So this sucks - Ikea shelving question

I mean I know it's shitty, but can you really complain if you're even getting anything? Not sure what standard return policy on bigger(ish, it's Ikea) purchaces are, but 2 years seems kinda long. For the $30-40 these cost, 2 years isn't terrible. No, it isn't great, but I just kind of expect this with Ikea, but maybe I'm the minority.

That being said, if any of my LPs were damaged I'd vow to avenge it's death by taking Ikea's first born.

I'm seemingly in the minority on this one, but I can't believe people pile records on ikea furniture. It's cheap overpriced mdf crap, and not meant to hold any substantial weight, and people max these things out and are surprised when they fall apart. How this stuff comes so highly recommended on vinyl collecting message boards is beyond me.

You should absolutely be weary of getting a kallax, it's not going to be any better. Save your money for something made of real wood, or build something with cheap hardwood, wood glue, and spray paint if you're able. It'll cost less than a third of a kallax, and will last decades. And you'll feel awesome about it.

My Kallax hasn't failed me yet, and it's a pretty popular unit that has a reliable reputation.

I have an expedit that is 7 years old. It has been taken apart, put back together and moved from house to house (and across the country!) 8 times now and currently houses 1200+ records. To boot, I've put a 5x5 expedit horizontally across the top and filled that with my 7"s and 10"s & misc books, long box CDs and cassettes. That thing is as sturdy as can be.

Sure the materials aren't "high quality" but simple physics and proper set up allow it for durability and strength. The only failures are people who use them other than how they are intended or build them sideways.

I mean I know it's shitty, but can you really complain if you're even getting anything? Not sure what standard return policy on bigger(ish, it's Ikea) purchaces are, but 2 years seems kinda long. For the $30-40 these cost, 2 years isn't terrible. No, it isn't great, but I just kind of expect this with Ikea, but maybe I'm the minority.

Would I expect it usually? No, but I've read that Ikea is pretty good about standing behind their products. This was a unit that was put together and never moved and just collapsed - probably from the weight. What really bothers me is 1) that they would have refunded me if it was not a discontinued item and 2) that the item isn't really discontinued but sold a la carte.

Would I expect it usually? No, but I've read that Ikea is pretty good about standing behind their products. This was a unit that was put together and never moved and just collapsed - probably from the weight. What really bothers me is 1) that they would have refunded me if it was not a discontinued item and 2) that the item isn't really discontinued but sold a la carte.

They are quite good about standing behind their products - but the products they can stand by 100% no questions asked are those that have a specific warranty attached to them. The Besta units do not have an "extended" warranty, neither do the Kallax units. They are covered under the standard 45 day return/exchange policy, though. Anything past that and you need an original receipt for IKEA to honour any type of exchange/return. You're lucky that customer service allowed you to use the receipt they found in the system as proof of payment because technically (and written on all their documentation) you'd need the original paper copy. 

If you don't have the original receipt but are within 45 days of the return/exchange window, then as long as the item wasn't misused or assembled incorrectly, they will offer you a full refund or exchange for the same item.

If you don't have the original receipt, it is way past 45 days and the item is discontinued (Besta line had a changeover late last year), then they can technically refuse to give you anything. 

You're actually very lucky that you received any money back at all. 

For more info: http://www.ikea.com/ms/en_US/customer_service/warranty.html

Just curious why they were able to retrieve the receipt from 4 years ago but not 2?  A matter of how you purchased it?  

I had to find the date i purchased it, total amount of the purchase and the last 4 digits of the credit card. That was the credit card bill I found.

:(  :(  :(  :(  :(

I bought something 4 years ago.

I misused it and it fell apart.

Now the company won't give me all my money back!

:angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

Now I'm angry!!!

This $40 item was suppose to last forever no matter what I did to it!!!

Ikea has warranties on many of their items. They tend to stand behind their products - except for when they change the stock number apparently. It's 2 years old and I don't think it was misused unless it wasn't made for records to be held on it?

They have a 45 day warranty, not multi-year warranty.

Be happy they gave you anything....

Well then I am, but that doesn't speak well for their products with shelves collapsing after 2 years.

Whether they are warrantied or not, it seemed like the store's policy was to replace the parts if they were available and if not give a store credit. They only didn't because they changed the stock # so the item was "discontinued"

When it comes to record shelves and defending flippers/corporate spies, Stl. Ben knows his stuff.

It's not made to hold more than the recommended weight.

A full cubby of records exceeds the recommended weight.

If you had re-inforced it to handle the increased weight or not used it to hold heavy stacks of records, it would still be in one piece.  The variable between a broken shelf and a working shelf is using it incorrectly.  Some might last a while being incorrectly used but there is no guarantee that because VC user XYZ uses it for records and it works for him that IKEA will cover any damage or replacements.

I don't think it was over the recommended weight. It wasn't even full, but anyways the customer service number says it's up to the individual stores what they want to do in situations like this so I guess the $40 is a pretty good deal. I definitely won't be getting another Besta though.