Bernie 2016

That's true. I don't believe in any type of handout though.

That's fair I suppose. I don't agree exactly but it's all good.

Though, you could probably argue free birth control and better sex education would lead to less handouts overall, over the theoretical lifetime of the hypothetical child and parents.

Less people, less hands, if you will.

In fairness to that dude though. We don't know if he is on the dole. You can be from LA and still hate government assistance.

Agreed. I just think it's funny that the top 10 or 15 states that get more than they give when it comes to taxes, are overwhelmingly conservative/red states, where you constantly hear sweeping generalizations about welfare or handouts. Obviously, I don't know Konk's personal situation, but thought it was worth pointing out.

It has to do with income.

Like egg said, Obamacare was torn apart in congress. It's not 100% what he wanted but it's what he could get through. How your employer or insurance company reacts is not his fault. They are scumbags who fuck people over and then pass the blame to Obama, don't fall for their bullshit.

Thanks to Obama insurance companies can no longer deny claims for pre-existing conditions. If you don't think that's an amazing thing you're sick in the head and should seek help. Help that will be covered by insurance despite it being a pre-existing condition.

People don't really get the pre-existing condition bit. It's not just for folks with life threatening diseases. Pre-ACA, insurance companies could drop someone for something as manageable and common as asthma. It's ridiculous. These are the things people don't think about when they shit talk healthcare in this country. There's plenty to complain about, but don't start with Obamacare. That isn't the problem.

(That is not directed at you, Bruce. It's in addition to your post!)

Insurance should never cover birth control unless the birth will cause a death. Then it's debatable.

Get outta here. Condoms are free. Most insurances cover 100% of erectile dysfunction medications for men... but birth control shouldn't be free?

When I was on birth control (which was because I have a chronic blood disorder - meaning I bleed uncontrollably - meaning I could start my period and never stop until I bled out to death), it cost me $40 a month pre-ACA. Had I not had insurance at all, it would cost me over $1000 a month. Is that ok? Is it ok for insurance to never cover a medication that allows me to not bleed to death?

& That's not even tapping into the whole birth control is cheaper than an unwanted pregnancy for a woman or family who can't afford it and therefore end up on food stamps or other government aid. Like ??? Where's your logic here?

My logic is that it is not a necessity. For you it is.

It is a necessity.The same people who think birth control is a "hand out" are the same idiots that say this country is overcrowded with minorities that sit on their asses and accept welfare and would prefer to put them in jail. That costs a lot more money than some cheap pills. But yeah, women should have to choose between not having a baby and lunch. 

Snippet from the speech including that quote:

“You’ve heard about the controversies within the bill, the process about the bill, one or the other. But I don’t know if you have heard that it is legislation for the future, not just about health care for America, but about a healthier America, where preventive care is not something that you have to pay a deductible for or out of pocket. Prevention, prevention, prevention — it’s about diet, not diabetes. It’s going to be very, very exciting.

“But we have to pass the bill so that you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy. Furthermore, we believe that health care reform, again I said at the beginning of my remarks, that we sent the three pillars that the President’s economic stabilization and job creation initiatives were education and innovation — innovation begins in the classroom — clean energy and climate, addressing the climate issues in an innovative way to keep us number one and competitive in the world with the new technology, and the third, first among equals I may say, is health care, health insurance reform. Health insurance reform is about jobs. This legislation alone will create 4 million jobs, about 400,000 jobs very soon.

She was essentially saying there were tons of lies and bullshit flying around the media about what the law was, and people will really see the benefits once it's passed. You fell right into Bill O'Reily's trap!

It is a necessity.The same people who think birth control is a "hand out" are the same idiots that say this country is overcrowded with minorities that sit on their asses and accept welfare and would prefer to put them in jail. That costs a lot more money than some cheap pills. But yeah, women should have to choose between not having a baby and lunch.

There are other ways to prevent pregnancy. I wasn't calling birth control a hand out. I don't think they belong in jail. Not having a baby is free.

My logic is that it is not a necessity. For you it is.

Double check your math cause you fucked something up.

Simplified: Too poor to afford birth control? Unwanted child(ren). Poor person with unwanted children? More government assistance, another person on this overcrowded planet that is running out of resources, and another person forced to live a shitty life of poverty.

If you say that people who can't afford birth control shouldn't fuck I will burn this entire thread to the ground with all of us still in it.

There are many medical treatments and medicines that people want to receive/take but they are not covered by insurance because they are not a medical necessity.

People don't get medically necessary surgeries all the time because our healthcare is shit. Not because they're not medically necessary. You need a lesson in cause and effect, my friend.