Deafheaven - New Bermuda

Like others, I wish my pink copy was more pink. The A/B sides have small wisps of hot pink that look really cool, but they aren't too noticeable. The C/D sides probably have more green than pink.

They sound amazing, but the jacket is garbage.

what's wrong with the jacket? is this the embossed one?

I picked up a copy at the show tonight, haven't had time to give it a proper going over but my initial impression is the embossed gatefold is even better looking than I was expecting. The "pale violet" vinyl is gorgeous too, more of a blue/darker purple/translucent purple splatter, I was a bit concerned because the copy they had on the merch table looked like just plain old purple and not that good.

I've emailed King's Road to see if I can cancel my coke clear (translucent green?) order.

Saw them in Portland the other night. God damnit, what a set. 

I just couldn't get into that opener though, it might have just been me, but the mix was god awful. 

Yeah, I saw them last night and thought the same thing. I mean, its pretty common to have vocals too high in the mix at shows, but they were especially bad, way too up front and I just didn't like the guy's pitch and monotone rasp. The music itself was alright I guess, pretty generic, I zoned out pretty quickly, but better vocals would have improved everything.

Deafheaven on the other hand, had one of the best mixes I've ever heard, everything sat right where it should be, vocals were kinda under everything like on the albums, nothing was overpowering anything else, no harsh frequencies, it was great and they were tight as hell.

Yeah, I saw them last night and thought the same thing. I mean, its pretty common to have vocals too high in the mix at shows, but they were especially bad, way too up front and I just didn't like the guy's pitch and monotone rasp. The music itself was alright I guess, pretty generic, I zoned out pretty quickly, but better vocals would have improved everything.

Seeing them tonight.  I listened to about half of the Tribulations record yesterday and it didn't do much for me.  Pretty generic is a great way to describe it.  The friend I'm going with tonight wants to see them, I probably would've showed up later if it was up to me.

Is Envy not on your dates?

Sadly, no.  They're hitting this coast next month.

Looks like the purple is sold out from Hello Merch now. So anyone looking will have to hit a show or ask someone who is going.

Still available form Sargent House in the UK:

http://sargenthouse.awesomedistro.com/products/559476-deafheaven-new-bermuda-cd-lp-preorder

I know that shipping is high but if you'll not make it to a show, here's your last chance.

It just so happens that my euro 180g pink copy arrived today as well, so I compared it to the pale violet deluxe I picked up at the show. All around, I'd say that the violet press is the overall winner.

The pink is pretty washed out and plain looking, as everyone else has stated. It arrived in fairly good shape for a record shipped from Europe to Vancouver, no bends or creases though there is a bit of a seam split on the gatefold and the inner sleeves, and the cardstock is pretty flimsy, the edges have a couple small dents. The records themselves are fine. It's nice that it came in a resealable poly sleeve, though lighter than I usually use, and the inner sleeves have an antistatic lining, which the deluxe didn't. I did get the poster with the pink, didn't get one with the deluxe. The cover is just so flat and plain side by side with the deluxe, the heavy gatefold, the embossing and reflective ink just makes it pop in comparison. Aesthetically, everything about the deluxe violet, the artwork, the materials, the vinyl colour way, is superior.

I spun Gifts for the Earth from both, and while there wasn't a huge difference, the violet copy wins again. I don't have the best system (U-Turn Orbit Plus > Radial J33 Turntable preamp/DI > Apogee Duet2 > M-Audio BX5a monitors & KRK 10s sub), but the pink seems to have a bit of harshness and sibilance that wasn't on the violet, and there was definitely surface noise and a persistent tick in the outro that I couldn't see a cause for. I'll have to give both copies a proper wash later, but none of that was present on the deluxe copy. In loud sections both copies sounded very good, but the violet was better.