Maui, HI

Yo guys. Haven't been on the boards/buying vinyl for a bit.

My wife and I are heading to Maui from Aug 2-10. Looking for any must do's while we're there.

We eat mainly vegetarian (iI eat fish, so I'm stoked), so any recommendations on places to eat would be awesome as well.

Thanks!

Yo guys. Haven't been on the boards/buying vinyl for a bit.

My wife and I are heading to Maui from Aug 2-10. Looking for any must do's while we're there.

We eat mainly vegetarian (iI eat fish, so I'm stoked), so any recommendations on places to eat would be awesome as well.

Thanks!

Wife and I went last year and we mostly just beach bummed it and drank Mai tais. My main goal was to see a sea turtle and I did!

If you want fins/mask/snorkel just buy them. It's cheaper than renting them. Buy at a Safeway or something though.

Wife and I went last year and we mostly just beach bummed it and drank Mai tais. My main goal was to see a sea turtle and I did!

If you want fins/mask/snorkel just buy them. It's cheaper than renting them. Buy at a Safeway or something though.

Thanks for the tip. noted!!

go check out a volcano.

edit: i also think that seeing a sea turtle would be awesome.

We're actually hoping to trek up the volcano for the sunrise.

get laid!

Well d'uh!

My friend lives here. Hes a jerk because of it. I was in maui like 15 years ago and cant offer much on what to do. Seeing a sea turtle is a must or the trip is ruined.

Thats all i got.

We're going to head to the turtle beach for a day. Can't wait!

Where are you staying? 

Go for breakfast at The Gazebo.

We're staying at a few different places. Lahaina for 3 night, Kula for 2 nights and Hana for 2. We're also staying near the airport the first night since the flight arrives so late. I'll check out the Gazebo fo sho!

TURTLES !!!!!! :wub:

Awwwwwwwwwwwww yeah

Have fun man! That's an awesome trip.

Thanks Hunter! Hope all is well, brother!

Even though I've seen this before, it still made me spit tea onto my desk, so thanks for that.

Aside from the obvious (Beach, Volcano/Iao State Park)

1. Go eat at Da' Kitchen (they have a Garden Burger and some fish you could Nosh on.)

2. Go eat at Star Noodle.

3. Go to Lahaina to learn about the crazy whaling industry they had.

4. Drive the Hana Highway (make this a full day event and bring your bathing suit and water shoes!)

5. Contact me about my favorite part about Maui. There's a story.

Maui is amazing. Seriously.

Also some suggestions here: http://boards.vinylcollective.com/topic/69583-anyone-ever-been-to-hawaii/

this comment is adorable haha. i'm glad you got to see a sea turtle :D

It was actually a crazy story. We want to this beach where there were supposed to be some and I swam out looking. Saw one sitting on the bottom of the ocean just hanging out, being kind of small and boring. I was still amped about it.

Swam back to hang with my wife where we could stand up (she's not a super strong swimmer and worries about getting whooshed out to sea)

And we're just hanging out in the water when I bump into this dude.

I turn around to apologize...and it's actually this BADASS, probably 150ish lb sea turtle. Huuuuge guy, just swimming around being rad. I almost shit myself with excitement over it. I pretty much sat on him by accident :)

I took underwater video of it!

It was actually a crazy story. We want to this beach where there were supposed to be some and I swam out looking. Saw one sitting on the bottom of the ocean just hanging out, being kind of small and boring. I was still amped about it.

Swam back to hang with my wife where we could stand up (she's not a super strong swimmer and worries about getting whooshed out to sea)

And we're just hanging out in the water when I bump into this dude.

I turn around to apologize...and it's actually this BADASS, probably 150ish lb sea turtle. Huuuuge guy, just swimming around being rad. I almost shit myself with excitement over it. I pretty much sat on him by accident :)

I took underwater video of it!

that is amazing! omg thats so cool that it was swimming so close to you

Bring gloves and a jacket for the sunrise on Mt Haleakala. It is freaking cold up there. We did that the first morning we were there. The night we arrived We crashed at 7pm their time after a full day of travel and wewe up at 3am to hit the sunrise. Most beautiful damn thing. There's an awesome breakfast place on the way back down from the mountain, but I can't remember the name.

Definitely do the road to Hana. We also did a really cool zip line thing. And a horseback ride in the mountains. Skip the snorkeling at the crater. We didn't do it, but everyone we talked to said it was the worst. There were far more sea turtles at the beach. Eels too.

Where are you staying?

I figured out the breakfast place. It's the Kuala Lodge. You will probably never have a better view while eating. http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g60633-d496423-r159260390-Kula_Lodge-Kula_Maui_Hawaii.html. It was so good we went twice. 

I'd also recommend this magic/dinner show. http://www.warrenandannabelles.com/. Their website sucks, but this was an awesome experience. And there's really nothing else to do in Maui at night. 

I'd also advise against a luau unless you want to waste $200 on watered-down drinks. That's the only thing we did that we regretted. 

Bring gloves and a jacket for the sunrise on Mt Haleakala. It is freaking cold up there. We did that the first morning we were there. The night we arrived We crashed at 7pm their time after a full day of travel and wewe up at 3am to hit the sunrise. Most beautiful damn thing. There's an awesome breakfast place on the way back down from the mountain, but I can't remember the name.

Definitely do the road to Hana. We also did a really cool zip line thing. And a horseback ride in the mountains. Skip the snorkeling at the crater. We didn't do it, but everyone we talked to said it was the worst. There were far more sea turtles at the beach. Eels too.

Where are you staying?

We're staying in Lahaina, Kula and Hana. We're also staying near the airport for a night since our flight gets in so late.

We were thinking about a luau but what you said seals the deal. It would work out to over $250 Canadian for the 2 of us. She's vegetarian and I only eat fish, and my wife doesn't even drink. We'll take that money and do a bunch of other stuff.

We're staying in Lahaina, Kula and Hana. We're also staying near the airport for a night since our flight gets in so late.

We were thinking about a luau but what you said seals the deal. It would work out to over $250 Canadian for the 2 of us. She's vegetarian and I only eat fish, and my wife doesn't even drink. We'll take that money and do a bunch of other stuff.

Good call on the luau. I'll admit the fire dancer was cool, but that isn't worth $250. My favorite part was when they pulled the roasted pig out, carried it on their shoulders into the kitchen area, and came back literally a minute later with a huge tub of shredded pig meat. Makes me wonder if they actually even roast the pig outside or if they just use the same dummy pig every time.

My favorite part was when they pulled the roasted pig out, carried it on their shoulders into the kitchen area, and came back literally a minute later with a huge tub of shredded pig meat. Makes me wonder if they actually even roast the pig outside or if they just use the same dummy pig every time.

We eat mainly vegetarian

i spring breaked with my future husband and then honeymooned with him there.  we did do the luau but i eat meat and appreciated the hula/fire dancers.  (c. 2003-2004), didn't care for the drinks, too much sugar so they made me barfy, outside of that, got laid a lot, ate cheeseburger in paradise (chili cheese fries) and smokehouse bbq (pork ribs + 2 scoops rice, beans, hawaiian style) so from the thread, i gather the meat factor doesn't apply to you.  get some macadamia pancakes by the banyan tree in lahaina (forget exactly where that is but it's right by the old courthouse) also went to maui aquarium (not a bad excursion), snorkeled (saw a puffer fish, but my snorkeling skills aren't great so i got more out of going to the less populated beach on the big island 10 yrs later and swimming with a turtle in the sea there, it was legit spiritual, i recommend it if you can actually swim with one, no lie).  also spent a night in backcountry paia, but the lodging was eco-friendly (read: does not spray for tropical bugs so the roaches at night kept me up, but the local creperie was nice).  saw a sugar cane mill there.  went on the road to hana, and spent a night in kihei, by the airport because we, too, flew in late (where my future hubs tried to talk me into doing it on the deserted beach at night and i wish i had given into because it's not the same here in CA, lol).  DO IT.

to make this somewhat VC relevant, i bought J.E.W.'s futures on CD at the borders there on my honeymoon (because there was no record shops i knew of in 2004) the day it came out.

oooh, additionally, we took a boat out to lanai on our honeymoon.  shuttled from the big resort to a beach and since it was october, we were the only ones there.  such a great memory.  not sure if you can do that anymore, but i'd look into it.

My favorite part was when they pulled the roasted pig out, carried it on their shoulders into the kitchen area, and came back literally a minute later with a huge tub of shredded pig meat. Makes me wonder if they actually even roast the pig outside or if they just use the same dummy pig every time.

We eat mainly vegetarian

I was just sharing a story that emphasizes how lame the luau was. I know he doesn't eat meat.