What's an opening band you didn't know much about when you saw them but now glad that you saw them?

also can't quite understate how blown away I was by The Legendary Shack Shakers opening for The Black Keys....I mean, dude was wearing a 1930's style swimming outfit with antique aviator goggled that he quickly removed, drop kicked a tray full of assorted meats that he got from back stage which sent splintered plastic everywhere as well as assorted meats....there was a bald gentlemen front row beside me and the dude slapped a half pound of cold cut ham on his bald head, continuously blew snot rockets everywhere, and at one point where it was just an instrumental section he dropped the mic an jumped on a monitor reached in his pants and start ripping out hands full of pubes and throwing them everywhere. I have never in my life seen a wilder opening band.

Fuck. I could not stop laughing.

I saw Big Ups open for METZ tonight and really enjoyed them.  I picked up a cassette.  I don't usually try to avoid openers unless I just flatout  dislike them, but I'm rarely in a rush to get to a show early to check out a band I haven't heard either (especially on week nights).

Missed this show in Edmonton on Saturday because I was in Calgary (which they played Friday).  Both bands kick ass.  How was it?

i saw kevin devine open for brand new in 2004

spitalfield open for thursday in 2004

miniature tigers open for kevin devine in 2008

dead confederate open for kevin devine in 2008

as tall as lions for minus the bear in 2009

surfer blood open for the pains of being pure at heart in 2010

fang island for flaming lips in 2010

the sea and cake for broken social scene in 2010

honorary mention to we are scientists... for years, i was only familiar with the handful of their songs that were forced upon me through working at pac sun; so i hated them.

years later, i drunkenly stumbled into a cmj set, and loved every minute of it. about 5 or 6 songs in, i recognized what i was hearing, and it was a total mindfuck. i turned an instant 180, and have regularly/casually listened to all 3 of their albums ever since.

Genders was a good opener for Built To Spill.  They did a Mazzy Star cover that made me get a music boner.

Stone Jack Jones was a really good preface to O'Death.  Really ethereal and haunting.  Ended up picking up his record after the show.

Qui was interesting for an opener of Moistboyz.  A little less hardcore than I expected to match the raw rockin' that Moistboyz provided.

Brothers Comatose matched perfectly with the vibes that The Devil Makes Three were laying down.  I ended up seeing them alone the next time they swung through my town and got their record.  Spun it a ton of times since then.

There's been a few local acts that had excellent openers, but I can't recall all of their names.

Was really stoked on My Chemical Romance after seeing them open for Thursday around 2002. Didn't really dig anything after their first album though.

Saosin was awesome in '03 opening for My Chemical Romance and Taking Back Sunday. (TBS was the headliner).

Modern Life is War blew me away in '04 or '05 opening for Terror. Quickly became my favorite hardcore band from those years.

Verse was amazing opening for Bane in '05.

Fucked Up in '06 was cool opening for Dillinger Four.

I'm sure there are more I am forgetting... I almost always watch the openers even if I've never heard of them.

I saw Muse on their first U.S. tour opening for RHCP back in 2000.

I was at the Dayton show and didn't even realize MUSE was at there until years later. Went to Columbus the following night too but left before the show when we found out Foo Fighters cancelled. Met Chris Shifflet and Nate Mendel there though so that's a plus.

I saw Man Man open for Modest Mouse back in 2007. Had heard of them but wasn't real familiar with them. I had the pleasure of seeing them at Pitchfork Festival not long after. Now they're one of my favorite bands.

Really weird but I was at that same show at The Murat.

Can't remember who I saw the Builders and the Butchers open for, but they blew me away and I've loved them ever since.

Seville openin up for Dashboard Confessional...was rad seeing Mike Marsh and whomever the bass player was (who later played bass for John Ralston) go from what they did with Seville to playing with Carraba an hour or so later, so good

I still love the two Seville ep's. The bass player was in one of the bands that opened the last Hey Mercedes reunion show (2008 or 2009 maybe?)

In the same vein, seeing Brand New open for Dashboard on that same tour in 2003 was great.

Can't remember who I saw the Builders and the Butchers open for, but they blew me away and I've loved them ever since.

The Builders and the Butchers are excellent.  I haven't managed to see them live, but I came across the song Bottom of the Lake and instantly bought their self-titled.

My boyfriend wanted to see Miniature Tigers last year and I had no idea who the openers were before I went but Total Slacker came out first and blew my mind. Some of their material is kind of dumb (90's nostalgia stuff mostly) but they can put on a damn show. I walked out with everything of theirs I could buy.

I'd never heard of builders and butchers but checked them out based on this comment. They're really good! Thanks!

I saw Big Ups open for METZ tonight and really enjoyed them. I picked up a cassette. I don't usually try to avoid openers unless I just flatout dislike them, but I'm rarely in a rush to get to a show early to check out a band I haven't heard either (especially on week nights).

Best band, they've done some killer house shows. Check out Flagland and Washer too, they've all done splits together