A discussion about record flippers

are you trying to give them the capitol involved in pressing exuberant numbers of records?

the only flipping I'm doing Is flipping on the grammar switch... You mean capital; capitol is a building, i.e.: State capitol.

That's all I have to add to this thread. Laterz

Listen.

I've flipped a record or two in my day, but if you're going to do it on here...be discrete about it.

I knew somebody wanted that Sufjan 7" so I PM'ed them and sold it to them at an inflated price, but still far less than they'd be able to get it elsewhere.

Seeing as it was tour only and going for $100+ everywhere else, $60ppd didn't seem that bad to him. Take into account the cost of tickets to the show ($40 + fees here), the cost of the 7" itself ($10), shipping, and that $60 just about let me break even on the night.

What I'm saying here is that many of us may have flipped something once or twice, but there are some people who are huge offenders in this category, either doing it so often or asking absurd prices for stuff that they bought specifically to sell.  If you want to sell records as a job, open a store. Obviously people on this forum aren't a fan of flipping, so making threads to flip, or mentioning in other threads that you're selling something new at an inflated price isn't smart.

Sell stuff on eBay/discogs and don't promote it here, or privately contact people about stuff they want, and less users on here will hate you. Then maybe, just maybe, we can avoid stupid threads like this where everyone is just arguing about the semantics of what flipping a record really means.

It's a personal moral thing, I get it, but in the big picture if you sold an album to someone for 20, 50, 100+ personal profit, after you die, and they die, and 300 years in the future, does it really matter what the price/profit of it was? No one will care about that transaction, in the end someone willingly payed a price that they saw fit to enjoy the music they want, while another enjoys using the profit that will inevitably go into bills or some other cost in life...or some more shit they don't need. lmao

And then everyone else likes to get nosey and complain about what others are doing in their own lives, and what others are doing with their own money. lol

I'm flipping some records on eBay right now.

What happened was I spent a day going record shopping on Saturday. On Sunday, I spilled water over my wife's laptop, and now need to buy her a new computer. So I decided to list the new records I bought (not too attached to them). But I want letting go of these to be worth it. The starting bid is half their actual value.. but I paid much less. So everyone wins. Except the computer. But she gets a new one.

It's not a black and white issue.

There is an asshole on eBay that snags up the Misfits BINs (when listed at good prices) and soon flips for 200%. He's partly responsible for the inflation over the past 3 years. This kind of professional flipping I completely despise.

As for selling something from your personal collection for more than you paid, I think that's absolutely fine. It is a market and it doesn't make sense to loose money unless you need space or are desperate (been there and done that many times). For me personally, I list items at prices that makes it worth it for me to let them go. If no one wants to buy them, that's fine. If they sell, that's fine.

I've purchased items at inflated prices many times. The true value of an item goes beyond what others have been willing to pay. You have to factor in how much you want it and how patient you are. Will you wait 10 years to get it at $10, or get it now for $100. Most records depreciate in value over time when they are no longer popular items.

Professional flippers are scum.

Personally flipping is absolutely fine.

5619492aba8ec68b0d1b2d85104f34b2_zpswva7

I mean it's comparable in that they are both things that one could easily do without (multiple pairs of sneakers vs. one pair of chucks) but it's something that we/ they collect based on a general interest and desire to have many. When people collect sneakers I imagine they wear them on occasion (same as when we play records), but they probably treat them as if they are made of thin glass (kind of like how we treat records). The dudes I knew had boxes and boxes of shoes. Probably thousands of dollars worth tucked away. They knew where every shoe was too. Sounds familiar huh?

I mean it's comparable in that they are both things that one could easily do without (multiple pairs of sneakers vs. one pair of chucks) but it's something that we/ they collect based on a general interest and desire to have many. When people collect sneakers I imagine they wear them on occasion (same as when we play records), but they probably treat them as if they are made of thin glass (kind of like how we treat records). The dudes I knew had boxes and boxes of shoes. Probably thousands of dollars worth tucked away. They knew where every shoe was too. Sounds familiar huh?

A buddy of mine is out of the military and works at a Finish Line and he's always telling me about the crazy amount of money people drop on sneakers in the store buying what he has on the walls and even asking him if he will sell them the different sneakers he wears in to work.

I'm flipping some records on eBay right now.

What happened was I spent a day going record shopping on Saturday. On Sunday, I spilled water over my wife's laptop, and now need to buy her a new computer. So I decided to list the new records I bought (not too attached to them). But I want letting go of these to be worth it. The starting bid is half their actual value.. but I paid much less. So everyone wins. Except the computer. But she gets a new one.

Do you have homeowners or renter's insurance? That might cover the spill minus your deductible...

A buddy of mine is out of the military and works at a Finish Line and he's always telling me about the crazy amount of money people drop on sneakers in the store buying what he has on the walls and even asking him if he will sell them the different sneakers he wears in to work.

Sounds like record store day, but everyday.

maxresdefault.jpg

What a fuckin' nightmare.

I enjoy the comedy in this thread but ultimately I think many are making it a bit overblown.

Not sure about you guys but in the past when I have attempted to turn a profit on something (not even just records) I usually end up a day late and several bucks short and eating my shirt on the goods anyways.  Self regulating system.  I think the Internet has caught up and made it too easy to see through bullshit, everyone's a price expert and a cheapass now.  Just because some douche has an album at $200 on discogs doesn't mean he's getting $200 for it.

Even on eBay, unless you get your inventory for free, good luck making a good margin on thrift store finds or whatever after shipping, ebay and paypal fees.

I bet a lot of you who have flipped a $30 record they bought in 2008 into a $200 one in 2015 aren't exactly raking in the fat cash anyways.

I just wish people would list some of the earlier If These Trees Could Talk albums for less than $80. Seems like you can't get a copy of their s/t or "AtE BtS" for less than that.

$50? Sure. I'd probably pay that. But I feel like more than double for something that came out less than 10 years ago begins to start encroaching into the price gouging territory.

Its tough because music means so much to people personally that its an exploitable thing... you wan to have the vinyl experience of listening to Malabar Front on vinyl? Then pay me $80 to have that experience.

I kind of say fuck that, but I also do want to have that experience of listening to that material.

We should just have record libraries.