• 3 months later...

1 hour ago, slinch said:

If you have the electronics to back it up, then yes, it is very much a worthy upgrade.

Agreed. I had the HD6XX for about 6 months, and through my Burson Conductor they sounded incredible. I only sold them to help fund an upgrade to Audeze LCD-3, but for that price, they are well worth the money (though they will not be all that impressive direct from an iPhone or laptop). I would say you'd need at least a Schiit Magni or O2 amp to get them going.   If you're looking for something a bit warmer though,  you can easily find Hifiman HE400i used for around $200 or less. I actually preferred the Hifiman - I think I'm more into the planar magnetic sound. But the HD6XX are identical (other than colour and cable length) to the HD650, which are Head-Fi's highest rated over-ears, and sold before this for $300+ even used.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 12/28/2017 at 2:21 PM, Kujako said:

Finding first generation Sennheiser Momentums on eBay for under 40$... seems like a steal. Some of them are missing the cable, but you can find those on Amazon for a few bucks.

It's odd that there are 160 sold when it's preowned. Where did this seller get 160+ used headphones? And the condition listed for them kind of scares me. I get it. They're operable, and the damage is cosmetic. But I don't want to roll the dice on a huge gash in the side of something I'm regular going to wear on my head.

Do you have any idea what's up these deals? I appreciate you sharing.

• 4 months later...
18 hours ago, beagiesmalls said:

Looking to replace my PSB M4U 1 wired headphones.  Anyone have any updated recommendations I should check out?  Looking to spend <$300.

Thanks!

I can probably make some recommendations, but we need more details: do you want open back? Closed/portable? Over the ear? On the ear? In ear? Wired? Wireless? If you can think about where you are going to be doing most listening, and from what source, that would change my recommendations. Lots of amazing options under $300, but in so many different categories.

5 hours ago, Sidney Crosley said:

I can probably make some recommendations, but we need more details: do you want open back? Closed/portable? Over the ear? On the ear? In ear? Wired? Wireless? If you can think about where you are going to be doing most listening, and from what source, that would change my recommendations. Lots of amazing options under $300, but in so many different categories.

100% in my office which has a door so I can basically go with whatever.  Found the PSB's to be super comfortable and reliable-used them M-F for about five years.  Use them with a Black Dragonfly DAC so prefer wired.  Media is 100% Spotify streaming at high bit rate.  Hope this helps!  Thanks

2 hours ago, beagiesmalls said:

100% in my office which has a door so I can basically go with whatever.  Found the PSB's to be super comfortable and reliable-used them M-F for about five years.  Use them with a Black Dragonfly DAC so prefer wired.  Media is 100% Spotify streaming at high bit rate.  Hope this helps!  Thanks

Definitely helps. 

I would suggest going with open-back - really opens up the soundstage and in my opinion you get better quality sound for lower costs. 

The best headphones in this bracket, at least to me:

Sennheiser HD 6XX ($200 - may need a dedicated headphone amp on top of your Dragonfly - Schiit Magni 3 for $100 would more than work)

Hifiman HE400i ($150 or so used - used to sell for $599 new and price kept dropping. Great deal for planar magnetic headphones and sound nice with no extra amping)

AKG K702/K7XX (new around $200, used around $150. Would probably pair okay with the Dragonfly, but would benefit from a powerful amp)

Grado SR125/225/325 (amazing and price between $120-200; unique fit and very leaky)

if you go closed back, I don’t have as much experience. I have the PSB M4U 2 (same sound but with noise cancelling) and have had the AKG K545 and Shure SRH840, but I haven’t heard too much else. I had a pair of Audeze EL-8 closed back at work for a while, but they’re still in the $350 range used. 

If you go used, especially on a site like Head-fi.org’s classifieds, there are a ton of good deals to be had. Especially since lots of folks (myself included) tend to work their way up the headphone chain and sell off cans at good prices. 

AKG K702s have limited bass unless you have a massive headphone amp. The soundstage is huge, but overall sound can be dry with fatiguing high end. 

Grados tend to run bright as well. Have a quirky design, but do sound very good. I've had the SR60, 80, and 225s. 

V-moda makes some really durable and portable closed back headphones. Might want to look into them as well. I also recommend the Sennheiser HD650s. Nice comfort level, open soundstage, good build quality, and just a lush midrange. Little rolled off on the highs and good bass output. Less listening fatigue overall relative to the AKG K702 and any Grado model.

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody else have the LCD 2s? I own a pair of LCD 2.2, bamboo and run them through a Furutech ADL GT40 but I'm not sure if the headphones would benefit from something more powerful. The GT40 is a crazy all-in-one unit though, and I would recommend it if anyone is looking for a small, simple solution to switch between their turntable and a PC. Seems like Schiit gets all the love lately, but there are other options!