Have an appreciation for unique packaging? Check our new LP out!

Hey, shout-out to fellow bostonian musicians.

The packaging is brilliant - really nicely done, how'd you convince a plant to let you pull that one off?

But I have to admit, I'm pretty turned off by you guys touting yourself as "straight-edge" right underneath the band logo. Seems like that should hardly be an important enough attribute to be your group's entire identity. I don't eat raw vegetables or own any goldfish, but I tend to define myself (and my band) by the things we actually do, not the things we don't.

End rant, carry on

The packaging is brilliant - really nicely done, how'd you convince a plant to let you pull that one off?

But I have to admit, I'm pretty turned off by you guys touting yourself as "straight-edge" right underneath the band logo. Seems like that should hardly be an important enough attribute to be your group's entire identity. I don't eat raw vegetables or own any goldfish, but I tend to define myself (and my band) by the things we actually do, not the things we don't.

End rant, carry on

As a complete and total non-straight edge person who smokes, drinks, and eats the garbage that corporate America crams down my throat, I (respectfully) disagree. They should identify with their lifestyle choices. Sure they don't do things as a part of that lifestyle, but what they also do is embrace a lifestyle that isn't easy and they take care of their bodies. That's highly respectable in my opinion. Again, this is me respectfully disagreeing, not picking a fight. I just see the other side. Also "Coffee, god, and cigarettes are all that I need..."

As a complete and total non-straight edge person who smokes, drinks, and eats the garbage that corporate America crams down my throat, I (respectfully) disagree. They should identify with their lifestyle choices. Sure they don't do things as a part of that lifestyle, but what they also do is embrace a lifestyle that isn't easy and they take care of their bodies. That's highly respectable in my opinion. Again, this is me respectfully disagreeing, not picking a fight. I just see the other side. Also "Coffee, god, and cigarettes are all that I need..."

Totally respect your opinion - I fully support musicians embracing their lifestyle choices, but straight-edge is simply choosing to refrain from something. It's kind of like, if the most interesting thing about your music is the fact that the people who make it choose not to drink and do drugs, it's pretty unlikely that you're making inspired music. It's like the old "how do you find a vegan at a party" joke.

I think it should just be an attribute of you as an individual rather than a label you slap onto yourself to feel like part of some kind of elitist subculture. Like, can you see a band like My Bloody Valentine or something writing "straight-edge shoegaze" underneath the cover of Loveless? It's just like... why are you putting that there?

Totally respect your opinion - I fully support musicians embracing their lifestyle choices, but straight-edge is simply choosing to refrain from something. It's kind of like, if the most interesting thing about your music is the fact that the people who make it choose not to drink and do drugs, it's pretty unlikely that you're making inspired music. It's like the old "how do you find a vegan at a party" joke.

I think it should just be an attribute of you as an individual rather than a label you slap onto yourself to feel like part of some kind of elitist subculture. Like, can you see a band like My Bloody Valentine or something writing "straight-edge shoegaze" underneath the cover of Loveless? It's just like... why are you putting that there?

I get what you mean. I think I just have some undying respect for straight edgers because I could never be one. Anyway...RESPECT!

Straight edge hardcore is the best, and I'm the furthest thing from straight edge.

i wonder which of us is further...you ever sucked dick for crack?

Hate to continue to throw this thread off-topic, but it really bothers me knowing that people think this is what straight edge is or why people do it. Can't guarantee my opinion is unbiased, because I am straight edge, but what you said is borderline insulting. The lifestyle decision I made was for me and no one else. I didn't do it to make myself look good or shove it in anyone's face. In fact, all of my friends drink and/or do drugs. My BEST FRIEND sells weed. It seriously has nothing to do with anyone else.

If you had a bad experience with someone who said they were straight edge, get over it and please stop generalizing people.

Also, there is a difference between a straight edge hardcore band and a hardcore band with straight edge members.

The only thing I don't like about part of the straight edge scene is how some believe everyone else should be straight edge. Similar to some religious zealots. Live and let live.

Anyway, music sounds good, so I bought the record. What are the pressing numbers for the red and the smoke?

But I have to admit, I'm pretty turned off by you guys touting yourself as "straight-edge" right underneath the band logo. Seems like that should hardly be an important enough attribute to be your group's entire identity. I don't eat raw vegetables or own any goldfish, but I tend to define myself (and my band) by the things we actually do, not the things we don't.

End rant, carry on

For some reason I find it extremely odd that someone from Boston of all places would be turned off by the incorporation of "straight edge" in how a band chooses to represent themselves. I love the Carry On after the end rant, too. The hardest kids still put an X by their name!

I normally don't chime in on stuff like this but Spirits are the best edge band going at the moment. When straight edge hardcore is done right there's nothing better and nobody is doing it better than these dudes.

Damn this is great packaging and some great sounding tunes!

$15 shipping to Canada though?

Sadly yeah... Shipped our first package to Canada last week and I had it listed as $10 but it ended up costing $13.45.  Factor in paypal taking their chunk, the mailer, tape, etc and $15 covers everything.  I hate how much it is... it's literally twice as much as the actual LP costs to ship it anywhere overseas and that's just an LP by itself. 

You recorded with Sean Cahalin? No shit. We just did a record with him. He's in a couple of bands with a college buddy of mine. Small world.

Yeah he was the assistant engineer attached to our 1 day at Q-Division.  Great dude, awesome engineer, and all around fun person to hang out with in the studio!

Anyway, music sounds good, so I bought the record. What are the pressing numbers for the red and the smoke?

I believe it is /300 for the red and /250 for the black!

And last but not least, a few brief words to chime in on this little discussion some people are having (by the way... I'm pretty glad to see that everyone who has chimed in are acting totally cool and actually discussing this as opposed to just trolling one another on the internet and acting like dicks!).

Simply stated, we are a straight edge hardcore band.  As has been mentioned, it is a pretty long running sub-sect of the hardcore scene and it in no way, shape, or form indicates that we feel we are better than anyone or that we want to belong to some popular, elitist subculture. 

@mellowtooth - You said this:  "I tend to define myself (and my band) by the things we actually do, not the things we don't." and I get where you're coming from... but I'd implore you to switch your thinking on this in the following way.  The viewpoint from which you're choosing to analyze 'straight edge' is coming from a negative spot.  I am straight edge because I do choose to live a clean life, I do abstain from drinking and drugs, and I do try to have a positive impact on this world... note the "do" before each of those three things.  They are all things I and my band mates do which, by your statement, is something we should have no problem defining our band by.  From looking at it where you're standing and implying negative connotations and focusing on the things we "don't" do, you're completely missing where I'm coming from.  (This is basically what user Fowty Dollaz pointed out already) I can totally understand why it's an easy thing to see it that way, because so much of the subculture IS that way.  All of my best friends (other than the people in this band and a handful of other close friends around the country) all drink and choose to do whatever they want with their lives.  That's their prerogative, not mine.  Whatever floats your boat then go with that.  I realize that being straight edge isn't for everyone and that's fine with me, but as it stands, it is an important aspect of my life and for the members of this band.  Hopefully that makes sense?  And last but not least to kind of return the question full circle, does it turn you off when bands tout themselves (and sing song after song about) as a full fledged, lets get hammered and never stop drinking kind of band?  What about the numerous bands in the punk scene that fall into that category and specifically brand themselves, their merch, and their band image as being 100% in support of drinking alcohol or something similar (this is pretty prevalent in Boston, I believe)?  Again, I'm not intending for this to come across as being some middle finger snarky retort but to continue the discussion.

Thanks for everyone checking out the record and giving it a listen, we really appreciate it!  Y'all rule and keep supporting music like you already do!  <3

definitely putting this in my to pick up list.  probably the other 7"ers too.

also is the name supposed to be ironic being a straight edge band?  first thing i thought was alcohol...haha.

It's not meant to be ironic but can definitely come across as that way for obvious reasons, hah. Charles wanted a band name where he could at some point simply have a piece of merch that ripped off the "Shortys" logo and "Spirits" fits that.  We all really liked the name so went with it!