A discussion about record flippers

This thread gained 100+ comments in less than 24h. People care.

It is a discussion board about vinyl and this is a scintillating yet often "skirted" topic.

And it was more a rhetorical "who cares about what someone decides to do with THEIR record?" with undertones of nobody should give a fuck (except whiny babies, of course).

I can honestly say I've never flipped anything, but likewise I've never bought anything from a flipper. BUT, I do think that ultimately if you've bought something a number of years/decades ago that has increased in value, and you decide to part ways with it for a profit, that's your choice. This is just part of life, would you buy a house and then sell it 10 years later for the same price you paid??

I think it would be wrong to say "all flippers are scum of the earth", because they're not. The ones that are are those that buy purely to sell on. They buy up limited runs and stick them on ebay minutes later. Those are the ones I have a problem with because they're taking products away from those that could genuinely buy them.

Have a lot of respect for those that buy to help others.

I always love these threads turn into "these type of flippers suck" but "these people who sell stuff for lots of money are ok," aka the what I do is ok but what others do that prevent me from getting something I want is shitty.

I think the people who buy records they think are going to be valuable and keep them sealed nicely sitting on a shelf are just as bad as the person who buys it and puts it right up in ebay. Really what is the point of keeping a record sealed other to maintain value to sell later or to keep as a trophy. At least with a short term flipper someone might buy it to actually listen to it and enjoy it.

I have paid off my mortgage by flipping Brand New records.

i think the best comparison to record flippers are people who scalp tickets (concerts, events, sports games, etc...)

I'm selling two tickets to the Brand New show at Ommegang on 8/16. Trying to pay that mortgage. :D

(except I'm selling them for less than I paid) *wrecklessadvertisement*

I always love these threads turn into "these type of flippers suck" but "these people who sell stuff for lots of money are ok," aka the what I do is ok but what others do that prevent me from getting something I want is shitty.

I think the people who buy records they think are going to be valuable and keep them sealed nicely sitting on a shelf are just as bad as the person who buys it and puts it right up in ebay. Really what is the point of keeping a record sealed other to maintain value to sell later or to keep as a trophy. At least with a short term flipper someone might buy it to actually listen to it and enjoy it.

I think you misunderstood. It was stated that buying a record for listening purposes then selling it down the line is OK. Not buying and keeping sealed ... that's still buying with intent to flip bc of value.

I think you misundestood. It was stated that buying a record for listening purposes then selling it down the line is OK. Not buying and keeping sealed ... that's still buying with intent to flip bc of value.

Ooh, ooh, I got it. What about record collectors who just collect records for art pieces/to have a physical representation of their music taste?

Just because they don't spin their records, do you think you are more justified as a music lover? If they hold onto it and find happiness looking at a sealed record, and that record appreciates in value, is it truly any different than what other people do?

Ooh, ooh, I got it. What about record collectors who just collect records for art pieces/to have a physical representation of their music taste?

Just because they don't spin their records, do you think you are more justified as a music lover? If they hold onto it and find happiness looking at a sealed record, and that record appreciates in value, is it truly any different than what other people do?

good lord. the INTENT is where it differs. if I buy a record bc I really like it and I listen to it alot, but then 5, 6, 7 years from now I'm not really into it and sell it, it's acceptable to do so. bc the INTENT was to listen to it and enjoy it for personal purposes. not to sell it for a profit.

do you absorb nothing? 

I like having my own personal home music store that is always stocked with only the music I like. Therefore I have hundreds of sealed albums. I am not afraid to go over to my shelves and open up a sealed record to play, but because of the size of my collection there is a good possibility that some records may never get listened to. At some point I will be thinning out the collection and I intend to make a profit from it.

I am not sure what label applies to me.

good lord. the INTENT is where it differs. if I buy a record bc I really like it and I listen to it alot, but then 5, 6, 7 years from now I'm not really into it and sell it, it's acceptable to do so. bc the INTENT was to listen to it and enjoy it for personal purposes. not to sell it for a profit.

do you absorb nothing? 

You literally said "Not buying and keeping sealed ... that's still buying with intent to flip bc of value."

You never showed *your* grasp of people having different intentions. 

I think you misunderstood. It was stated that buying a record for listening purposes then selling it down the line is OK. Not buying and keeping sealed ... that's still buying with intent to flip bc of value.

No I understood but what I posted wasn't a reply to what you posted just a general observation of record collectors and people who complain about flipping.