Alleged Sexual Assaulters and Scumbags

But you just said you will continue to go to ECC shows, which directly supports JJR, the one who covered this up for so long.

I will because I like supporting bands that I like directly instead of buying their merchandise online and ECC are one of the very few that book shows where I live. I also very much like that jake doesn't make bands pay to play or sell tickets.

This is the problem though. Think about if someone tried to rape your mother, friend, girlfriend or sister. Do you think you'd care then? This is someone's daughter, sister, friend. Not caring that someone tried to force them into a sexual act is fucked up.

To be fair, I didn't say you defended this person, but people have.

Also to be fair, there has been no conviction because this hasn't gone to trial like so many other attempted rapes.

Time for everyone to get mad at me again.

I know you're on the right side of this and I am not attacking you personally. The "what if it was your daughter/mother/sister/girlfriend?" thing needs to stop. I get what the point is and its coming from the right place, but it's kinda shitty. It implies that women are their relationship to men before they're just human beings. It just perpetuates the idea of women belonging to men. Not actively, but shit like "Hey man, that's someone's daughter (or whatever)" in response to, say, something like street harassment is like saying "Hey, think of how another man would feel about this"

I WILL NOW BATHE IN YOUR DOWNVOTES

I know you're on the right side of this and I am not attacking you personally. The "what if it was your daughter/mother/sister/girlfriend?" thing needs to stop. I get what the point is and its coming from the right place, but it's kinda shitty. It implies that women are their relationship to men before they're just human beings. It just perpetuates the idea of women belonging to men. Not actively, but shit like "Hey man, that's someone's daughter (or whatever)" in response to, say, something like street harassment is like saying "Hey, think of how another man would feel about this"

I never thought about it that way.

While your point is valid, I don't think it's that clear cut, and not what he meant (I'm guessing)

Think of it more like "what if it was your friend?".  It's just implying that the only reason he doesn't care is because he has no emotional attachment to the person.  Family ties (of marriage or blood) tend to be the strongest emotional ties so it's a default comparison to make.

yeah but you still listen to bands that do support the rapist

I can't think of one band I listen to that supports him, but I'm not even taking it this far.  I have no problem with Will continuing to listen to Four Year Strong jams.  I just couldn't personally continue to give my money to a band that is involved with this.  Continuing to listen to Pure Noise bands is the least of my worries for thatvinylguy right now.  He's made it clear numerous times that he doesn't give a fuck that a woman was raped and it was covered up for so long by dudes in the scene who pose as moral crusaders until something fucked up actually happens that involves them actually taking a stand, even if it is out of their comfort zone.

I never thought about it that way.

It's part of the same brand of sexism where a dude is more likely to stop bothering a woman at a bar if she says she has a boyfriend than If she just says she isn't interested. "You don't want to talk to me? Whatever, I'm gonna keep talking to you. Oh wait, I'm encroaching on another dude's property?! My bad."

Except that I would have said the same thing if the dude I was talking to was a woman, then it's "hey lady, what if this person was your mother, sister, friend, girlfriend."

It's more, what if this was a person you cared about that this had happened to.

I also would have said the same thing if it was a dude who was sexually assaulted but I would have used different gender pronouns.

I like you Bruce, but you get really worked up about gender stuff that shouldn't be a problem.

This isn't a gender issue, it's a sexual assault issue.

I can see that applying for girlfriend/daughter, but not so much for mother/sister.  But that just goes to show that it's ingrained in my head that girlfriends or daughters are often seen as being "owned" (for lack of a better word), by men.

BUT BACK ON TOPIC.

As the person said above you. I'm one of the people who doesn't care if I don't have an emotional attachment to someone. I don't know the victim, Harry, JJR or any of the members of involved bands on a personal level so I'm not going to lose sleep over this at all. I'm just happy that fps and no good news are both off the label.

No one here cares about any of those people, what everyone is taken aback by in regards to your comments is the fact that you don't see how your attitude directly supports and perpetrates a culture that is indifferent to sexism and sexual assault.

It's not that you don't care about Harry/the victim, it's that you don't care about rape or sexual assault in general.

having a daughter, it's exactly how I look at it. and from that point as a father, it's not implying a woman belonging to a man. i don't even get that. i would think that if anything, that perspective would see them as a human before anything. I picture my daughter in this situation. my POV and 2¢.

I can assure you if the genders were switched people wouldn't be making such a big deal out of it. Which is the sad, sexist truth.

Except that I would have said the same thing if the dude I was talking to was a woman, then it's "hey lady, what if this person was your mother, sister, friend, girlfriend."

It's more, what if this was a person you cared about that this had happened to.

I also would have said the same thing if it was a dude who was sexually assaulted but I would have used different gender pronouns.

I like you Bruce, but you get really worked up about gender stuff that shouldn't be a problem.

This isn't a gender issue, it's a sexual assault issue.

I can assure you if the genders were switched people wouldn't be making such a big deal out of it. Which is the sad, sexist truth.

This is true, and also a separate issue entirely.

AND, it would be a shame that people didn't care about the dude being raped.  It would be no less a tragedy than when it happens to a female.

Clearly though, you wouldn't care about either scenario.

I've not followed this story to much.  If I remember correctly this was brought up on here a while back, and that was the only time I've heard about this.  Mostly because these bands are nothing I'd ever be into.  

Because of that my input will have to be of the hypothetical variety.

If a band / band member of a band I'm into has something like this happen I'm done with them.  It's not just a matter of not supporting them further it's ridding myself of everything of that band.  

If a band I'm into is on a label that has a band with a member who sexually assaulted someone I'd expect that they publicly shame said band and distance themselves as much as possible.  Including not doing show with them.  

If a band I'm into is on a label like this one where the head of it is defending / hiding the abuser I'd expect them to do anything possible to get themselves removed from the label.  

There are certain things like sexual assault and domestic violence where individuals and society need to make clear that no exceptions this will not be tolerated.  Abusers are not only abusing their victims, they are putting that fear into everyone.  That is exactly why we need more "street justice" in instances like this one.  If the legal system lets the victim down then moral citizens should act to ensure appropriate punishment.  

I've not followed this story to much.  If I remember correctly this was brought up on here a while back, and that was the only time I've heard about this.  Mostly because these bands are nothing I'd ever be into.  

Because of that my input will have to be of the hypothetical variety.

If a band / band member of a band I'm into has something like this happen I'm done with them.  It's not just a matter of not supporting them further it's ridding myself of everything of that band.  

If a band I'm into is on a label that has a band with a member who sexually assaulted someone I'd expect that they publicly shame said band and distance themselves as much as possible.  Including not doing show with them.  

If a band I'm into is on a label like this one where the head of it is defending / hiding the abuser I'd expect them to do anything possible to get themselves removed from the label.  

There are certain things like sexual assault and domestic violence where individuals and society need to make clear that no exceptions this will not be tolerated.  Abusers are not only abusing their victims, they are putting that fear into everyone.  That is exactly why we need more "street justice" in instances like this one.  If the legal system lets the victim down then moral citizens should act to ensure appropriate punishment.  

Whoa, whoa, whoa. We have a legal system for a reason. This young woman has brought no legal charges against this person.

No. This behavior should not be tolerated, but I can't support vigilante justice. While I agree that action should be taken when there are allegations like this, this is very much a case of he said/she said. It's a terrible situation, but "lynching" someone when there is an allegation but very little evidence isn't right either.