OK, so I received my new turntable and preamp and hooked it all up...

and it sounds really good. However one thing that kind of surprised me is that the audio doesn't...I dont' know... "project" as much as it does when I listen to a CD or a digital file on the same set up. Don't get me wrong, it sounds great.  I just noticed that I have to increase the volume more to get it on par with what I normally listen to CD's or digital files at lower volume levels.  Is this just a symptom of listening to music that has been mixed too loudly for so long and I just have to get used to it? 

No, it's a result of there being way less uniformity when it comes to voltage output of the parts in the analog chain. Cartridges vary greatly in terms of how much "volume" you get out of them, and different phono pre-amps use very different levels of gain, meaning that you can end up with a combination that is as loud as a digital source or another that is only half as loud.

No, it's a result of there being way less uniformity when it comes to voltage output of the parts in the analog chain. Cartridges vary greatly in terms of how much "volume" you get out of them, and different phono pre-amps use very different levels of gain, meaning that you can end up with a combination that is as loud as a digital source or another that is only half as loud.

Well i'm using an Ortofon Red 2M cartridge with a Cambridge 651p pre-amp.  Do those not pair up well with each other?

Do you really need a new topic every time you have a new question to ask? Christ, just bump one of your other 30 with your question. 

Do you really have to be such a pompous ass about it?  Jesus, this place is unreal.  I feel like I've stumbled into some exclusive country club where I don't belong and no one is interested in helping a newbie out other than trying make them feel like shit.  Sorry I encroached upon and disturbed your little forum utopia here.  I'll gladly find another online community to "irritate."

I don't think you understand what pompous means, at all. 

Really?

pomp·ous
ˈpämpəs/  
adjective
adjective: pompous
  1. affectedly and irritatingly grand, solemn, or self-important.
    "a pompous ass who pretends he knows everything"
    synonyms: self-important, imperious, overbearing, domineering, magisterial, pontifical, sententious, grandiose, affected, pretentious, puffed up, arrogant, vain, haughty, proud, conceited, egotistic, supercilious, condescending, patronizing; More

Condescending, sure. There's nothing arrogant or conceited about pointing out that you feel the need to create a new topic for every single question you have related to what amounts to your very first set up and could have 100% been localized to one topic that already exists (beginner's guide to hi-fi), or even just the first topic you created about picking a table. 

Condescending, sure. There's nothing arrogant or conceited about pointing out that you feel the need to create a new topic for every single question you have related to what amounts to your very first set up and could have 100% been localized to one topic that already exists (beginner's guide to hi-fi), or even just the first topic you created about picking a table.

No one forced you to click into the thread did they?  If it irritates you , why take the the time to click, read, and respond?   And yes it is arrogant to treat someone like you are.   Do you treat people like that when you're not protected by the anonymity of the internet?  If so I imagine your medical bills must be piling up.

OP, you're not going to gain any friends by responding to help in a hostile manner like you have here. In fact, you're the one who seems pompous. You're new. You don't know how things work best around here. Say "sorry, thanks" and move on. It's called being polite.

OP, you're not going to gain any friends by responding to help in a hostile manner like you have here. In fact, you're the one who seems pompous. You're new. You don't know how things work best around here. Say "sorry, thanks" and move on. It's called being polite.

The fact that you're defending xxsilence perfectly proves my point with the overall attitude with this place.  OK, granted I COULD have said "sorry, thanks"  but by that same token, veterans of this place could be a little friendlier and more accomodating to newbies.   Since I've joined I have encountered one snot-nosed response after another, and all because I'm just trying to learn and get some questions asked.  Yes I could refer to the bloated thread for beginners but that is pie in the sky expectation if you think anybody wants to swim through that many pages to try and find the answer to one question.  

Anyway, it's not worth arguing over any longer.  Like I said,  it's obvious that I don't fit in here. I'll gladly find a different forum.

There's some great advice on this forum, and some really knowledgeable people who are willing to help out and give their own free time (and lots of it) in order to answer questions, which is priceless to newbies (yep, talking about myself here). But BenderofStrings has a point. It does feel like an inbred country club for the audio elite at times. So in that respect I have to back him up. The way to go is probably just to try and ignore it. Works for me.

Great tip for newbies...the first (and second and third and fourth and fifth) time someone responds to you like an asshole, have a sense of humor or ignore them. Eventually, the a-hole temptation goes away and the same people who jumped down your throat will start being fine, upstanding members to you and you can make a decent life for yourself here.

The fact that you're defending xxsilence perfectly proves my point with the overall attitude with this place.  OK, granted I COULD have said "sorry, thanks"  but by that same token, veterans of this place could be a little friendlier and more accomodating to newbies.   Since I've joined I have encountered one snot-nosed response after another, and all because I'm just trying to learn and get some questions asked.  Yes I could refer to the bloated thread for beginners but that is pie in the sky expectation if you think anybody wants to swim through that many pages to try and find the answer to one question.  

Anyway, it's not worth arguing over any longer.  Like I said,  it's obvious that I don't fit in here. I'll gladly find a different forum.

"snot-nosed response" hahaha... welcome to VC... i got alot of those too when i first started... still do every once in a while... but dude... stay... there are some awesome people here

Great tip for newbies...the first (and second and third and fourth and fifth) time someone responds to you like an asshole, have a sense of humor or ignore them. Eventually, the a-hole temptation goes away and the same people who jumped down your throat will start being fine, upstanding members to you and you can make a decent life for yourself here.

I've seen this happen before.