Bernie 2016

It's just the logical conclusion of the "more guns = safer" philosophy.  if we're living in the safest world, everybody has a gun (and is walking around gun drawn in order have their gun drawn first).  

(Side note--they also say that the guy who throws the first punch wins.  That doesn't hold true in a 3:1 either)

HOWEVER, at this point I simply have to concede that this is exactly the sort of argument that I'm not all that concerned with and does not impact my vote one way or the other.

Thankfully the NRA is devoting all of their life-saving energies on the inner city.  Y'all can have your cowboy shootout.  It doesn't affect me.  

I don't think anyone in here has said this^^ but you... I don't want everyone to have guns. Fuck, I wish nobody but me had a gun.

Throwing punches is also very different from moving your hand slightly and firing a shot, especially against 3 people. I don't know if you've just never had any sort of experience with a firearm, or if you're being deliberately difficult/trying not to understand, but a 3:1 hand to hand fight is very different than 3 people approaching someone to beat them to death, and that victim pointing a gun at them.

You started out by saying that the whole world would be safer if we just tossed all the handguns in a pile and melted them down, but obviously "bad guys" aren't going to do that.

I just wonder why all of your arguments go so far to the extreme immediately. I'm trying to have a rational conversation explaining why in this specific case, someone with a gun, who knows how to use it may have been safer. You respond with what? Everyone is walking around with guns drawn all the time? You do know that's insane (and very illegal), right?

Nobody wants to have a shoot out. I hope I never ever have to actually use my gun, but like some people say, I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. It's the same reason I have an emergency preparedness kit; I don't hope for an earthquake or volcanic eruption, but if one happens I'm ready.

I don't want everyone to have guns. Fuck, I wish nobody but me had a gun.

Oh, so you're in favor of gun control?

The reason I move to the extreme is because that's the pro-gun argument.  more guns = safer.  

You can't use a specific (made up) example of 1 gun-toting good guy versus 3 unarmed evil-doers to prove that out.  

Since guns are simple/cheap to obtain and are essential to safety, then you should assume that every person has one.  The fantasy showdown now becomes 3 guys with guns coming for our hero.  They just shoot him though.  It's very sad.

Oh, so you're in favor of gun control?

The reason I move to the extreme is because that's the pro-gun argument.  more guns = safer.  

You can't use a specific (made up) example of 1 gun-toting good guy versus 3 unarmed evil-doers to prove that out.  

Since guns are simple/cheap to obtain and are essential to safety, then you should assume that every person has one.  The fantasy showdown now becomes 3 guys with guns coming for our hero.  They just shoot him though.  It's very sad.

I'm absolutely in favor of gun control, but I think it needs to be reasonable.

I agree with stricter background checks on gun purchases.

I think that people with a history of mental illness need to be ok'd by a mental health professional prior to owning a firearm.

I also agree that "gunshow loopholes" are crazy.

I don't think that guns should be banned, or that guns are the cause of our country's problems. I own firearms responsibly.

I keep them locked in a safe when one isn't physically on my person, and no one but I knows the combination to that safe.

I always assume a firearm is loaded unless I have visually and physically checked that is not, and locked the slide open.

I always look for a nonviolent solution to any situation before resorting to any kind of violence, especially gun violence.

I know that if you I have to pull out a weapon, it is to kill, and unless I'm prepared to do that it will never leave my holster.

Even if I had to pull my gun out, I know to never let my finger inside the trigger guard unless I am firing that weapon.

I've practiced with my firearms to be able to use them proficiently.

My wife can learn the combo to the safe only after she agrees to learn to use them properly (she has not yet, she has no desire to ever use a firearm, but she does carry police grade mace).

We don't plan to ever have children, so I don't worry about that.

If other people followed the basic rules of gun safety, there would be far fewer problems. The issue becomes illegally owned firearms and people who store their firearms improperly.

Personally, I always assume that everyone is carrying a gun, and in a case like the one we've described above (3 men approaching one person) more than likely I would just leave and call the police before it became an issue where I needed to use my firearm. I would feel much more comfortable if confronted with a situation that I couldn't escape if I had my firearm, though.

I really do not understand why people get bent out of shape over guns.

They're basically just extremely dangerous toys that serve no practical purpose.

The data makes it pretty clear that having a gun in your home is significantly more of a danger to the occupants of the home than any "bad guy". On the other hand, I don't really care if your kid shoots you in the face.

Could you be any more ignorant?

I think that people with a history of mental illness need to be ok'd by a mental health professional prior to owning a firearm.

I don't think that guns should be banned, or that guns are the cause of our country's problems. I own firearms responsibly.

I keep them locked in a safe when one isn't physically on my person, and no one but I knows the combination to that safe.

I always assume a firearm is loaded unless I have visually and physically checked that is not, and locked the slide open.

I always look for a nonviolent solution to any situation before resorting to any kind of violence, especially gun violence.

I know that if you I have to pull out a weapon, it is to kill, and unless I'm prepared to do that it will never leave my holster.

Even if I had to pull my gun out, I know to never let my finger inside the trigger guard unless I am firing that weapon.

My wife can learn the combo to the safe only after she agrees to learn to use them properly (she has not yet, she has no desire to ever use a firearm, but she does carry police grade mace).

If other people followed the basic rules of gun safety, there would be far fewer problems. The issue becomes illegally owned firearms and people who store their firearms improperly.

Personally, I always assume that everyone is carrying a gun, and in a case like the one we've described above (3 men approaching one person) more than likely I would just leave and call the police before it became an issue where I needed to use my firearm. I would feel much more comfortable if confronted with a situation that I couldn't escape if I had my firearm, though.

I'm with you, brother. Required training and mandatory psych evaluations (with regular follow ups) for anyone applying to purchase a firearm as well as an in home inspection to ensure they are prepared to store it safely.

I'm not sure how you close the gun show trading bit, but I guess you may as well make the original purchaser of the gun responsible for any crimes committed with their weapon until they divest themselves of it through an authorized broker who is then responsible for it until they have sold it.

Please. I grew up in a state with the country's strictest gun laws and saw how that didn't deter a thing. So no, more gun control is not the answer.

That's what we in the Internet-arguing business call "fallacy". I can just as easily point to your state as evidence that we need national gun control laws that exceed the strictest existing state-level laws.

We wouldn't have any gun problems if everyone was like you. Unfortunately, you represent the minority of gun owners. Thank you for being responsible.

Those of you who think that stricter guns laws are not the answer: What do we do then? We are the only country that has this problem. Australia has incredibly strict gun laws and they don't have issues with gun violence like we do. How do we make our country safer?

This is a serious question, btw. I am not a gun person. Never held a gun in my life and I get anxious just thinking about shooting one or being around one when it is fired. I would like to know what other options we have since I am not well versed in the whole subculture.

Also, saying "fuck this guy" about Bernie bc of one misconstrued article about his stance on guns is pretty ignorant. You're gonna toss away all his totally logical beliefs bc of 1 article claiming he wants to ban all guns ever made? Cmon, now.

I think that there needs to be serious measures taken to get guns off the streets and to keep them out of inner cities. I'm not sure if people realize just how incredibly simple and cheap it is to get guns in most cities. I think that laws being put in place to try to curb this have a hard time getting passed or enforced because people automatically assume that the government is trying to make guns illegal for everyone. I used to live in a neighborhood in Brooklyn where shootouts happened on a regular basis. Innocent people get shot all of the time from strays. I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would be apposed to stopping this type of thing from happening. 

As for law abiding citizens owning guns, I'm all for it. I used to be very against it but I've changed my mind. Unfortunately as an American I live in a country where people feel the need to kill others at random. I don't believe people do this because guns exist. There is some other reason, and that needs to be understood with the hope that it can be prevented. I believe that I have every right to own and carry a gun. If I have to go through extensive background checks, be evaluated by doctors for my mental health, and go through training and education programs, I'm totally fine with that. I have a family to protect and I should be able to do that in any way that I see fit. 

Going off what you said, I think mental health needs to be a priority in this country. I'd like to see a longer process for a gun license just so people can be properly evaluated, screened, and ultimately treated for any and all mental illness that they may have.

The Dylann Roof scenario makes me angry. His background check defaulted because the PD that was listed on his application was incorrect and because it took longer than 48 hours to sort out, the law states that the check gets dropped and he is legally sold a gun. What a shitty loophole.

If someone needs a gun so badly within 48 hours of applying for one, there's something wrong. How is that not a red flag?

I think that there needs to be serious measures taken to get guns off the streets and to keep them out of inner cities. I'm not sure if people realize just how incredibly simple and cheap it is to get guns in most cities. I think that laws being put in place to try to curb this have a hard time getting passed or enforced because people automatically assume that the government is trying to make guns illegal for everyone. I used to live in a neighborhood in Brooklyn where shootouts happened on a regular basis. Innocent people get shot all of the time from strays. I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would be apposed to stopping this type of thing from happening. 

As for law abiding citizens owning guns, I'm all for it. I used to be very against it but I've changed my mind. Unfortunately as an American I live in a country where people feel the need to kill others at random. I don't believe people do this because guns exist. There is some other reason, and that needs to be understood with the hope that it can be prevented. I believe that I have every right to own and carry a gun. If I have to go through extensive background checks, be evaluated by doctors for my mental health, and go through training and education programs, I'm totally fine with that. I have a family to protect and I should be able to do that in any way that I see fit. 

Poor people in the inner city don't have families to protect?  If gun = protect your family and the inner city is more dangerous than outside the innner city, then clearly we need to get as many guns as possible to the inner city in order to clean up the situation.

• 1 month later...