Deafheaven - New Bermuda

With most new releases - especially the ones that take forever to get pressed on vinyl and arrive on my doorstep - I do my best to not overplay the leaks or MP3s, if I'm going to listen beforehand.  Just a preference of mine.  New Bermuda was difficult because it's so easy to revisit and has so many nuances that shine with repeated listens.  I'm not as adamant about wanting to listen to it everyday, but there's no way I could've held off if it wasn't for that tour variant.  Not singling you out or accusing you of doing so, but I just find it funny [and annoying] whenever anyone is so quick to proclaim something as "album of the year" or "the pinnacle of this band's work", only to come back a month later, shrugging and boasting that they're "over it".  I've seen it a lot over the years and I guess it just perplexes me.  Maybe I'm just more reserved with my opinions and initial impressions.

You should be really happy with your order whenever it shows up, especially if you opted for a deluxe jacket / U.S. press.

Hmmm....  if you remember, I was more or less stating that this record does not stand up to Sunbather :P

It's definitely a great record, but for me....  Sunbather > New Bermuda.  I mean I like this album, its definitely good...  but Sunbather, man.  SUNBATHER.  

But yeah, I get what you're saying.  My "I'm over it" was more in the way of "Okay, I'm not even really interested in exploring this album any more because my excitement over it's release has abated."

If I have a copy of an album coming that I haven't listened to before, I almost always wait until I've listened to my vinyl copy before my digital in the car.

I always wait unless I'm seeing the band before my LP is going to show up.  Then I just want to be more familiar with the new material before I see them.  That's a pretty rare case, but it happens occasionally.

I usually wait to get the record in the mail if I've ordered one before I listen to a download / stream / leak. Given I still don't have a physical copy of New Bermuda, and new how long the delays were, I downloaded the 24bit version (which sounds incredible).

I already love this album more than Sunbather, because it's an entirely different album. It's not Sunbather 2.0, which is a good thing. The mastering is better, the quality is better, the music is more fine tuned and diverse. It's growing on me a lot faster than Sunbather did. For some reason it took me a good while to get into the previous album, but their new work just seems more accessible for my taste.

All in all, this album is definitely in my top 10 for the year.

I find myself listening to this less frequently than I did Roads and Sunbather when they were released.  It's a very good album, it just doesn't seem to resonate with me the same as the previous two did.

Same with me. Roads and Sunbather are just more my bag for what Deafheaven offers.

New Bermuda is a great record, but I want more of that blackgaze sound from them. They do it SO well.

I want more of that blackgaze sound from them. They do it SO well.

i agree with this, ive listened to new bermuda a fair amount, and tried to get into it

i just dont think its as good, this thread has inspired me to give it another listen though

what i liked about the first two records, and the demo, is that i was into it the first listen. those catchy ass riffs made it for me

Well, after two months or so listening to this on shitty headphones and/or in my car via my iPhone, I finally got the physical record today.  I must say, I got the US pressing on the translucent purple vinyl, and it is superb.  The "clean" parts are pristine, and the "dirty" parts are raw and sinister as hell.  Great recording and vinyl pressing.  You can really tell the band went into the studio and knew how they wanted this record to sound, and how to achieve that sound.  Really impressed with how they grew from Sunbather to this record.  Not saying it's better, or even that I like it more, just that you really can tell they have grown, and as a fan, I appreciate that they are moving forward and are not clinging to the record that gave them so much critical acclaim and praise. Anyway.  [/gumborant]

Really impressed with how they grew from Sunbather to this record.  Not saying it's better, or even that I like it more, just that you really can tell they have grown, and as a fan, I appreciate that they are moving forward and are not clinging to the record that gave them so much critical acclaim and praise. 

I totally agree

on DFHVN's FB:

GOOD NEWS:

For those who pre-ordered the deluxe version of New Bermuda, we have received them and they are currently en route to you. We have been just as frustrated with the set backs and unfortunately, they were happening at a level that was simply out of our or Anti's control. We appreciate your patience!

We're very excited to share this with you. It is easily the most thorough packaging we've ever done. The gatefold, double LP has a very physical, three-level embossed cover with a high gloss finish that comes with a detachable obi strip of the name and title, which are printed in "oil slick" foil lettering. The interior is matte black with the lyrics and additional information printed in gloss.

It was a long wait, but one we hope was very worth it. We hope you enjoy and thank you again for your support.