this dude is being passive in this situation, and even defending him instead of calling him out.  He's already shown he doesn't give a shit about what these bands have done, until it starts affecting his own reputation.  But giving a known offender a platform to interact with thousands of young women, and not to mention teen dudes who know what this guy did, and then get it in their head that what he did was okay, because hey! - he's still playing warped tour after all of it!  Not to mention the safety of thousands of women attending Warped Tour, because this guy clearly hasn't learned anything from what he did.   

It just makes no sense.  Kevin Lyman allows an offender to play warped tour, someone who isn't even an artist who is pulling in money.  This is somehow more important to him than the safety and wellbeing of his attendees, not to mention the victims who see this guy getting cheered on by other women and men who have yet to fall victim to him.

For the sole reason to play Devil's advocate.....Why aren't there a bunch of "Boycott Epitaph Records" talk? I mean, they have Ronnie Radke on their label. Look at his long line of arrests, abuse of women, and rape allegations? Didn't he just get accused of gang raping someone like a month ago?

I'm not trying to change subjects or defend PN because I'm definitely NOT doing that.

For the sole reason to play Devil's advocate.....Why aren't there a bunch of "Boycott Epitaph Records" talk? I mean, they have Ronnie Radke on their label. Look at his long line of arrests, abuse of women, and rape allegations? Didn't he just get accused of gang raping someone like a month ago?

I'm not trying to change subjects or defend PN because I'm definitely NOT doing that.

I definitely understand where you're coming from, because from what I have heard, that guy is scum.  I think the reason this is becoming a bigger deal is because the scene these bands are involved with is smaller, and most of these bands preach social justice, and then do nothing when a situation like this arises.  It's disheartening to see so many bands who you would have hoped would take a stand against something like this either be passive, or even be enablers in the situation.  Ronnie Radke on the other hand is scum, and everyone knows it.  You also might get shot if you do anything too serious to prevent him from doing what he does.  No excuse for Epitaph though.  And now that I think about it, why the fuck did twiabp sign to Epitaph?  Because you're right, even though Ronnie's actions don't feel like they're hitting as close to home as this dudes, it's still fucked.

Epitaph has been signing/working with shitty bands forever, they're a huge label that is only about the business side. Not to excuse them at all, but they're far more than just a small operation like Pure Noise who should show a hell of a lot more care about things.

TWY fired JJR, and made a donation to RAINN. the disappointing thing is the silence

Haha okay I read that post over and realize it was pretty strongly worded and painted in broad strokes but I never knew this story. Reading it all in one sitting made me pretty mad, it's pretty disgusting. I hope the label makes better decisions going forward about their image and the community is smarter about how their purchases support this kind of conduct.

Haha okay I read that post over and realize it was pretty strongly worded and painted in broad strokes but I never knew this story. Reading it all in one sitting made me pretty mad, it's pretty disgusting. I hope the label makes better decisions going forward about their image and the community is smarter about how their purchases support this kind of conduct.

It's all good I was just giving you shit. Welcome to VC

This whole situation is messed up. I hope the victims are able to get the help they need to recover from this and go on living a great life. A lot of the things that have happened are quite unfortunate. While I don't agree with the boycott personally, I have no issue with the people that do. I don't like how some of those people (not so much here, more on ap) go out of there way to make anyone who still likes bands like FYS or SF feel shitty for liking them or that they are as bad as the rapist.

I wish FYS would distance themselves from JJR, but I'm still going to enjoy them nonetheless.

There are certain things like sexual assault and domestic violence where individuals and society need to make clear that no exceptions this will not be tolerated.  Abusers are not only abusing their victims, they are putting that fear into everyone.  That is exactly why we need more "street justice" in instances like this one.  If the legal system lets the victim down then moral citizens should act to ensure appropriate punishment.  

Interesting you mentioned domestic violence. Out of complete curiosity, what are your thoughts on this:

Ray Rice's career is basically over because of his incident last year. (NFL)

Adrian Peterson didn't play the majority of the 14-15 season because of his incident. (NFL)

Hope Solo isn't suspended at all and is still praised during the World Cup currently. (US Women's Soccer)

So apparently there's another big thing with this girl Ally Newbold who does photography for a lot of bands. She allegedly has sexually assaulted a ton of guys in the past but the whole hint got swept under the rug because she works for POZ. Google "Ally Newbold Rapist" and read all the stuff on it. It's nuts.