Bands that autograph on the vinyl

I would never be into getting an autograph from a punk or hardcore band. Part of the appeal of punk music for me, is that the guys in the band are the same as the guys in the audience.

Asking a punk band for an autograph, would be like asking one of my friends for an autograph because he told a joke I liked or something. If there is one thing I can't stand, it's when someone in a somewhat popular punk band thinks they are a rock star.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

to me, it's another way of saying "hey i met this guy" instead of taking a picture or something. i also see a band/artist signing a poster/cd cover as having a painter or artist signing their paintings/prints. i dont know, maybe i'm alone in this. but maybe that's just me.

Im with you, I only have posters and a cd booklet signed. I think its rad, i can say i met these dudes and they we cool enough to sign some shit for me. i wouldnt have them sign a vinyl but i like love posters and only if i was there when it was signed.

the only record that I have gotten signed personally was my Pelican "Pink Mammoth" 10" because at the show I had been drinking quite a bit and thought it would be awesome if they all signed above the pictures of themselves on the insert. and it is awesome. It also gave me a brief chance to talk to a band that I admire greatly. its one of my favorite records I own now.

My friend came running over a few months saying "HOLY FUCK, Aaron Wamack signed my Me and Him Call it Us EP". I slapped him and pointed out that other than the 2 of us I doubt anyone in the whole of Europe knows who the fuck he is, shit, if there's 10 people in the world who care I bet that's it.

AARON IS A REALLY AWESOME DUDE. REALLY GREAT DUDE, ACTUALLY. dude smashed his fucking thumb in a real heavy door, shit was spewing blood, dude duct taped it, and played a set like 20 minutes later. i have a picture of his snare after the set, shit is straight bannon-esque.

dude also skated down this hill in DC and got all scraped and was un-phased. what a great dude. kris was a great dude, too. we all think blake hated us a lot. real off-track. but aaron, great dude.

Eh, I've got a fair amount of autographed things (cd's, vinyl [not the actual record], posters, etc..) I usually do it because that thing means something to me. No one has ever been like LAME, no autograph dude. A majority of the people have thought it was cool that someone actually like what they did well enough to have it signed.

I have an autographed CD of the GET UP KIDS - Something to write home about, but it's only because i friend gave it too me because he thought i'd like a autographed cd, i didn't want to dissapoint him.. so i took it.. Still have too...

Oh and my JUNO SOuntrrack LP was signed by MICHAEL CERA but that's because my ex-roomie worked with him and thought it would be funny to have him sign it for me and send it as a gift.. which i thought was fucking awesome of her and him to sign..

Here's what I have signed (records-wise)...and I had forgotten about some until I went through my pics.

Rollins Band - Nice - signed by Henry Rollins

[image]

AFI - decemberundergorund 7" box set - signed by band

[image]

Minus the Bear - Planet Of Ice - signed by band

[image]

Heather Nova - Live From The Milky Way 10" signed by Heather (on back of jacket)

[image]

I also have the Fear Before The March Of Flames "Art Damage" pic disc signed by the band (out of 100 as put out by Suburban Home) but no pic.

I've gotten a few items signed. Mostly stuff like, "Hey I was here, I like this band it's something to remember it by".

I know I got my Lagwagon "Duh" signed by Joey when I interviewed him. I've been a huge Lagwagon fan forever and to meet Joey and talk to him was something I wanted to remember and now, whenever I bust that out, I do.

I had Jason Webely sign a copy of "Only Just Beginning" because it was the only way I could get my wife to let me put it on the wall (I love all of his art). He signed it "Dear Katie, Weeeeeeeeeee!".

Anyhow, I don't think I've ever purchased an item because it was signed but I'm not opposed to it. But god...why sign the record itself? At least sign the center label if you're going to do that.

I have probably told this story before, but last August I drove a billion miles to DC to see Neko Case at the 9:30 Club. Her guitarist and I got to talking for a bit. Neko was under the weather and just hanging on the bus so he offered to have her sign my Blacklisted LP for me.

He brings it back and almost every member of the band had signed it on the back, including a big "Love, Neko" on the front. I know it's not "cool" to like autographs or whatever - I'm not too embarassed to say I was stoked.