PO: Everclear - Sparkle And Fade and So Much For The Afterglow

I own an original press of Afterglow but need Sparkle & Fade. I reckon I can pay a bit more than the reissue price and find an original US press. Would like to hear some comments on the SQ of the reissue but nobody seems to have bought a copy yet. Maybe the price will be slashed if they are not moving....or is that wishful thinking?

Yeah... I was and still am a fan of World of Noise, Sparkle and Fade and So Much For The Afterglow.  They lost me after that, the Songs from an American Movie parts 1 and 2 were both mostly forgetable for me.

So I guess no one has gotten one of these yet.  I said screw it and pulled the trigger on Sparkle last night from Acoustic Sounds with the coupon code 12percent to make it almost an even $40 shipped.  The description of both the pressing and this seemingly new label Intervention are both way intriguing.  It still bothers me a little that these are so expensive, but if I receive it and it's top notch quality, it'll be worth every penny to me.  If it sounds like crap, I'm going to be pissed.  lol

Yeah... I was and still am a fan of World of Noise, Sparkle and Fade and So Much For The Afterglow. They lost me after that, the Songs from an American Movie parts 1 and 2 were both mostly forgetable for me.

So I guess no one has gotten one of these yet. I said screw it and pulled the trigger on Sparkle last night from Acoustic Sounds with the coupon code 12percent to make it almost an even $40 shipped. The description of both the pressing and this seemingly new label Intervention are both way intriguing. It still bothers me a little that these are so expensive, but if I receive it and it's top notch quality, it'll be worth every penny to me. If it sounds like crap, I'm going to be pissed. lol

curious to hear what you think. Am hesitant as other 90s bands have had RPs of their albums at this price without even so much as an insert **cough3EBcough**. I'm with you though, up through Afterglow is gold imo.

I own an original press of Afterglow but need Sparkle & Fade. I reckon I can pay a bit more than the reissue price and find an original US press. Would like to hear some comments on the SQ of the reissue but nobody seems to have bought a copy yet. Maybe the price will be slashed if they are not moving....or is that wishful thinking?

I will post a review when my copy shows up.

curious to hear what you think. Am hesitant as other 90s bands have had RPs of their albums at this price without even so much as an insert **cough3EBcough**. I'm with you though, up through Afterglow is gold imo.

What makes me the most nervous is the label in charge of this.  It looks to me like they've only reissued (including these Everclear albums) like 5 or 6 albums.  I don't know enough about the people in charge of it and the pressing plant it was done at (RTI in Camarillo CA).  Everything I read points at this being a solid product, but I'll believe it when I hear it.  :)

Ok, for anyone hesitant to pull the trigger on Sparkle and Fade, I can tell you this reissue is certainly worth the $41 and change I paid for it shipped, that's for sure.

1.  This is my first purchase from Acoustic Sounds and they ship fast and they ship well.  Came in a mailer similar to the tanks SSD uses.  I'll definitely buy from them again.

2.  The jacket is nice heavy stock with a glossy finish and the artwork is sharp and clear.

3.  The record reminds me of the Mad Season Above reissue in that it's definitely 180g (maybe more) and the edges are nice and smooth.  And it's flat as a pancake, no warp at all.  Dead quiet floor.  Sound quality, I give it 8/10 by my standards.

10296700_10201442236933337_4197552737595

Ok, for anyone hesitant to pull the trigger on Sparkle and Fade, I can tell you this reissue is certainly worth the $41 and change I paid for it shipped, that's for sure.

1. This is my first purchase from Acoustic Sounds and they ship fast and they ship well. Came in a mailer similar to the tanks SSD uses. I'll definitely buy from them again.

2. The jacket is nice heavy stock with a glossy finish and the artwork is sharp and clear.

3. The record reminds me of the Mad Season Above reissue in that it's definitely 180g (maybe more) and the edges are nice and smooth. And it's flat as a pancake, no warp at all. Dead quiet floor. Sound quality, I give it 8/10 by my standards.

Seconded for Afterglow. These are top notch reissues.

for Sparkle and Fade had to break down and go with soundstage direct (and their 12% off deal) and get shipped to my US address to pick up later came to just over $36...  22 bucks was the cheapest to ship to Germany. 

The price is STILL OUTRAGEOUS overseas.  91.28 at amazon de!!!!!! Marketplace a huge deal at 79.99!! 

Hhv has it at 54.99, but that doesnt even reach their free shipping threshold and its not even available to ship for another month.  I've been watching this since it was announced and expecting the price to drop to at least halfway reasonable levels... really odd....  I am willing to bet in six months to a year I can get one of those hhv copies at a radically reduced price!

I guess I get the comparisons to other 90's one hit wonders and radio rock, and except for a few songs on So Much For The Afterglow, I am mostly indifferent to Everclear, but Sparkle and Fade is a really really great mid-nineties rock album. One of my favorites all time albums, even if Everclear doesn't rank as a band I particularly enjoy.  I wouldn't write the album off based on their radio hits and because of the 'era' they came from...

I did listen to their newest, Black is the New Black, and though I don't love it, its definitely a return to their paced catchy sound all the way through. I liked it alright, but Sparkle and Fade is where it's at with these guys.

Spun both reissues tonight and they sounded fantastic.  If you are a fan of these records, you will will not be disappointed with picking them up.  The packaging and sound quality is top notch.

Also, Intervention Records put this up on the Steve Hoffman forums last Friday:

"US retail is $35 and you should never pay a penny more. Some distributors are gaming the system by buying at retail and marking up. I recommend that you buy from my online resellers for the very best packing and service and of course the actual retail price! But I do sell on Amazon myself for the convenience of customers who wish to shop there, fulfilled by Amazon and Prime eligible. However, they don't allow 3rd party sellers to offer pre-orders. So there is a delay in posting. however, Amazon has the two Everclears and Ferguslie and in the process of checking them in. They should be fulfillable within a few days."

Looks like the resellers they are working with are Acoustic Sounds, Elusive Disc, MusicDirect and SoundstageDirect.

Spun both reissues tonight and they sounded fantastic.  If you are a fan of these records, you will will not be disappointed with picking them up.  The packaging and sound quality is top notch.

Also, Intervention Records put this up on the Steve Hoffman forums last Friday:

"US retail is $35 and you should never pay a penny more. Some distributors are gaming the system by buying at retail and marking up. I recommend that you buy from my online resellers for the very best packing and service and of course the actual retail price! But I do sell on Amazon myself for the convenience of customers who wish to shop there, fulfilled by Amazon and Prime eligible. However, they don't allow 3rd party sellers to offer pre-orders. So there is a delay in posting. however, Amazon has the two Everclears and Ferguslie and in the process of checking them in. They should be fulfillable within a few days."

Looks like the resellers they are working with are Acoustic Sounds, Elusive Disc, MusicDirect and SoundstageDirect.

really glad to hear that it wasn't the label setting a super high price point on these!!!  I mean, $35 is kind of outrageous if it wasn't the new norm in a lot of cases... but the way it was looking at the beginning on these was pretty unbelievable!!  Glad they posted that!

fuck that. $35usd for these albums is ridiculous. 

someone explain to me how some brand new releases are $17 (180g, and with dl card) but these reissues are $35.

i call shenanigans.

some of it may be because people are willing to pay it... but for this in particular I am thinking higher production costs, you can read what they have said about the re-mastering of it, which may also include studio time, and the high quality style cover and packaging from whatever place they talked about in their hype, then there is the fact they must have had to license this from the (probably major) label that has the rights to it, then may have to pay a percentage to them on top of that.  While I find the price stupid on so many records these days, including this... There *may* be a little bit of justification this time.  I had the same f'them feelings as well, but found the post they made at the Hoffman forum a little encouraging...

and to the obligatory rant:

but to the bigger point, it is f'ed up how some of the smaller and indie spirited labels can put out stuff at half the cost of some of these majors which supposedly have the clout to negotiate better prices.... and I can guarantee all the boutique labels are pricing their releases as high as they can, not to cover costs, but because people are pissing all over themselves to get the most exclusive limited variant available.   

• 3 years later...