Most Popular Record Player: Technics SL-1200MK2 (according to Lifehacker)

I went from a Marantz 6100 to a Rega RP1.

I want your Marantz. Would prefer a 6300 but 61 will do. That way it would match my Marantz 2275 amp. 

pretty dumb poll if you ask me. Obviously there are many votes for Rega RP1 and the Pro-Ject because they are well-received and widely popular beginner/intermediate turntables that are not too expensive and you can still enjoy your records. In general asking for "the best turntable" is quite hopeless anyway.

Oh well.. I am still using my parents' old Dual turntable from the 70's and it's okay for my needs.

That said, I do love my Dual 1229 tt.

Best usb turntable on the market, but for the same money there are better options. Still better than my old numark

Music Hall makes a USB table? Why would they do that? The mmf 2.2 is a nice looking table, well it looks just like a pro-ject debut.

I wish I had gotten a 1200 when they were still in production. The used market on them is insane.

It's all relative to what you have heard. 

If the best you have heard is a technics 1200/1210 then that is the best you have heard. however at that price range a second Rega Planar 3 properly set up with a decent cartridge (DV10x5) will blow the Technics out of the water. stick the RB300 arm on a technics 1200 and it improves it (the sound) two fold as the Technics arm is pretty basic and functional for heavy DJ usage.

I have a friend of mine who for years has sworn by the Technics and always singing it's praises (he's an ex DJ). He came round one evening for a beer and I played him a Brian Eno LP on my Linn LP12 (Ittok arm, Dynavector DV20, Lingo 2 PSU, Heed quasar phono stage) - I had to scrape his jaw off the floor. next day he pings me an email asking for advice on buying an LP12 as he could no longer listen to his Technics deck knowing how good vinyl can really sound.

Definitely not trying to split hairs, just seems like that's a turntable you'd go to from something you'd find at Target opposed to the other way around.

I was being more than a little tongue in cheek but also many a true word said in jest and all that

It's all relative to what you have heard. 

If the best you have heard is a technics 1200/1210 then that is the best you have heard. however at that price range a second Rega Planar 3 properly set up with a decent cartridge (DV10x5) will blow the Technics out of the water. stick the RB300 arm on a technics 1200 and it improves it (the sound) two fold as the Technics arm is pretty basic and functional for heavy DJ usage.

I have a friend of mine who for years has sworn by the Technics and always singing it's praises (he's an ex DJ). He came round one evening for a beer and I played him a Brian Eno LP on my Linn LP12 (Ittok arm, Dynavector DV20, Lingo 2 PSU, Heed quasar phono stage) - I had to scrape his jaw off the floor. next day he pings me an email asking for advice on buying an LP12 as he could no longer listen to his Technics deck knowing how good vinyl can really sound.

And this is why.

I too used to be a DJ and have had and worked with loads of 1200 and 1210's even the heavily modded ones but once you've heard just how good vinyl can sound you're hooked and in reality because of the law of diminishing returns with all hifi it doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg to get close, problem is once you're that far in there's no saving you wallet wise and then it's welcome to my world.

For the record my preferred turntable of choice when DJing was the LAD GAJ828, British made with a Jelco arm and showed the Technics decks up for the average sounding turntable that they are. I still have a pair and won't let them go.

When I saw that poll, I thought one of two things was happening:

a) the results are telling us who the clientele is of Lifehacker or

B) the results are telling us who Lifehacker thinks its clientele is

If the poll title was "Best turntable as voted on by neckbeard hipsters who at least had the common sense to not buy a Crosley", then I would say it's a legit poll.

You don't have to break the bank to get a good TT.  Great deals on amazing ones can be had if you are patient.

You don't have to break the bank to get a good TT.  Great deals on amazing ones can be had if you are patient.

This is so very true. I picked up a Technics SL 3200 around 8 years back or so from a guy on Craigslist for $45. Cleaned it up, put an Ortofon cart on it and gave it a full set up and it's been a honey since. Also had a friend change the original RCA male outs to females allowing me to move the TT further away from the receiver. Even though it's not a top of the line table, it sounds amazing and is solid as a rock.

A dude I follow on IG was contemplating buying one of these used without a cartridge for close to $500. That's crazy.

Verging on white coat and straight jacket territory and definitely deserving of the Yorkshire war cry "ow bloody much!"

$500 can buy you a lot of table used. Just because it's got a Technics badge the seller and potential buyer obviously think that's it's value but like a lot of the Japanese names Panasonic make from the very bottom to a long way up the ooh I want one of them tree.

Education education education people!

I had a Rega and Technics 1200. The Rega was a Planar 3 with a Mayware Formula IV tone arm and a Nagaoka MP-10 cart. Then I got a 1200 from this old man that I knew for $75. I threw an Ortofon Blue on it. This thing was absolutely mint. As much as I loved my Rega, I decided to keep my 1200 for its durability and stability. I've got two young kids and didn't want to keep on fixing the table. Also, the Mayware was a total b***ch to set up. But, in the end it's whatever you like as an individual. Any table setup properly with a good cartridge will sound great!!