New Market Place : Buy/Sell/Swap everything related to Music

No no what is interesting with discogs are the variants (label-year-country...)

What is confusing is that the same record (with the same variants) can go from $5 to $50. Plus I've seen some duplicates of records (with the same criteria) and again the prices were really different.

To me too much information simply kills the information. Because people are forced to put informations but still free to create as many variants as wanted, sometimes it's not accurate (specially with French records, it can be a pain in the butt to find online the copy I have in front of me)

And this huge amount of informations that people are asked to put is mostly for Discogs to be on top of the search page (when you look on google directly) thanks to the SEO.

But hey it's still the leader so it's still pretty da*n good.

The record going for different prices has to do with the condition it's in. Otherwise, if every copy is, say, M/M condition, and they ranged from $5-$50, you'd buy the one that's the cheapest. It's not really rocket science.

The record going for different prices has to do with the condition it's in. Otherwise, if every copy is, say, M/M condition, and they ranged from $5-$50, you'd buy the one that's the cheapest. It's not really rocket science.

So let's say my record is VG but I say it VG+ (so it's in the VG+ section ) and I know that you guys are looking for the cheapest one so I under price it ? I'm might sell it but what happen to the seller trying to know how much is copy is worth and take my under price into account to price his/her copy ?

Other thing the lack of pictures on Discogs is really striking me. All the records in sellin have at least 6 pictures in the ad.

So let's say my record is VG but I say it VG+ (so it's in the VG+ section ) and I know that you guys are looking for the cheapest one so I under price it ? I'm might sell it but what happen to the seller trying to know how much is copy is worth and take my under price into account to price his/her copy ?

Other thing the lack of pictures on Discogs is really striking me. All the records in sellin have at least 6 pictures in the ad.

If you under-price it (which means people now have to compete against you) then that means people will do one of two things: 1. Start listing things somewhat lower in an effort to grab the buyer's attention, or 2. The under-priced item will sell and the other sellers do nothing, and with nothing else under-priced left to compete with, they leave their original asking prices.

If you under-price it (which means people now have to compete against you) then that means people will do one of two things: 1. Start listing things somewhat lower in an effort to grab the buyer's attention, or 2. The under-priced item will sell and the other sellers do nothing, and with nothing else under-priced left to compete with, they leave their original asking prices.

So don't you think that considering Discogs as the only source to price records leads us to underprice records ?

So what you're telling me is that it's exactly the same as discogs with the added ability to sell DVDs, as in movies?

Actually, what he's telling you is it's exactly the same as discogs, because Discogs lets you sell all of those as well as DVDs.

Here's an example of a DVD for one of my favorite live performances, with 2 for sale. http://www.discogs.com/Ben-Folds-and-WASO-Live-In-Perth/release/666429

Actually, what he's telling you is it's exactly the same as discogs, because Discogs lets you sell all of those as well as DVDs.

Here's an example of a DVD for one of my favorite live performances, with 2 for sale. http://www.discogs.com/Ben-Folds-and-WASO-Live-In-Perth/release/666429

I'm aware of this. Does Discogs let you buy/sell/swap turntables - belt - stylus - headphones - speakers - iPods - guitars ... ?

So don't you think that considering Discogs as the only source to price records leads us to underprice records ?

I think that the statistics they have are valid to go off of for the value of records. And remember: If it's not available in stores anymore, the value is decided by the sellers. You can sell records for less than what they usually go for, but if everyone started to do that, then the resale market value would go down as a whole. I don't see how using Discogs as a source would lead us to 'under-price' at all, really.

It's worth what someone will pay for it! So your under priced one at the time it sells is the true market value at that time and anyone researching the sold items will see that price.

I don't no, it's a simple market force and as I said above it's worth what someone else will pay for it and finding most records market value is pretty easy, you might not agree with the valuation you find but it's still going to be market value. I use Discogs sold items, Discogs for sale prices, ebay sold items search and a little common sense but another source of information is always useful

I do agree though that Discogs database can be quite limited for non UK or US releases so I would put more effort into adding your other pressings into the Discogs database, yes it helps Discogs but it also helps record collectors, buyers and sellers.

I can see a market for your page within mainland Europe but not possibly in the UK or the US as these markets do seem to be very well catered for already and you seem to by trying to fill a hole that only really appears in mainland Europe which is why I think you are not getting the love here.

I think that the statistics they have are valid to go off of for the value of records. And remember: If it's not available in stores anymore, the value is decided by the sellers. You can sell records for less than what they usually go for, but if everyone started to do that, then the resale market value would go down as a whole. I don't see how using Discogs as a source would lead us to 'under-price' at all, really.

Well it's easily doable actually the same record will most of the time (if not always)?be cheaper on Discogs than Amazon,eBay,cdandlp,musicstack,cdiscount,priceminister and so on. I used to price my records on different sites but I had to stop and refer to Discogs because they were always cheaper on this website.

But I mean there is nothing new that's the freedom of competition and the lack of restriction for setting up prices. One of the biggest battlefield of retailers.