Bernie 2016

1 hour ago, YouTwo said:

He sold a house he didn't use to buy a house that he will use.  Cool.  I don't know about Real Estate markets in VT, but $600,000 for lake front property doesn't seem very expensive.  

The whole point is that he owns 3 houses, of which his summer house cost $600k. I'm sure his joint in DC cost close to a cool mil. Homie goes around railing about wealth inequality, but he owns probably $2,000,000 worth of property.

This doesn't seem hypocritical to you? He may not be part of the "super rich," but he's definitely rich enough that that money could be "better spent" elsewhere according to many of his supporters/himself.

edit: did a little checking, his DC row house is probably only worth ~$500k, but he does also own a rental property in addition to his two homes and summer house. Makes $170k/yr being a senator, plus his wife's income and whatever properties she owns that haven't been disclosed (formerly a property in Maine that was sold to buy this summer house.)

Edited by The Ghost of Randy Savage

Bernie built his campaign around the idea that anyone owning over 2 million dollars in real estate has to use their money in a way that he believes it is "better spent" (Sanders, NBC Meet the Press, 05/15/2016).  So, finding out that he owns over 2 million dollars in real estate is highly hypocritical.  He's doing exactly what he said is wrong to do and what all his followers were fighting against.

I'm not trying to start an argument.  But from everything I've read, all 3 of his homes are pretty modest.  I don't know how much a 900sq. ft. row home in DC goes for.  Did he actually say 2 million?  I was trying to find that Meet the Press interview but the only thing I can find about a May 15 episode is that NBC showed a soccer game instead of it that day.  Again, not trying to start an argument.  I was just interested to see the interview.  

1 hour ago, rds said:

Bernie built his campaign around the idea that anyone owning over 2 million dollars in real estate has to use their money in a way that he believes it is "better spent" (Sanders, NBC Meet the Press, 05/15/2016).  So, finding out that he owns over 2 million dollars in real estate is highly hypocritical.  He's doing exactly what he said is wrong to do and what all his followers were fighting against.

BTW.  I was being sarcastic.  Sanders didn't campaign on the idea that ANY amount of wealth is bad or that you have to be middle or lower class and give the rest of your money to an approved cause.  Him owning real estate changes very little when it comes to his talking points and his ability to convey them without hypocrisy.  Your energy would be better spent grilling him for supporting Clinton as there are stronger cases for that being idealistically hypocritical.

2 minutes ago, cantdance said:

Dude could be making a lot more money and buying a lot more real estate. Why are we begrudging a successful person from buying a summer home in the late years of his life?

Because his entire political platform is built around wealth disparity and he happens to be quite wealthy, which he has repeatedly denied.

30 minutes ago, rooks said:

that's my boy. trump makes no qualms about loving luxury.

For a politician he is probably one of the least wealthy people in his position. Not going to argue semantics, but his platform was about the super rich (as in no where close to the money he makes) the wage gap that corporations and politicians openly perpetuate.

3 minutes ago, cantdance said:

For a politician he is probably one of the least wealthy people in his position. Not going to argue semantics, but his platform was about the super rich (as in no where close to the money he makes) the wage gap that corporations and politicians openly perpetuate.

lol. bernie sanders is in the top 5%

edit: that was 2014. probably top 1% now from all the clinton cash.

Edited by WAXXX

3 minutes ago, cantdance said:

I don't disagree with the first part, but the fact that he put his net worth at less than that summer house cost doesn't rub you the wrong way? The fact that many of his assets are hidden under his wife's name to make him look less wealthy doesn't seem like a lie to you?

If you don't see the lies and hypocrisy there I'm not going to convince you, but that's some shady stuff.

I'm not for Trump, or Hilary either...I just think people should know when they've been misled.

Billionaire vs millionaire makes little difference to me, though I know there is a huge difference because I don't expect I'll ever be either.

13 minutes ago, YouTwo said:

Oh come on!  The house was at least true.  Now we're just throwing baseless internet memes around?

the only thing that's inconclusive is whether bernie actually owns the audi (or used campaign money to buy it). it's definitely him in the car.

feel free to show me your conclusive proof. snopes rules rumor inconclusive.

15 minutes ago, WAXXX said:

the only thing that's inconclusive is whether bernie actually owns the audi (or used campaign money to buy it). it's someone that looks like him in the car.

feel free to show me your conclusive proof. snopes rules rumor inconclusive.

Fixed it for you.  

1 hour ago, cantdance said:

Why are we begrudging a successful person from buying a summer home in the late years of his life?

You're right. Tax the shit out of him instead. Redistribute that income he doesn't "need". If young adults who actually need the money they earn have to support elderly people who didn't plan for retirement surely the successful elderly citizens should reciprocate. 

It's only fair. ;)

What we 100% know:

- Bernie built his entire platform around the idea that no one should be rich and, if you are, he is going to go after you to redistribute your wealth to social programs until your income goes back down to middle/lower class.

- Bernie is rich and he tried to lie to us and hide it.

- Bernie collected millions in campaign contributions.  And now he owns an Audi R8.  Do the math.

What we aren't yet 100% sure of:

- Nothing.