Unless there was one years ago and I couldn't find it, I thought it might be a good idea to talk about headphones in a thread dedicated to them. 

In the last four or five months, I've bought (and sold) several pairs, figuring out exactly what I like in fit, sound, style, and function. I now have headphones for work/on-the-go, home (computer), home (video game system), and for recording music. I've learned that I much prefer over-ear to anything else.

What I'm looking for now is a decent pair of IEMs, but I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out how to get them to fit right. I figured I'd start with a cheap pair - I got some MEElectronics M-Duos from the recent Massdrop, and I'm just playing around with them to figure out what fit works. But also, from what I have been able to listen to, these IEMs are not all that impressive sound-wise. Any experiences with different IEM tips (single/double/triple)? Obviously anything going in the ear is very personal, but I'm having trouble with getting them to stay in and not sound pretty bad (though again, it could be the relatively low quality of these IEMs - I'm thinking I'll try some Shure SE215, Hifiman RE-400, or something equivalent in order to see how they sound and feel).

I have the hifman re-400.

They sound really awesome but the right ear bud has already detached from the casing. This is after about a 7-8 months of use. I can pop it back in and it works but it now gets static sometimes.

I'll keep using them for awhile longer but will be in the market for some new headphones soon.

I have a set of these (exact ones not up anymore, mine are red cord/red body/black remote and rubber.) and I really like them. They sound really great when you change the tips (there's a foam set included)

Shit, I forgot to put the link in there.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WP8RA6W?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

it seems like massdrop is always having IEM's for sale.  not sure how good they are but you can probably check there.

That's kind of what I've been up to, but I feel like I really want to try some of these headphones hands-on. With a terrible Canadian dollar right now, and the potential to pay import fees, even at some of the rates on Massdrop, I've been a bit hesitant. I've bought a couple pair of over ear headphones without trying and based on online feedback, but I feel like in-ear is a bit more subjective depending on ear shape.

I was also reading about Dunu Titan 1, which is a hybrid earbud/IEM that doesn't go as far into the ear. I really want to try them out but haven't found anywhere close to me that sells them....quite frankly, I'm striking out on finding local sellers for Hifiman and those particular Shures too...

I absolutely hate iems, but if I were to buy a pair on a budget, I'd get some cable-over-ear universal fitting iems (like the shure models). If you want the best fit though, look into customs. I know it's a completely different budget, but those are made to last. Alclair makes customs from $300 up, but check out customart. They're in EU, but their entry level custom is around $200 and is absolutely incredible. Twice the price you're looking to spend, but in my opinion really worth considering regardless.

Just posted this in the beginners thread, but this seems like a better place

Need some advice on cans. I've got ATH M50s and they sound pretty good but after about 30min-1hr it's all my ears can take. Currently being driven by a Marantz PM6005 but could grab an amp if necessary. Don't care if they're open/closed just want a comfortable, sonically superior set. Will be vinyl only

Also, what's the consensus on cord extension? Will it negatively impact the experience? I've currency got a 20' extension and love the extra freedom

Just posted this in the beginners thread, but this seems like a better place

Need some advice on cans. I've got ATH M50s and they sound pretty good but after about 30min-1hr it's all my ears can take. Currently being driven by a Marantz PM6005 but could grab an amp if necessary. Don't care if they're open/closed just want a comfortable, sonically superior set. Will be vinyl only

Also, what's the consensus on cord extension? Will it negatively impact the experience? I've currency got a 20' extension and love the extra freedom

Before anyone gives you recommendations, some clarification questions:

-did you find the fatigue with the M50s came from the comfort or the music?

-what kind of budget do you have?

-have you looked online as to feedback about the PM6005's headphone amp quality? Usually a popular amp like that will have a lot of comments. If you were to get a headphone amp, would you want to only listen to vinyl or other methods (digital, CD, etc.)?

Also, do you know what kind of headphone extension cord you have? I found a no name one that I have had for years and it really lowers the quality, but I used a Grado one with Grado cans and felt like I lost nothing. Usually that would probably be a pretty easy test - try the same song with and without he extension cord and see if you hear a difference.

Before anyone gives you recommendations, some clarification questions:

-did you find the fatigue with the M50s came from the comfort or the music?

-what kind of budget do you have?

-have you looked online as to feedback about the PM6005's headphone amp quality? Usually a popular amp like that will have a lot of comments. If you were to get a headphone amp, would you want to only listen to vinyl or other methods (digital, CD, etc.)?

Also, do you know what kind of headphone extension cord you have? I found a no name one that I have had for years and it really lowers the quality, but I used a Grado one with Grado cans and felt like I lost nothing. Usually that would probably be a pretty easy test - try the same song with and without he extension cord and see if you hear a difference.

I'd say the fatigue is mostly from comfort, they sound pretty decent but I think I'd like to move to some with more of a soundstage, something more natural. I'd put my budget around $300 but could wait a little longer to save up if a bit more would be worth it/open up my options. I haven't really looked into feedback about the headphone amp section but I'll definitely start. The extension I've got now is quite old and prob some cheapo one, it was my dads. I'm sure I'll end up getting a new one as well

Without firsthand experience, but based on a lot of reading online, I might suggest taking a look at some of the following to consider (all of which would be quite a bit cheaper if you go second-hand):

Sennheiser HD 600 or HD 650

Grado SR225i or SR325i

Beyerdynamic DT 880 (with different ohms dependent on how powerful your headphone amp might be

There are a ton more, but all of the above listed are open back. If you've never experienced open back, I bought some of the Superlux HD668B cans from Amazon and they are pretty remarkable for $40 or so. I've heard that buying $12 velour pads will increase soundstage and comfort.

But obviously what will be best as far as comfort will be to go into a store and try out different fits. I love Grado when I'm lying down but i don't find them comfortable when sitting up. You may want some very large cans like the AKG K550 or K551 (I have the K545 which are a bit smaller but very nice). With $300 to spend, you should have a lot of flexibility. You could find a very decent pair of any of the above second hand and still have money to buy a good headphone amp like the Schiit Magni 2 Uber (which has the option to bypass, so that you can add it to your system).

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Massdrop has O2 amplifiers for pretty good prices - $80 for a 3.5mm input version, $95 for an RCA + 6.5mm input version. Pretty good prices for a pretty incredibly reviewed amp. I've been waffling as to whether I should buy an O2 or maybe a Schiit Magni 2, but I think I might be leaning towards getting the deal via Massdrop. Anyone have either the O2 or the Magni? Thoughts?

I have a Vali that I enjoy.

Not sure if it makes much of a difference, maybe simply as a point of interest...but, ANYBODY can manufacture an O2 amp/dac.  The design itself is open source. I could slap these things together in my basement, call it an Objective O2 and sell it online.

You may see significant variation in build quality from unit to unit as different vendors with varying QC uses different components.

After searching high and low for a set i could truly get into, i settled on these (Audeze LCD-3) last year https://www.audeze.com/products/lcd-collection/lcd-3

I can honestly say i've never been more satisfied with a set of headphones, they even give my Kilpsch Paladiums a run for their money!