PO: Coheed & Cambria - The Color Before the Sun

What if the new record is secretly, conceptually just balls? Like, the band is writing a concept album where they exist in an alternate universe where they've lost all ability to write engaging lyrics or instrumental passages. The graphic novel could just be Claudio and gang laughing profusely for 80 panels, with a final shot of them carrying money bags into a bank.

Just let it sink in.

Is that an actual lyric from the song? Wow. And touché. Claudio's digging pretty deep, eh? I was an avid Coheed fanboy back in the day, but this is tough to digest.

Yeah, it is unfortunately. (a big part of the reason I called the lyrics sophomoric earlier).

The song is pure garbage, and this coming from a dude who, up through GA:1, Coheed was his favorite band. I saw them 5 or 6 times in high school, had a signed first edition of Amory Wars comic, all that shit. It's a real bummer. :/

What if the new record is secretly, conceptually just balls? Like, the band is writing a concept album where they exist in an alternate universe where they've lost all ability to write engaging lyrics or instrumental passages. The graphic novel could just be Claudio and gang laughing profusely for 80 panels, with a final shot of them carrying money bags into a bank.

Just let it sink in.

Hahaha!

I thought that was their best song since 2007, so apparently I'm a child.

Nah, you like what you like. No harm there. There's no point in forcing yourself to feel one way or another about it – I personally (probably) won't even check this release out, but I don't feel the need to piss on anyone's parade. I'm hyped for those who are hyped, and I'm eager to read opinions - good or bad - whenever everyone gets a chance to sit down with it.

I am just ready to hear all of the tracks. I know they won't tell a story, but the opening and closing of the single feels like they are shifting between tracks. The closing bit definitely sounds like something I want to hear. The new single is not my favorite Coheed track, but I do like it for what it is. It gets stuck in my head for hours. I also really like that this album will allow them to release some singles with possible b-sides that we only have on MP3/ CD. I'm looking at you "Deranged"

Yep. They'll probably put up preorders on the 10th with the new single. If they are on the ball, this shit is already ordered. However I have a feeling that the vinyl won't arrive in time for Christmas.

Luckily I get paid Friday haha

I am just ready to hear all of the tracks. I know they won't tell a story, but the opening and closing of the single feels like they are shifting between tracks. The closing bit definitely sounds like something I want to hear. The new single is not my favorite Coheed track, but I do like it for what it is. It gets stuck in my head for hours. I also really like that this album will allow them to release some singles with possible b-sides that we only have on MP3/ CD. I'm looking at you "Deranged"

agreed with the catchiness, its been in my head for a couple of days now. I too fell off once NWFT came out, but this is the first of their material in years to get me excited. I'm excited its not a concept album as some of that stuff deterred me as well. That being said I saw them in 2013 with BTBAM and they still put on a fantastic show. I hadn't seen them since they were touring for SSTB so it was exciting to hear more of their catalog live.

I saw them in 2013 with BTBAM and they still put on a fantastic show. I hadn't seen them since they were touring for SSTB so it was exciting to hear more of their catalog live.

LITERALLY EXACTLY what happened with me. I saw them open for the Used in 2002 (or 2003?) prior to IKS being released. I didn't have the opportunity to see them live again until Radio City Music Hall.  I never stopped loving them, but I have my faves and least faves. It doesn't matter if this entire album is shit (it won't be), I will never NOT be a Coca fanboy in some way or another. I showed my Amory Wars collection to one of my nerdy comicbook friends, to which he replied "what's it like to be insane?"

My point is if I hate this LP, I'll still love Coheed. :)

Everyone needs to remember that every Coheed album HAS to have that one or two pop songs that are radio-ready. This is that song, and their hype song. It's the reason it was released so early, to generate radio and pop-culture hype for Coheed; it's a smart move.

This is their "Blood Red Summer" of the album I hope. I like the song, it's not my favorite, but it reminds me a lot of Atlas. And the ending musical part leads me to believe the song after this is dark. 

Everyone needs to remember that every Coheed album HAS to have that one or two pop songs that are radio-ready. This is that song, and their hype song. It's the reason it was released so early, to generate radio and pop-culture hype for Coheed; it's a smart move.

I'm hoping that, since they have children now, they will do an entire album of child-based tracks. "Mailtime," "Let It Go," and "Dora the Explorer Medley"- I can hear Claudio now: "Swiiii-high-per...SWIPER...NOOOO-OOOO-OOO SWI-HIGH-PIIIIIING! backpack-BAAAAAAA-AAAA-CK PAAAAAACK!" and the guitar in "Let It Go" would be epic!

You are correct, but they were both REALLY poppy. Like, "when did Blink-182 get talent" poppy.

Agreed. Which is a great thing in my opinion. Claudio has some damn good pop sensibilities. Currently listening to Ten Speed actually. If they wouldn't have stuck to the concept, they easily could've written albums worth of great pop hooks.

Yeah, that's the song I meant. The music video was all over MTV at the time, and everyone I hated (good ol' teenager angst) was singing "GOOD EYE, SNIPER!!"

That's funny, because only the "cool kids", ie. skateboarders and punks, at my school were into Coheed until like five years ago, so it was always nice hearing it from across the hall.

In rural Indiana in 2004, if anyone you knew was into underground music, you were all friends solely based on that fact. We had to stick together.

That's funny, because only the "cool kids", ie. skateboarders and punks, at my school were into Coheed until like five years ago, so it was always nice hearing it from across the hall.

In rural Indiana in 2004, if anyone you knew was into underground music, you were all friends solely based on that fact. We had to stick together.

I went to an ultra-conservative mormon schools, so those of us 20 our of 3000 that weren't mormon banded to together, and were into the underground music, and "prided" ourselves on being into things the rest of the high school clique wasn't. So when all of the sudden Coheed blew up and people we hated for excluding us for being different were into our music, that was hard for teenage me to handle haha. 

I went to an ultra-conservative mormon schools, so those of us 20 our of 3000 that weren't mormon banded to together, and were into the underground music, and "prided" ourselves on being into things the rest of the high school clique wasn't. So when all of the sudden Coheed blew up and people we hated for excluding us for being different were into our music, that was hard for teenage me to handle haha.

Completely understand the frustration haha. Coheed, Brand New, Taking Back Sunday, and a whole slew of others eventually made their way into the ears of the popular kids my senior year. They started coming to school proclaiming "Have you heard Louder Now?!?" And at the time I was like "Yeah, it's their worst fucking record. Listen to the old shit, Blake."