Deafheaven - New Bermuda

While I agree with the sentiment that making Sunbather clones would cheapen the impact, I feel like this is a style that they could explore a ton and not just clone it.

I know the album will destroy, but Sunbather... that sound... they could make a career out of that and I would be SO happy haha.

I listened to the full thing yesterday on the way home from Phish's Magnaball festival in Watkins Glen, and crusing through the mountains of I-88 and listening to The Pecan Tree on full blast... Yeah, I want more of that. :D

And don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the new stuff, I'm sure it will be super awesome. But the impact of Sunbather is something I think that will haunt them forever.

Although I hope they turn out like Pink Floyd, where Wish You Were Here and Animals are JUST as good (Animals is the best, though) as Dark Side, even though Dark Side is the more famous high-water mark.

Because honestly, I was hoping we'd get more stuff like From The Kettle To The Coil. That shit is so good. I was really hoping that was the direction they were going to go from Sunbather, where you can trace the roots of that album's impact but it's still a different kind of thing.

I'm just gonna go ahead and roll my eyes at this.

Im not even than into the genre outside maybe 4-5 bands, but didn't Wolves In the Throne Room release Two Hunters in 2007?

Yep. And Alcest released Le Secret in 2005 and a demo that began to explore the sound a year prior. Neige's other project, Amoseurs, was putting out similar music in 2006. Of course there's the ridiculously under appreciated Altar of Plagues too. If you want more music like Sunbather, there's plenty more out there. Don't get bent out of shape that New Bermuda is likely going to be a bit of a departure.

Okay.

1. Lyrics are generic sounding and NOTHING about it says black metal.

2. Drums on Sunbather are boring.

3. What the fuck does shoegaze? have anything to do with BLACK METAL? nothing.

4. What happened to metal, punk, alternative? The new genres need to fucking stop.

5. Downvote me 11 times.

6. This band is nothing special. They were just on an apple ad.

While I agree with the sentiment that making Sunbather clones would cheapen the impact, I feel like this is a style that they could explore a ton and not just clone it.

I know the album will destroy, but Sunbather... that sound... they could make a career out of that and I would be SO happy haha.

I listened to the full thing yesterday on the way home from Phish's Magnaball festival in Watkins Glen, and crusing through the mountains of I-88 and listening to The Pecan Tree on full blast... Yeah, I want more of that. :D

And don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the new stuff, I'm sure it will be super awesome. But the impact of Sunbather is something I think that will haunt them forever.

Although I hope they turn out like Pink Floyd, where Wish You Were Here and Animals are JUST as good (Animals is the best, though) as Dark Side, even though Dark Side is the more famous high-water mark.

Because honestly, I was hoping we'd get more stuff like From The Kettle To The Coil. That shit is so good. I was really hoping that was the direction they were going to go from Sunbather, where you can trace the roots of that album's impact but it's still a different kind of thing.

LgAm1yV.gif

Okay.

4. What happened to metal, punk, alternative? The new genres need to fucking stop.

5. Downvote me 11 times.

giphy.gif

lol I know I have extreme views. It's all in good fun, the music is still sick. I love the middle clean break in Back To The Water.

Incidentally enough, I literally just got a text message from my best friend Matt who fucking HAAAAATES Sunbather. His take on that album: "It's just a bunch of noise, there is nothing happening."

Yeah, whatever guy.

So he sends me this tonight:

"I hate to say it but the new Deafheaven song is pretty good, has some great transitions."

I don't get him sometimes, lol.

Okay.

5. Downvote me 11 times.

tumblr_n9ij0ekQmc1setsv8o1_400.gif

I unfollowed this thread almost 2 weeks ago and it won't go away!!

And I just gave "Satan" 2 upvotes to balance out the unnecessary downvotes - my church will probably excommunicate me now. :(  

My daughter really likes Wolves In The Throne Room, and it drives my wife crazy. I love all of Neige's projects.  The interludes in Sunbather are gems. 

Since this is a shoegaze related thread, this band called See Through Dresses has a new album dropping today (Tiny Engines). Y'all should check them out. Just wait for Juan to bump that thread and get on it.