[PO Soon] CHVRCHES - Every Open Eye

CHVRCHES will release their new album, Every Open Eye, on September 25th. The debut single will premiere tonight on Annie Mac's BBC Radio 1 show.

3308e38.png

Track Listing
01) Never Ending Circles
02) Leave a Trace
03) Keep You on My Side
04) Make Them Gold
05) Clearest Blue
06) High Enough to Carry You Over
07) Empty Threat
08) Down Side of Me
09) Playing Dead
10) Bury It
11) Afterglow
12) Get Away
13) Follow You
14) Bow Down

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SqSi24wC_I&feature=youtu.be

I'm excited for this, but I'm going to wait until I hear the whole thing before I order it.

Excited to hear this, will be pre-ordering

I feel like every Travis post is answering a HT pressing question or responding to someone's bitching. Seeing you post like a normal user makes me happy inside haha

nope.

im out

Not to be a contrarian, but I'm genuinely curious – what's rubbing you the wrong way about the new single?  I'm wrapping up my initial listen and it sounds like a (slightly more polished) track off Bones, honestly.  Strong vocal melodies, a nice hook, and pretty memorable all around.  I don't know, I can see this album having potential.

Not to be a contrarian, but I'm genuinely curious – what's rubbing you the wrong way about the new single?  I'm wrapping up my initial listen and it sounds like a (slightly more polished) track off Bones, honestly.  Strong vocal melodies, a nice hook, and pretty memorable all around.  I don't know, I can see this album having potential.

It's not typical that I like the first single I hear. Perhaps I put too much pressure in the excitement and then over examinate and dissect. As you know, my tastes often take months if not a full year to sway. It seemed 'too generically poppy'. Nothing was defining to me from that track. Felt safe. It got thrown into the muddied memory of things sounding similar. Maybe more tracks can wipe that perception clean.

My issue with the new stuff is that they sound like remixes of perfectly good chvrches songs. 

I agree with Get Away, it's definitely a little overdone... but I don't really see it with Leave A Trace.  We'll have to wait and see how the rest sounds, I guess.  I'd expect them to be going for a "bigger" sound and am totally fine with it. I don't want the same album twice... But I also don't want it to go over the top like Get Away kinda does.

Hmmmm..... BTW for listeners at the link posted on the first page, it's (broken?) and just loops like 1 minute of the same thing. So don't judge from that.

I'm not usually a fan of something on the first listen either. I've gotten better at listening to a record 2-3 times before I disapprove. I'm going to say I like this one. I really like "The Bones of What You Believe" but my gripe with it is that the songs don't vary in structure enough for me. Lots of hooks and choruses on that album. Mother we share is like 76% (est.) chorus. So with these first two tracks, I'd have to say that I like them just because they seem to have longer verses that may allow Lauren to change things up a bit (she already did) and vary tones and what-nots to create a better all around atmosphere for the album. 

We'll see. That's my very non-musical review.....