Bernie 2016

He's fun to watch. I don't think he'd make a good president but I think he'd make a great adviser. He's got a great head for business, he just.. isn't the most diplomatic in how he presents things. Somewhat akin to a rich and older Cartman.

Dude has filed for bankruptcy multiple times...he doesn't have a "good head" for ANYTHING related to money, including business. His Dad gave him a fortune...he did nothing to get where he is.

I heard on CNN this morning that Trump is #1 in the polls and is double digits ahead of the rest of the candidates.

Trump is not a legit candidate at all and it will be proven during the debates.  polls right now are stupid and pointless.  polls after the debates actually start is different.  

• 2 weeks later...

Who, the journalist who took what he said out of context, or Bernie?

but also this:

i'll give you my gun when you pry it from my cold, dead hands.

I really do not understand why people get bent out of shape over guns.

They're basically just extremely dangerous toys that serve no practical purpose. 

The data makes it pretty clear that having a gun in your home is significantly more of a danger to the occupants of the home than any "bad guy".  On the other hand, I don't really care if your kid shoots you in the face.

Like I've said before and you can probably gather from pretty much any of my posts, I'm extremely liberal. I think we need STRICT gun control and I believe there is no reason to ever own an assault weapon.

While I think in a lot of cases guns ARE just dangerous toys, I do believe there are legitimate reasons to own them. I think trophy hunting is abhorrent and that dentist who killed a lion deserves all the public shaming he's gotten and then some more. BUT things like deer hunting are actually a population control necessity. I'm also mostly vegetarian and haven't eaten red meat in over two decades but have no problem with someone killing and eating a deer. It's one of the few cases I'm ok with that kind of thing. The meat industry is horrific and disgusting. But without hunting the deer population can go crazy and be harmful to humans AND the deer themselves.

It should be way more difficult to obtain or posess a firearm though.

Like I've said before and you can probably gather from pretty much any of my posts, I'm extremely liberal. I think we need STRICT gun control and I believe there is no reason to ever own an assault weapon.

While I think in a lot of cases guns ARE just dangerous toys, I do believe there are legitimate reasons to own them. I think trophy hunting is abhorrent and that dentist who killed a lion deserves all the public shaming he's gotten and then some more. BUT things like deer hunting are actually a population control necessity. I'm also mostly vegetarian and haven't eaten red meat in over two decades but have no problem with someone killing and eating a deer. It's one of the few cases I'm ok with that kind of thing. The meat industry is horrific and disgusting. But without hunting the deer population can go crazy and be harmful to humans AND the deer themselves.

It should be way more difficult to obtain or posess a firearm though.

I grew up in rural Wisconsin and see no issue with your standard hunting rifles/shotgun whatever. 

However, I do think the country would be a much better place if we tossed every handgun into a pile and melted them down.

But I'm not going to vote based on that either.  There's other stuff far more pressing to worry about.

There is no way any gun owner is going to willingly give up their stuff. Even if they did. Guns would still manage to get into the homes of those who only mean harm. Then the people who own them for protection would be fucked.

I grew up (and still live) in Lowell, MA. Which is ghetto as fuck. That movie The Fighter with Christian Bale and Mark Wahlberg happened in Lowell. So many crackheads. Drugs fill the city.

There's been at least one to two deaths every week this summer to violence. One of which happened last week where an innocent man broke up a fight at a gas station down the street from me. Minutes later he was followed and yanked out of his car and beaten to death all around 5 pm. No guns were used... So it's not like that will solve violence anyway. But maybe if this innocent man had a gun, he could have defended himself against this group of people.

I'd rather defend my home with an M4 over a pistol any day. Way easier to shoot accurately but maybe it's because I need to practice more with a pistol.

The whole "if you outlaw handguns, only the bad guys will have handguns" argument is absurd.  

First, if you dramatically reduce the pool of available handguns, there will OBVIOUSLY still be handguns available if you really want one.  The price goes up dramatically and selling it becomes risky.  That alone should price out the average crackhead.

This is true of any consumer good that has been banned or ceased to be manufactured.  I haven't seen anybody out using their set of lawn darts recently.

And your friend who was beaten to death in broad daylight--he could just as easily been shot to death.  point is moot.

The whole "if you outlaw handguns, only the bad guys will have handguns" argument is absurd.

First, if you dramatically reduce the pool of available handguns, there will OBVIOUSLY still be handguns available if you really want one. The price goes up dramatically and selling it becomes risky. That alone should price out the average crackhead.

This is true of any consumer good that has been banned or ceased to be manufactured. I haven't seen anybody out using their set of lawn darts recently.

And your friend who was beaten to death in broad daylight--he could just as easily been shot to death. point is moot.

His point absolutely is not moot.

The fact is the guy was beaten to death by a group of people, not shot. If that same group of people had attacked me, one or more of them would be dead, not me (concealed carry). That's his point.

I'm not strong enough to fight off two or three people on my own, hand to hand. But you'd better believe if three violent men approach me intimidatingly, that gun is coming out and they're either going to decide trying to fight me is a bad idea, or they're going to find out what a bad idea it is.

His point absolutely is not moot.

The fact is the guy was beaten to death by a group of people, not shot. If that same group of people had attacked me, one or more of them would be dead, not me (concealed carry). That's his point.

I'm not strong enough to fight off two or three people on my own, hand to hand. But you'd better believe if three violent men approach me intimidatingly, that gun is coming out and they're either going to decide trying to fight me is a bad idea, or they're going to find out what a bad idea it is.

assuming the world is perfect and everybody has a gun, you still lose.

assuming the world is perfect and everybody has a gun, you still lose.

Why would anyone consider that "everyone has a gun?"

And in this case specifically why would you, since they beat this man to death.

Generally the person who has their gun out first will still "win" anyway.

Why would anyone consider that "everyone has a gun?"

And in this case specifically why would you, since they beat this man to death.

Generally the person who has their gun out first will still "win" anyway.

It's just the logical conclusion of the "more guns = safer" philosophy.  if we're living in the safest world, everybody has a gun (and is walking around gun drawn in order have their gun drawn first).  

(Side note--they also say that the guy who throws the first punch wins.  That doesn't hold true in a 3:1 either)

HOWEVER, at this point I simply have to concede that this is exactly the sort of argument that I'm not all that concerned with and does not impact my vote one way or the other.

Thankfully the NRA is devoting all of their life-saving energies on the inner city.  Y'all can have your cowboy shootout.  It doesn't affect me.