Deja Sleeve (Deja Entendu Slipcase) - Available NOW!

I like the idea but I feel like if brand new did this there would be so much bitching.

Yeah, if the band sold the slipcase separately from the record it'd be kinda shitty.

A fan replicating the old CD packaging for the new vinyl pressing is kinda cool. Plus it's not like you can copyright a black sleeve with a hole cut in it.

The other thread was a mixture of ignorance meets indignance. Many seemed to believe that the ethics of replicating & selling artwork weren't what the law says and what original artist expressed, that the ethics were whatever the person making money off it and the people who wanted to buy it wanted them to be. I remember there being a weird Guy Fox liberty element to it, like by selling homemade LP sleeves with someone else's art that they were fighting against an oppressive regime represented by other posters who referenced the law and artist's comments.

It was all fun and games until Whalen got involved. He said not to do it so we didn't but people still kept ranting about it being wrong. They took something that was suppose to be fun and cool (and really fucking time consuming) and made it shitty. If brand new says to not do it then don't. Until then, live it up.

It was all fun and games until Whalen got involved. He said not to do it so we didn't but people still kept ranting about it being wrong. They took something that was suppose to be fun and cool (and really fucking time consuming) and made it shitty. If brand new says to not do it then don't. Until then, live it up.

Unfortunately, calling something "fun and cool" doesn't absolve it from any critique of its legality.  When you say "they", you are referring to people who were referencing what the law and the original artist had to say about it.  It definitely is a bummer, especially if you wanted to buy a custom sleeve or sell a custom sleeve, but "they" were right: it's illegal and the original artist was not happy about it.  It seems reasonable to think that people would point that out, especially on an art-related forum where there are communities that make a living from art and who enjoy spending their money to support artists.

It was within your right to say "Go kick rocks, I don't care" but the idea that a great, fun, cool idea was killed because of other posters is a bit much.  Your fun, cool, great idea was killed before it started because it required using someone else's artwork and breaking some ethical boundaries to get it accomplished.  At best, it was a great, fun, cool idea that was entirely unconcerned with legality or ethics.

The other thread was a mixture of ignorance meets indignance. Many seemed to believe that the ethics of replicating & selling artwork weren't what the law says and what original artist expressed, that the ethics were whatever the person making money off it and the people who wanted to buy it wanted them to be. I remember there being a weird Guy Fox liberty element to it, like by selling homemade LP sleeves with someone else's art that they were fighting against an oppressive regime represented by other posters who referenced the law and artist's comments.

Oh, Bake. You and your silly jokes.

Exactly this. Now we all agree, yay!

Ha. Yeah that's what I was thinking.

Bake, I respect you and totally agree with everything you said but when it came down to it I really didn't care about the legality of it. The reason I didn't do it was because the artist said it wasn't cool. It just seemed more personal than using band logos and images for something that was related to those bands. Whalens art was never intended to be in any way related to the music of Disney so it did feel more wrong. I know I'm just making excuses for it but it was really fun to have custom sleeves. Isn't all the really fun stuff illegal anyway?

Unfortunately, calling something "fun and cool" doesn't absolve it from any critique of its legality.  When you say "they", you are referring to people who were referencing what the law and the original artist had to say about it.  It definitely is a bummer, especially if you wanted to buy a custom sleeve or sell a custom sleeve, but "they" were right: it's illegal and the original artist was not happy about it.  It seems reasonable to think that people would point that out, especially on an art-related forum where there are communities that make a living from art and who enjoy spending their money to support artists.

It was within your right to say "Go kick rocks, I don't care" but the idea that a great, fun, cool idea was killed because of other posters is a bit much.  Your fun, cool, great idea was killed before it started because it required using someone else's artwork and breaking some ethical boundaries to get it accomplished.  At best, it was a great, fun, cool idea that was entirely unconcerned with legality or ethics.

bake, what are you doing man? you're supposed to be here to make me laugh, not to make me think logically. Now post something funny damnit! haha