Karate / Geoff Farina / Secret Stars thread

What is a good Karate album to start with? I started with The Secret Stars back in 2001 or so and love both of those albums. I got Karate's in the fishbowl album but couldnt get into it at all so I stopped there.

honestly it sort of matters.  they change a bit from record to record.  Pockets and Some Boots are a bit more jazzy.

Unsolved it a bit more indie rock (like later Built to Spill.  the Earlier records are a bit harder (like almost Dischord-y stuff)

correct me if you guys think differently.

What is a good Karate album to start with? I started with The Secret Stars back in 2001 or so and love both of those albums. I got Karate's in the fishbowl album but couldnt get into it at all so I stopped there.

Karate's In The Fishbowl album is all cover songs (the Minutemen, Billie Holiday, etc.)—that might explain why you didn't enjoy it!

Oh man, the Operation: Sand 7" was super important to me back in the day. I'd really rather they re-releases Unsolved w/ all the additional random tracks on it though. My copy is still sealed for some reason and now I'll probably never open it because I'm the worst. "Nerve" and "Cherry Coke" are two of the greatest songs ever written.

Geoff used to do a weekly "artist in residence" show at a bar here in Chicago and I was always really bummed that I never made it out. Until I listened to his interview on the Washed Up Emo podcast where he said he mostly played ragtime at those shows and was glad he didn't have to play all those old songs he's embarrassed to have written. Paraphrasing, of course, but that's the feeling I got from him. Too bad- really important music for me.

Oh man, the Operation: Sand 7" was super important to me back in the day. I'd really rather they re-releases Unsolved w/ all the additional random tracks on it though. My copy is still sealed for some reason and now I'll probably never open it because I'm the worst. "Nerve" and "Cherry Coke" are two of the greatest songs ever written.

Geoff used to do a weekly "artist in residence" show at a bar here in Chicago and I was always really bummed that I never made it out. Until I listened to his interview on the Washed Up Emo podcast where he said he mostly played ragtime at those shows and was glad he didn't have to play all those old songs he's embarrassed to have written. Paraphrasing, of course, but that's the feeling I got from him. Too bad- really important music for me.

cherry coke.  one of my favorite early Karate songs .  so good.  

• 3 weeks later...

Walked into a local shop on my lunch break and a copy of Some Boots was on the wall in great condition for a good price.   A little bird nudged me not to leave it behind so now it's mine.  

Turns out it was from the collection of one of the staff guys there.  If he has more and keeps them as well as this album is I may have to stalk him.

Errr...I mean be in his presence as much as possible so when he decides to sell the rest of his Karate I'm right there.  Totally in a non-stalking manner.  Yeah.

Walked into a local shop on my lunch break and a copy of Some Boots was on the wall in great condition for a good price. A little bird nudged me not to leave it behind so now it's mine.

Turns out it was from the collection of one of the staff guys there. If he has more and keeps them as well as this album is I may have to stalk him.

Errr...I mean be in his presence as much as possible so when he decides to sell the rest of his Karate I'm right there. Totally in a non-stalking manner. Yeah.

Nice find! What did you end up paying?

yes. but Some Boots is 80 on discogs now.  so you really got a deal.

I'm glad I had the good sense to listen to you. 

I'm confused, so you got Pockets or Some Boots?

I'm sorry.  I was referring to my earlier posts in here.  I've been on the hunt for Pockets.  Both albums are/were on my want list, though.

Woah. I had no idea anything but Unsolved was worth money by these guys. Crazy.

I worked for Flameshovel Records for a while back in 2004. They were distributed by Southern and there were lots of copies of all the Southern  releases there, including Karate's stuff. I remember thinking, "I love these records but these will never sell through." I am bad at predictions I guess.

I worked for Flameshovel Records for a while back in 2004. They were distributed by Southern and there were lots of copies of all the Southern  releases there, including Karate's stuff. I remember thinking, "I love these records but these will never sell through." I am bad at predictions I guess.

ha.

should have taken a few.  you know, just in case.