A discussion about record flippers

If you are an individual, in your late 20s or early 30s, then you are a flipper.

If you are older than 40 and pay rent for a retail rathole in some sad town in the middle of nowhere, then you are a record store owner.

Holy shit you guys! I own a record store!  

N3UPIIT.gif

All of you are right, but all of you are also wrong. Consider my experience a few months ago, seemingly right out of the pages of an Ian Flemming novel. 

So I was in Urban Outfitters casually browsing the LP section, meandering through the day without cause. When I spot 3 copies of Panda Bear's Person Pitch, still in the shrink. I had bought my copy two years before for $12 dollars. These copies were going for $13 each. Note that during this time (few weeks back) Person pitch had become a reclusive gem; some where to be found at concerts and maybe their online site, but individuals selling them through discogs and amazon had them priced at $35-$50 dollars. So, no sooner than I blink, I snatch three copies for a total of less than $45. 

Here is where the rub lies, and the discussion begins. Because although it may seem like a moral debate, its simply a behavioral concept that has fashioned itself from every discussion alluding to a seller and a greater fool. 

I put each of them up for $100 each on amazon. All three sold within a month, God knows why. The moral of the story is, fuck em. 

BTW, I bought a copy of Mondo's The Last of Us for the board, will sell at cost. Just pay shipping for a total of $350ppd.

With every single "collectable" there is a secondary market where "flippers" will try and take advantage of less knowledgeable people for profit. I used to play magic the gathering and there were people at competitive events called 'sharks' they were at every event trying to make money by advantageously trading all day to make small margins every trade that would add up over time. the same goes for flippers, sometimes they will make 50-100 dollars but really they make like 5-10 dollars and if someone really wants that 5-10 bucks so badly let them have it.