Deafheaven - New Bermuda

It kind of goes with their "black metal" aesthetic, no?  It'd be really weird if they used some super mathy drum rhythms.  Their drummer is an absolute beast and has technical chops that exceed speed and blast beats, I think.  I've always admired his fills and musicianship on RTJ, Sunbather, etc.  I have no doubt he'll have moments where he shines on Bermuda, too.

Err... It's not really a black metal trope to have rudimentary drums, Absu have crushing and mathematical drum rhythms, and they're probably one of the best USBM bands releasing material still.

Also... Roads and Sunbather have two different drummers, Roads has a guy named Trevor (I think) who I honestly think did a pretty sloppy job on that record, and the drummer from Sunbather (Daniel?) is still touring with them and probably on the new record. He is heads and shoulders better than Trevor who quite frankly held Roads back in my opinion, though it's still my favorite release of theirs.

Err... It's not really a black metal trope to have rudimentary drums, Absu have crushing and mathematical drum rhythms, and they're probably one of the best USBM bands releasing material still.

Also... Roads and Sunbather have two different drummers, Roads has a guy named Trevor (I think) who I honestly think did a pretty sloppy job on that record, and the drummer from Sunbather (Daniel?) is still touring with them and probably on the new record. He is heads and shoulders better than Trevor who quite frankly held Roads back in my opinion, though it's still my favorite release of theirs.

Totally agree. If Roads had more creative drumming and better production, it'd probably be my favorite Deafheaven release, but Sunbather takes the cake for me at the moment.

Though this album's more metal side seems promising. It will totally knock my socks off if they incorporate Sunbather-esque riffs into a couple of the tracks.

the more I listen to the new song the more I like it. Also, yes, the solo is kind of sonically eerie, but I don't hear it as completely "out of place" or "out of key" or whatever people here have been calling it. Upon first listen it surely wasn't the "eye opener" that Dream House was when it was first released, but I really like the song and its structure now. I am excited to hear the record in full.

the more I listen to the new song the more I like it. Also, yes, the solo is kind of sonically eerie, but I don't hear it as completely "out of place" or "out of key" or whatever people here have been calling it. Upon first listen it surely wasn't the "eye opener" that Dream House was when it was first released, but I really like the song and its structure now. I am excited to hear the record in full.

This is basically where I'm at, word for word.  Dream House will always be a hell of an intro track to top.  Familiarizing myself with Brought to the Water has been a very rewarding experience thus far; it feels way more cohesive despite the grab-bag of styles.  It's going to be a grueling wait for October.

This is basically where I'm at, word for word.  Dream House will always be a hell of an intro track to top.  Familiarizing myself with Brought to the Water has been a very rewarding experience thus far; it feels way more cohesive despite the grab-bag of styles.  It's going to be a grueling wait for October.

I especially like the poppy sounding lead towards the end of the song, and to me this even delivers some of the "shoegazy" feeling that made Sunbather so great (I think it was compared to Oasis, which is kind of funny but also true somehow).

I'm all about Vertigo.

I'm extremely bummed they aren't incorporating more shoegaze/post-rock stuff into the sound. I cannot get enough of that.

blah blah artistic progression blah blah... Sunbather will be the album that they will be doing tours of in 10 years, not New Bermuda.

This will be a great album, but it will not be a game changer like Sunbather.

Sunbather is just one of those albums, like Dark Side of the Moon, that comes along once or twice a generation and just completely rips a new paradigm into existence and changes EVERYTHING.

I'm extremely bummed they aren't incorporating more shoegaze/post-rock stuff into the sound. I cannot get enough of that.

blah blah artistic progression blah blah... Sunbather will be the album that they will be doing tours of in 10 years, not New Bermuda.

Sunbather is just one of those albums, like Dark Side of the Moon, that comes along once or twice a generation and just completely rips a new paradigm into existence and changes EVERYTHING.

Want to hear post rock? Listen to Caspian. Deafheaven really isn't post as much as they are atmospheric, but we can save that for another time...

What are you talking about? You've only heard about one of five songs, about 15-20% of the album so far. You essentially have a whole 40(?) minutes left, and the album as a whole. Wait until the album comes out before you start spouting off all these remarks. Haha. Damn, dude. Jumping the gun a little early.

While I kinda agree with your first two sentences, I have to go with Dave Grohl on this. Who knows? They may have some more Sunbather-esque riffs in the later track. Honestly, if they do pull off some shit like that, while still creating this more black-metal vibe, I think this will top Sunbather. I'm super excited to hear the rest of this album, because it has the potential do everything Sunbather did, and more; namely, progression. Sunbather was great at giving me the feels. The title track is still my ringtone, but man... Lately it's been hard to give that thing full spin because by the time I finish Vertigo I feel a little... empty?

I have a feeling this album may not have that quality to it.

But at the same time, this album could be one of the most mediocre metal releases of the year.

While I kinda agree with your first two sentences, I have to go with Dave Grohl on this. Who knows? They may have some more Sunbather-esque riffs in the later track. Honestly, if they do pull off some shit like that, while still creating this more black-metal vibe, I think this will top Sunbather. I'm super excited to hear the rest of this album, because it has the potential do everything Sunbather did, and more; namely, progression. Sunbather was great at giving me the feels. The title track is still my ringtone, but man... Lately it's been hard to give that thing full spin because by the time I finish Vertigo I feel a little... empty?

I have a feeling this album may not have that quality to it.

But at the same time, this album could be one of the most mediocre metal releases of the year.

And that's coming from someone who LOVES post rock. Haha.

I'm just excited to hear this thing front to back, whatever direction it might go. I have faith in them to put out a solid release. 

Ironically, there's an interview posted on Rolling Stone today with Kerry where he talks about trying to stray from a lot of that sound.

“I was definitely trying to distance myself from the whole shoegaze thing and go more towards alternative rock, which is why there’s the Oasis homage at the end of ‘Gifts for the Earth,’ and some of the songs have more of a slow-core vibe — like, my take on Low or Red House Painters. There’s even like a Wilco slide guitar-y thing on ‘Come Back.’ Not so much reverb and spacey-ness, which in my opinion is being beaten to death currently, but more of an emphasis on hooks, riffs and real melodies.”

He's not wrong about the "beaten to death" part. Let's just wait to hear this album in full, though.

Link to full article: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/deafheaven-on-trying-to-top-sunbather-and-prove-their-metal-20150825

Please stop.

Like Dave said, it's pointless to jump to such grandiose conclusions after hearing a single song.  [Which, I fully suspect, will translate very well into a live setting.]  There is absolutely no way to gauge what the band will be playing live 10 years from now, or if they'll even be a touring band in 10 years.

It's true that the formula for Sunbather worked, but do you really want a Sunbather II?  Sunbather III?  I know I don't.  That album will cement itself in their discography for what it is.  Cloning it again and again will cheapen the lasting integrity of it, in my opinion.  I love the idea of skimming a Deafheaven collection and deciding what you're in the mood to hear; having that option from a band that progresses is a beautiful thing.  If anything, Brought to the Water has displayed a nice mesh of metal / thrash / whatever, but it is not without its post-rock influences towards the middle.  I really see no need to blow things out of proportion until we've had a week or two to digest the album in full.

But of course, there will be countless skeptics who're already chomping at the bit to post "R.I.P. Deafheaven" after one listen to the new single, and they're the same people who are going to have bad knee-jerk reactions to their first spin of the record.  And that's cool – no one is forcing you to enjoy what this band churns out.  All I ask is that we curb the assumptions and early critique until we've heard the album in full.  And preferably more than once.

It's true that the formula for Sunbather worked, but do you really want a Sunbather II?  Sunbather III?  I know I don't.  That album will cement itself in their discography for what it is.  Cloning it again and again will cheapen the lasting integrity of it, in my opinion. 

Nailed it.

Please stop.

Like Dave said, it's pointless to jump to such grandiose conclusions after hearing a single song.  [Which, I fully suspect, will translate very well into a live setting.]  There is absolutely no way to gauge what the band will be playing live 10 years from now, or if they'll even be a touring band in 10 years.

It's true that the formula for Sunbather worked, but do you really want a Sunbather II?  Sunbather III?  I know I don't.  That album will cement itself in their discography for what it is.  Cloning it again and again will cheapen the lasting integrity of it, in my opinion.  I love the idea of skimming a Deafheaven collection and deciding what you're in the mood to hear; having that option from a band that progresses is a beautiful thing.  If anything, Brought to the Water has displayed a nice mesh of metal / thrash / whatever, but it is not without its post-rock influences towards the middle.  I really see no need to blow things out of proportion until we've had a week or two to digest the album in full.

But of course, there will be countless skeptics who're already chomping at the bit to post "R.I.P. Deafheaven" after one listen to the new single, and they're the same people who are going to have bad knee-jerk reactions to their first spin of the record.  And that's cool – no one is forcing you to enjoy what this band churns out.  All I ask is that we curb the assumptions and early critique until we've heard the album in full.  And preferably more than once.

While I agree with the sentiment that making Sunbather clones would cheapen the impact, I feel like this is a style that they could explore a ton and not just clone it.

I know the album will destroy, but Sunbather... that sound... they could make a career out of that and I would be SO happy haha.

I listened to the full thing yesterday on the way home from Phish's Magnaball festival in Watkins Glen, and crusing through the mountains of I-88 and listening to The Pecan Tree on full blast... Yeah, I want more of that. :D

And don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the new stuff, I'm sure it will be super awesome. But the impact of Sunbather is something I think that will haunt them forever.

Although I hope they turn out like Pink Floyd, where Wish You Were Here and Animals are JUST as good (Animals is the best, though) as Dark Side, even though Dark Side is the more famous high-water mark.

Because honestly, I was hoping we'd get more stuff like From The Kettle To The Coil. That shit is so good. I was really hoping that was the direction they were going to go from Sunbather, where you can trace the roots of that album's impact but it's still a different kind of thing.

Oh look!  A selfish 'fan' making shit predictions with no frame of reference.

I love Sunbather too, but to talk about how it 'changes EVERYTHING' while comparing it to DSOTM is the dumbest thing I've read in a long time.