VINYL (HBO Show)

Got all caught up watching the premiere episode and although at first I felt being pulled every which way in figuring out who's who in the characters as far as their names go, I overall really enjoyed it. I'm a sucker for anything music-related esp. in specific time periods and scenes. Part of the episode felt documentary-style at least in setting up the fictional story against real-life bands and music and people.

I loved how they couldnt use any led zeppelin songs in the pilot episode...probably too much confusion on who to pay.

That's interesting. They were notorious for not letting their music be used for movies or shows for a log time, that changed though when they started being played in car commercials.

• 2 weeks later...

The last couple of episodes have gotten better. It's definitely getting interesting and more entertaining. I am finding it though, difficult to accept the actors whose characters are supposed to be known musicians. Like the Alice Cooper guy...not even close to resembling him enough for me to suspend the disbelief. But that's being nitpicky. Otherwise, enjoying it all so far.

The last couple of episodes have gotten better. It's definitely getting interesting and more entertaining. I am finding it though, difficult to accept the actors whose characters are supposed to be known musicians. Like the Alice Cooper guy...not even close to resembling him enough for me to suspend the disbelief. But that's being nitpicky. Otherwise, enjoying it all so far.

Yeah, When they had someone playing Robert Plant in the first episode I thought it was strange to have actual musicians as characters in a fictional situation.  But apparently it's a running thing with the show.

• 2 weeks later...

Given the show is basically a caricature of that era I'm OK with them sloppily cramming multiple styles of music into the soundtrack.

My biggest gripe with this series, having gotten a few episode deep, is the characters. I have to agree with yanquiuxo's opinion about them. You can't root for a single person on this show because they're all pretty terrible. I can't stand Olivia Wilde's character and it's aggravating that they're spending so much time on her. Seems like they're trying to take a Ray Donovan/Sopranos tone with their relationship and it's just not working because neither Richie or Devon are very complex and pretty one dimensional.

I feel like Breaking Bad and Sons of Anarchy have set a weird precedent where dramatic shows feel like they need to "trick" the viewer into siding with bad people, but outrightly making every character shady instead developing them into that persona seems sorta half-assed.