Karate / Geoff Farina / Secret Stars thread

1 hour ago, MyEnemy said:

Where the fuck did the red and blue come from?? Yikes.

I’ll still buy it 🤦‍♀️

As someone who generally enjoys splatters and dislikes split color...why would you buy that ugly-ass splatter over the tri split that matches the cover? Can't imagine there will be any difference in sound quality and the tri looks sooooo much better!

1 hour ago, MachoHommeRandallSauvage said:

As someone who generally enjoys splatters and dislikes split color...why would you buy that ugly-ass splatter over the tri split that matches the cover? Can't imagine there will be any difference in sound quality and the tri looks sooooo much better!

Who said I didn’t already have the tri variant?

8 minutes ago, Bronchitis said:

I have a tri-color version of Stratosphere that “matches” the cover and my god it is hideous. Thought I’d keep the collection going but I think that was the end of the line for me. 

What do you hate about it in particular?  I passed on that one but it looks like it can fetch $100 pretty easily on Discogs, if you're truly not attached to it.

3 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

What do you hate about it in particular?  I passed on that one but it looks like it can fetch $100 pretty easily on Discogs, if you're truly not attached to it.

Didn’t mean to derail the thread here. The shades of the green/yellow/gray combo is just really off looking to me. I am getting ready to sell a bit of records I don’t need and might have to throw that up there if I feel like it when I start listing things. I had no idea it is worth anything beyond retail. 

4 minutes ago, Bronchitis said:

Didn’t mean to derail the thread here. The shades of the green/yellow/gray combo is just really off looking to me. I am getting ready to sell a bit of records I don’t need and might have to throw that up there if I feel like it when I start listing things. I had no idea it is worth anything beyond retail. 

No sweat.  I think if the discussions at least stay under a Numero umbrella, we’re probably all in good company.  Sounds like it’ll be a while before we see another Karate reissue anyway, per that Discogs sleuthing done a few weeks back.

And yeah, that’s a pretty reasonable take.  The pics of the vinyl itself on Discogs not exactly scream attractive color combo but whatever.  If you’ve got an OG press or even the boxset, I’d probably sell it and not think twice.  $100 can get you a lot of ugly Karate splatter variants.

1 hour ago, Derek™ said:

No sweat.  I think if the discussions at least stay under a Numero umbrella, we’re probably all in good company.  Sounds like it’ll be a while before we see another Karate reissue anyway, per that Discogs sleuthing done a few weeks back.

And yeah, that’s a pretty reasonable take.  The pics of the vinyl itself on Discogs not exactly scream attractive color combo but whatever.  If you’ve got an OG press or even the boxset, I’d probably sell it and not think twice.  $100 can get you a lot of ugly Karate splatter variants.

Yeah, I bought the originals from Up a long time ago before they folded and the box set whenever it came out a couple years ago. Really not worth owning multiples of stuff at this point in my life. The originals are pretty sentimental to me so I’ll hang on to them. 

Anyway, Karate. Carry on.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Pre-orders up at Numero for the Time Expired boxset.  It includes Unsolved, Some Boots, Cancel/Sing, Pockets, and a Corduroy 7".  Black, White, and Numero exclusive Cacophony colored. Option to include Corduroy 7".  No single albums available yet. 

Time Expired Boxset

Edited by Sanspants

Awesome.  I can’t believe I’m going to say this, but I think I may prefer the white over that splatter.  That Cacophony variant looks great for Some Boots and sort of works for Unsolved, whereas white looks clean as hell on all 4.  Decisions, decisions.

Too lazy to make threads for everything else, but Numero also released Dassau this morning – the early recording of Codeine’s White Birch that was scrapped and forgotten for all these years.

Duster’s Capsule Losing Contact box got a vinyl repress too, on a swampy green splatter and also a “diamond clear”, I think it was.

And Unwound’s Live Leaves on color vinyl for the first time.  (Last pressed in 2012.)

Pretty spendy day for anyone who likes good music.

15 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Awesome.  I can’t believe I’m going to say this, but I think I may prefer the white over that splatter.  That Cacophony variant looks great for Some Boots and sort of works for Unsolved, whereas white looks clean as hell on all 4.  Decisions, decisions.

Too lazy to make threads for everything else, but Numero also released Dassau this morning – the early recording of Codeine’s White Birch that was scrapped and forgotten for all these years.

Duster’s Capsule Losing Contact box got a vinyl repress too, on a swampy green splatter and also a “diamond clear”, I think it was.

And Unwound’s Live Leaves on color vinyl for the first time.  (Last pressed in 2012.)

Pretty spendy day for anyone who likes good music.

Jesus Christ, my wallet.