Nadja / Aidan Baker / related - catch all thread

Thought I'd put this here, since it isn't a vinyl release and since all the Nadja nerds were here anyway:

Songs for Wong Kar​-​wai
A 5-track EP inspired by the films of Wong Kar-wai, released in conjunction with a biographical fanzine featuring paintings based on stills from Wong's film by Manfred Naescher. Part of the Wist Editions series from Wist Records, forthcoming in November, the first track streaming now as a sample.

http://nadja.bandcamp.com/album/songs-for-wong-kar-wai
Another track here:

https://youtu.be/nzL7nJZOlGs

[media][/media]

PO November 4th: http://wistrec.com/wist-ed-003/

^ Thanks for sharing!  If there's some interest, I don't see why we couldn't turn this into a Nadja / Baker catchall thread.

I'm up for that, Jon - I know some will say the drone thread is where it should go but AB is so prolific that I think between all his projects, a dedicated thread would be appropriate :)

Yeah, agreed as well!  I was reading through the Queller PO thread and there was some good discussion there about favourite releases, but this thread is as good a place as any too.

Digging these first couple of new tunes.  2046A is bit reminiscent of The Bungled and the Botched, really like the percussion work on it too.  When you play the All Memories are Traces of Tears right after it you can hear how they flow together - I like the arrangement.  And although the drum machine is still used, there is some variation from the 'standard' beat that runs through many of their releases.

Too bad it is a cd-only release, it could be a cool single-sided 12" with an etching on the back.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, agreed as well!  I was reading through the Queller PO thread and there was some good discussion there about favourite releases, but this thread is as good a place as any too.

Digging these first couple of new tunes.  2046A is bit reminiscent of The Bungled and the Botched, really like the percussion work on it too.  When you play the All Memories are Traces of Tears right after it you can hear how they flow together - I like the arrangement.  And although the drum machine is still used, there is some variation from the 'standard' beat that runs through many of their releases.

Too bad it is a cd-only release, it could be a cool single-sided 12" with an etching on the back.

Oh yeah, from the bandcamp snippet and youtube sampler, they've got that sound going that I really dig!!  Agreed too bad not wax. But I just picked up some CDs/DVDs from somewhere ?? ;) that I can listen/watch from the comfort of my laptop without getting up to turn records over.

really digging the new tracks. i like that he's been trying to change it up with new nadja releases considering there was a long stretch of everything sounding the same for a while.

Flipper, Queller, and Tangled (recommended) were all very different. Flipper being my least favorite of the three, but i appreciated it. 

But I just picked up some CDs/DVDs from somewhere ?? ;) that I can listen/watch from the comfort of my laptop without getting up to turn records over.

This is true :)

really digging the new tracks. i like that he's been trying to change it up with new nadja releases considering there was a long stretch of everything sounding the same for a while.

Flipper, Queller, and Tangled (recommended) were all very different. Flipper being my least favorite of the three, but i appreciated it. 

Tangled is amazing, agreed.  One of only a few 7" I own.  my only complaint is that the vinyl is a bit flimsy so my copies is a little warped.  Still plays fine though.  I could never get into flipper either. LOVE Queller.

I wanted to like Dagdrom, but it just didn't click.

I actually quite like Dagdrom. Those live drums add so much

Nadja talk is so appreciated, because I invested so many hours going through their whole discography! Still working through AB's and collabs.

My 2c:

Flipper: passed

Dagdrom: LOVE it! re-ignited my flame, had a spare copy at one time

Tangled 7":  just couldn't get into it... :(

There was a cassette that a friend linked me to, very limited, but I couldn't get into it, so abrasive/shrill, you know what I'm talking about, and I passed on that.

Both Nadja /Vampillia collabs are wonderful - I even play those with my wife and kids in the house.

I preorderd the new one as it says most are going to be sold on tour, and Wist has a limited number in the shop.  *edit: the Euro exchange rate is so favorable for US buyers right now, it was $13.xx shipped!!

Overall I think my hit rate for his stuff is like 25% or so.

I have a couple of things that I'm not into that were sold very inexpensive to me, that if anyone here wants, I will do for cheap.

The one thing that is so cool a concept but I just cannot get into is "The Life and Death of a Wasp"  Man, that sounds like it has so much potential, but no dice. Couldn't buy it.

His collab with Alicia Merz of 'birds of passage' is incredible.

I tend to like the Nadja collabs more than the solo work.  Black Boned Angel, Vampillia and Pyarmids (which is really in need of a pressing) are all great.

I remember enjoying Flipper, but I couldn't tell you why specifically.  Haven't listenened to it since the start of the year.  I'm still working my way through the catalogue too.  There's so much I've missed and I need to take Nadja breaks after every album, otherwise I'd be way burnt out on his stuff.

I have a couple of things that I'm not into that were sold very inexpensive to me, that if anyone here wants, I will do for cheap.

The one thing that is so cool a concept but I just cannot get into is "The Life and Death of a Wasp"  Man, that sounds like it has so much potential, but no dice. Couldn't buy it.

Which ones are those?

I did/do like Wasp, but really need to be into the mood for those vocals, so I haven't gotten it on vinyl, though I have been tempted a couple times.

I tend to like the Nadja collabs more than the solo work. Black Boned Angel, Vampillia and Pyarmids (which is really in need of a pressing) are all great.

I remember enjoying Flipper, but I couldn't tell you why specifically. Haven't listenened to it since the start of the year. I'm still working my way through the catalogue too. There's so much I've missed and I need to take Nadja breaks after every album, otherwise I'd be way burnt out on his stuff.

The Black Boned Angel collab, ChristSendLight, is glorious.

Which ones are those?

Nadja / 5/5/2000 Tumpisa LP /525 Black, includes CD (Accident Prone Records) - cleaned, played once NM/NM

Nadja / Troum Dominium Visurgis LP /300 Black (Denovali Records) - unplayed, sealed, I think, and M/NM as well

Are you familiar with those? Interested?

I took notes on every Nadja release and track, not too detailed, but enough to jog my memory, esp. which ones were a boom or a bust - or, on the fence. I need to look up what is still missing, like the CD/DVD set we just traded for -- I remember the the live were 3 of my favorite tracks, and they sounded incredible.

Nadja / 5/5/2000 Tumpisa LP /525 Black, includes CD (Accident Prone Records) - cleaned, played once NM/NM

Nadja / Troum Dominium Visurgis LP /300 Black (Denovali Records) - unplayed, sealed, I think, and M/NM as well

Are you familiar with those? Interested?

I took notes on every Nadja release and track, not too detailed, but enough to jog my memory, esp. which ones were a boom or a bust - or, on the fence. I need to look up what is still missing, like the CD/DVD set we just traded for -- I remember the the live were 3 of my favorite tracks, and they sounded incredible.

I'll have to give them another listen.  I don't remember them grabbing me, but then again, it has been awhile and I don't have any notes handy ;)

Did you guys ever check out Infinite Light ltd?

I'll have to give them another listen.  I don't remember them grabbing me, but then again, it has been awhile and I don't have any notes handy ;)

Did you guys ever check out Infinite Light ltd?

No rush. Usually the ones that grabbed me I went and grabbed them or made a note to do so. Thaumogenesis I found the Black for cheap, and then someone had a list at DF and I got the /100 variants and 6 or 7 others on my list for  his cost -- great dude, Ben Nichols.

I was disappointed with Infinite Light. I should listen again though to see if I was just in a foul mood.

I have not checked this out either, and very same here, amazing how different this music can sound depending on the day. Like, did I really listen to this and not like it, what happened?  Others I have tried numerous times and just have say no -- like some of the very first ones. But also some of the earlier are 'good' to me, not 'great' so forking over the $$ is not worth it.

The Bungled and the Botched is a mesmerizing drone to me, I have two vinyl copies - Ameba purchase has loud pops (was $12) bummer, so I listen to the Test Press, which is perfect. But now I hate getting up to change sides, since it breaks up the zone you get in.  So I just listen with my surround sound ear buds with the laptop vs headphones. Surreal! no drugs necessary.

No rush. Usually the ones that grabbed me I went and grabbed them or made a note to do so. Thaumogenesis I found the Black for cheap, and then someone had a list at DF and I got the /100 variants and 6 or 7 others on my list for his cost -- great dude, Ben Nichols.

I have not checked this out either, and very same here, amazing how different this music can sound depending on the day. Like, did I really listen to this and not like it, what happened? Others I have tried numerous times and just have say no -- like some of the very first ones. But also some of the earlier are 'good' to me, not 'great' so forking over the $$ is not worth it.

The Bungled and the Botched is a mesmerizing drone to me, I have two vinyl copies - Ameba purchase has loud pops (was $12) bummer, so I listen to the Test Press, which is perfect. But now I hate getting up to change sides, since it breaks up the zone you get in. So I just listen with my surround sound ear buds with the laptop vs headphones. Surreal! no drugs necessary.

Bungled and the Botched is awesome; I have a test of that too and tests of like 3 other Nadja records.

It's totally true that mood can really turn me off a release.  As well, sometimes I just don't have patience for the slow build, which I think may have been my initial issue with the Tumpisa and the Troum releases.

B&B is one of My favourites.  I have the vinyl and the cd version with the cardstock sleeve and the extra demo disc. 

I have a couple nit-picky beefs with the vinyl - first they shortened the songs for the vinyl version. Also, the cd cover is rectangular to fit the artwork.  For the vinyl, they stretched the cover art to fit the 12 x 12 cover and I just never felt like it looked as good. Perhaps I was biased from having the CD version first. Regardless, it is still amazing.

For what is worth, I think that Infinite Light release is brilliant. The music is subtle and serene with hints of unease - pretty different from much of AB's catalogue (at lease what I've heard).  For me it is a great late night listen.  I also love the artwork and think the Brown/Black version (which I have) adds to the overall presentation.

I've ordered a few things directly from Aidan through the Broken Spine store and through his discogs (adn).  Added requests for them to sign stuff and they've always been cool about it.  I also met them at a show in T.O. a couple years ago and asked them to sign a few things there too. . . had a chance to chat with them for a bit.  Both were super nice.