Have an appreciation for unique packaging? Check our new LP out!

It's not meant to be ironic but can definitely come across as that way for obvious reasons, hah. Charles wanted a band name where he could at some point simply have a piece of merch that ripped off the "Shortys" logo and "Spirits" fits that. We all really liked the name so went with it!

Like you guys 100 times more because of that. Still rocking Shorty's hardware to this day.

Dude has no idea about the sub culture. Oh well.

Maybe I don't - but this attitude is exactly why it has such a bad rep. It's that exclusive, "better-than-you" attitude that turns people like me off to it as a subculture. Seems pretentious. If you were willing to explain what attracts you to it in a positive light rather than being dismissive and vague, maybe there wouldn't be such a negative perception.

For some reason I find it extremely odd that someone from Boston of all places would be turned off by the incorporation of "straight edge" in how a band chooses to represent themselves. I love the Carry On after the end rant, too. The hardest kids still put an X by their name!

Actually, I think me being a Bostonian is what makes me more sensitive to the label being thrown around. I've seen it associated with so many bands I consider to be uninspired and lifeless - and I've met countless (we're talking hundreds) of elitist douchebags touting around the label like makes everywhere who ever touched a cigarette to their lips the scum of the earth. I know they aren't all like that, but I have more experience (mostly negative) with the label than most, so it's definitely stained my perception of it.

And last but not least, a few brief words to chime in on this little discussion some people are having (by the way... I'm pretty glad to see that everyone who has chimed in are acting totally cool and actually discussing this as opposed to just trolling one another on the internet and acting like dicks!).

Simply stated, we are a straight edge hardcore band.  As has been mentioned, it is a pretty long running sub-sect of the hardcore scene and it in no way, shape, or form indicates that we feel we are better than anyone or that we want to belong to some popular, elitist subculture. 

@mellowtooth - You said this:  "I tend to define myself (and my band) by the things we actually do, not the things we don't." and I get where you're coming from... but I'd implore you to switch your thinking on this in the following way.  The viewpoint from which you're choosing to analyze 'straight edge' is coming from a negative spot.  I am straight edge because I do choose to live a clean life, I do abstain from drinking and drugs, and I do try to have a positive impact on this world... note the "do" before each of those three things.  They are all things I and my band mates do which, by your statement, is something we should have no problem defining our band by.  From looking at it where you're standing and implying negative connotations and focusing on the things we "don't" do, you're completely missing where I'm coming from.  (This is basically what user Fowty Dollaz pointed out already) I can totally understand why it's an easy thing to see it that way, because so much of the subculture IS that way.  All of my best friends (other than the people in this band and a handful of other close friends around the country) all drink and choose to do whatever they want with their lives.  That's their prerogative, not mine.  Whatever floats your boat then go with that.  I realize that being straight edge isn't for everyone and that's fine with me, but as it stands, it is an important aspect of my life and for the members of this band.  Hopefully that makes sense?  And last but not least to kind of return the question full circle, does it turn you off when bands tout themselves (and sing song after song about) as a full fledged, lets get hammered and never stop drinking kind of band?  What about the numerous bands in the punk scene that fall into that category and specifically brand themselves, their merch, and their band image as being 100% in support of drinking alcohol or something similar (this is pretty prevalent in Boston, I believe)?  Again, I'm not intending for this to come across as being some middle finger snarky retort but to continue the discussion.

Thanks for everyone checking out the record and giving it a listen, we really appreciate it!  Y'all rule and keep supporting music like you already do!  <3

I really appreciate your perspective man and I'm sorry for derailing this thread a bit - I really didn't think it would spur this much of a reaction from everyone - but I do agree that it's awesome to see such positive discussion rather than flaming and stick / stone throwing. 

I think your positive perception of the lifestyle choice is great, and I wish it's something that more of your peers valued as strongly as you do. However, I think a big part of my point was that your lifestyle choices really has nothing to do with the music itself - it doesn't seem like someone with a tremendous amount of artistic integrity would want to primarily associate their band with their lifestyle OUTSIDE of the music. I completely agree that I hate seeing bands who tout themselves as "druggie" bands or "party" bands who promote lavish lifestyles, but that's more because I think the music should speak for itself. That was the point of my My Bloody Valentine comparison - on the other side, imagine if Radiohead spouted on about being this "drug-experience" band who loved tripping all the time. It just cheapens the music, in a way. Sort of endorses that fetishized, celebrity-worshiping attitude that, to me, couldn't be further removed from the actual art itself. It really shouldn't matter if you drink or if you don't when it comes to advertising your band - the music should be the music.

Thanks for the discussion dudes.

I really wanted to stay aside this discussion but I need to write one thing. I know some straight edge guys (including myself) and I've never heard anyone SxE saying that he/she is better than anyone else cause of the SxE being fact. We do it for ourselfs. I always say you are straight edge for yourself only. Being vege/vegan it's something you do for others (not people but still). The whole "holier-than-thou" of SxE is a myth which usually sits deep in non-SxE heads.

Just got mine. Thanks for the stickers, poster, and extra 7".

My copy ended up being a transulcent pink, which is pretty rad looking. And the skittles variant of the split is fucking beautiful.

If anyone has been sleeping on this, wake the fuck up. Such a good STRAIGHT EDGE hardcore band.

Very happy with this record. The crazy packaging is artistically cool and the music is just plain good. So far, my fav song is "Paid for Hate". Fans of hardcore are going to regret not picking this up. How often do you find a record with colored vinyl and deluxe packaging for only $12!

Damn... Really impressed by this.

Would love to get the red version, but it's almost double the cost of the LP just for shipping to the UK :'(

Keep up the good work! :)

Yeah it really sucks how expensive it is to ship a single record from the states anywhere across the ocean.  It might be slighly cheaper for you to snag it from a Euro Distro... I found these:

http://www.useless-distribution.com/en/lp/3322-spirits-discontent-lp.html?search_query=spirits&results=1

http://webshop.realityrecords.be/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=spirits&osCsid=d3f680bc849aef13584601275aec4781&x=0&y=0

Useless has the actual version with the full artwork and Reality has a few copies of the tour LP with no artwork/3d glasses etc...

Hope that helps!

We're trying to get it into some more distros so it's easier to get overseas.  Thanks for checking out the LP!

Yeah it really sucks how expensive it is to ship a single record from the states anywhere across the ocean.  It might be slighly cheaper for you to snag it from a Euro Distro... I found these:

http://www.useless-distribution.com/en/lp/3322-spirits-discontent-lp.html?search_query=spirits&results=1

http://webshop.realityrecords.be/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=spirits&osCsid=d3f680bc849aef13584601275aec4781&x=0&y=0

Useless has the actual version with the full artwork and Reality has a few copies of the tour LP with no artwork/3d glasses etc...

Hope that helps!

We're trying to get it into some more distros so it's easier to get overseas.  Thanks for checking out the LP!

Thanks for the info. I managed to get around the shipping issue - have a friend over in the US who is coming to London in a month, so I'm getting it sent to them. Order placed! :D

Thanks for the info. I managed to get around the shipping issue - have a friend over in the US who is coming to London in a month, so I'm getting it sent to them. Order placed! :D

My friend received the records today... Absolutely f-in awesome packaging and extras (just saw everything via Skype)... Thanks so much my friend :)

I'm actually going to be over in the US later in the year and I think you guys might be in the area I'm visiting, so I'll do my best to come and see you!

My friend received the records today... Absolutely f-in awesome packaging and extras (just saw everything via Skype)... Thanks so much my friend :)

I'm actually going to be over in the US later in the year and I think you guys might be in the area I'm visiting, so I'll do my best to come and see you!

Oh that's awesome!  Where are you going to be visiting?  Glad the records got there safely and hopefully he delivers them to you soon so you can start spinning the record! 

Oh that's awesome!  Where are you going to be visiting?  Glad the records got there safely and hopefully he delivers them to you soon so you can start spinning the record! 

I'll be travelling around NY / NJ / PA for 6 weeks starting mid-september. Should have the records delivered (safely!) by the end of this month. Looking forwards to it!