I Just Completed My John Lennon Studio Albums Collection (aka Culling The Collection)

I havent met enough of you yet, but im sure theres some board members who love some older music like i do. Half price books had a half off sale today and i got Mind Games for only $4. Pretty happy about that.

I find it ironic that i picked this up after discussing with my roomate and also my girlfriend yesterday that i think i am losing interest in collecting vinyl. Not completely but this past month, ive sold a large chunk of my collection. It started because i lost my job, then a medical emergency forced me to sell my precious Sun Kil Moon collection. After selling those records i felt somewhat liberated. Like id like to get them back someday but not anytime soon. I havent really spun my records in the last few months. Ive even got a few ive yet to pop open.

Now I've been collecting for the last 11 years and its had its highs and lows. This is only the second time ive sold off some of my collection. Last time it was to fund guitar equipment. Honestly, i feel like when my finances straighten out and im comfortable ill end up buying things back.

But i guess what i wanna know is have you guys gone through this? Have you since settled into becoming a modest casual collector? I always bought vinyl to listen to it myself. But at this point i kinda just like what i have on my shelf. Theres some things ill never let go (Beatles, Bob Dylan, Mineral) but then again who really knows? Im just curious at what kind of experiences/cycles you guys have gone through in your times as collectors. Life happens to all of us and we gotta do what we gotta do, but has it liberated you or do you ultimately fall back into "The Hobby"?

Dont hate me if this topic has already been posted. I did infact look through before i posted this

There have definitely been points where I have stopped buying stuff. Usually when I am in those spots I will hold off from buying anything that isn't on my wants list. Eventually I wind up irritated that I miss something that winds up being crazy on the aftermarket. Right now I am kind of at a point where I don't buy something unless I know I will listen to it within a week of grabbing it (except for a rare novelty that is <$5 or something) with a few exceptions. 

I relate to what you said about being a casual collector. My brother's collection is probably like 1/5th the size of mine, but his is all stuff that he really likes, whereas mine has a bunch of stuff that I like and a bunch of stuff that I haven't spun in a while. I would probably downsize a little bit if there weren't records that held sentimental value and I had more time and motivation to sell other stuff.

I go through phases where I'll be at the record shop twice a week, but then have a 3 month stretch where I just focus on listening to what I have.  I recently decided to start thinning out my collection and only keeping records I intend on listening to more than once or have some sentimental attachment to.  I used to just buy anything I thought was interesting or to complete a collection (every 80s record I could find!!! lol), but now focusing on expanding my Beatles/90s alternative/shoegaze collection.  It has been fun selling my old stuff of lesser value.  Selling 20 records buys me one record I really want lol