Child's First Record Player - Recommendations?

There may be a topic on this, but I didn't find any using the search terms that seemed relevant:

I know we have some VC members with kids and I presume at least some have introduced their children to the rewarding and maddening fun of record playing.  I have a two year old who loves to listen to music, but (since she's two) wants to do everything herself and while I appreciate her enthusiasm, I'd rather my records and player don't suffer.  I've already started to get her her own set of records (she loves the Beatles and I have some old $1.00 Beatles records I let her handle), but I'm thinking of getting her her own record player as well.  Anyone who has gone through this have any recommendations?  My inclination is to go vintage, but obviously that will depend on what I can get my hands on, and I'm not opposed to something newer if it's cost-effective and of good quality.  I've noticed that some of the players I've looked at play 45s fine, but have trouble with LPs, and I'd like to get one that plays LPs well, since she likes some of the "deep cuts" off Sgt. Pepper.  I'd also like one that will hold up well and has somewhat intuitive controls - I looked at recently had the volume knob directly below the arm, which was hard enough for me to manipulate, let alone her.

Any guidance/stories would be appreciated.

Perhaps - and just perhaps - a rare instance where a Crosley is appropriate?

Perhaps.  But At least the LP60 has an aluminum platter so it may be a little more durable for a 2 year old.

BTW, to the OP.  Your 2 year old has good taste in music.  Mine just listens to The Wiggles and watches nursery rhyme videos on YouTube.

Perhaps - and just perhaps - a rare instance where a Crosley is appropriate?

My dad bought a Crosley for my son (4) because he loved the big artwork and collecting old comic book records and silly song dollar bin records. That being said i do try to instill on my son that HIS CROSLEY is just a starter player and if he continues to find interest in record collecting well get something better and less abrasive to the record

My first record player was one of my dads hand me downs with the caveat of if I broke it I learned to fix it myself, although that was around 4 or 5 so 2 does sound a little early for the school of hard knocks to start.

My own not so little girl (11) has known about music and hifi and record players since being a baby and although has always had her own system has never really shown a great deal of interest in having her own record player, which is something I have worried about constantly and sought medical advice about but fixed by buying myself more records and record players

Perhaps. But At least the LP60 has an aluminum platter so it may be a little more durable for a 2 year old.

BTW, to the OP. Your 2 year old has good taste in music. Mine just listens to The Wiggles and watches nursery rhyme videos on YouTube.

Introduce your child to Yellow Submarine, Drive My Car, and When I'm 64. S/he might like them more than you'd think.

I used to have an orange Fisher Price record player that of course my parents no longer have, but I've seen several on EBay that seem promising.

Probably not a realistic solution, but I had this as a kid. My dad told me I was never ever to play one of his records on it. I had no idea why not back then, but that's why I learned to work his system. Also, I laugh at the "ages 8 and up" on the box, I might have been done with this one by then.

FP835-1-EB499950141-B.jpg

Why not get her one of these?

2772399270_3fb1ec9355.jpg

They play real records, but they're built for kids so they can take beating. PLUS They can be found for pretty cheap.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1978-Fisher-Price-Tan-Portable-Phonograph-Record-Player-2-Speed-/291502362243?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43dee50e83

That's my plan. That's what I had when I was little. I'm going to try to find one near me via Craig's List so I know it works.

Thanks for the recommendations everybody. I'll report back after I see how it goes.

My first record player was one of my dads hand me downs with the caveat of if I broke it I learned to fix it myself, although that was around 4 or 5 so 2 does sound a little early for the school of hard knocks to start.

My own not so little girl (11) has known about music and hifi and record players since being a baby and although has always had her own system has never really shown a great deal of interest in having her own record player, which is something I have worried about constantly and sought medical advice about but fixed by buying myself more records and record players

This may be the funniest post I've ever seen from you, and that's really saying something. 10/10