PO Now: Alex G - Beach Music

I hope everyone looking for it manages to get a copy. Echoing what others have said in this thread, the record is very very good. Not quite DSU good for me, but very close.

It's like what Trick was to Rules. Slightly weirder and much colder in atmosphere. Kicker, Thorns, Bright Boy and Bug are easily some of his best tunes to date.

Really bummed about his lack of a Boston date for his upcoming tour. I was hoping he'd come back to Cuisine En Locale.

I hope everyone looking for it manages to get a copy. Echoing what others have said in this thread, the record is very very good. Not quite DSU good for me, but very close.

It's like what Trick was to Rules. Slightly weirder and much colder in atmosphere. Kicker, Thorns, Bright Boy and Bug are easily some of his best tunes to date.

Really bummed about his lack of a Boston date for his upcoming tour. I was hoping he'd come back to Cuisine En Locale.

I'm kinda more on the opposite, I think Trick was more "poppy" in a sense than Rules but both are still fantastic albums

I'm kinda more on the opposite, I think Trick was more "poppy" in a sense than Rules but both are still fantastic albums

Yeah, this. Until now RULES has been his coldest album (also my favorite) and TRICK has had a much more upbeat/poppy/ warmer sound. Then there's DSU which was a mix of both warm/cool songs. Now we have Beach Music which I feel is in a way the true successor to RULES; chilling, airy, floaty

Yeah, this. Until now RULES has been his coldest album (also my favorite) and TRICK has had a much more upbeat/poppy/ warmer sound. Then there's DSU which was a mix of both warm/cool songs. Now we have Beach Music which I feel is in a way the true successor to RULES; chilling, airy, floaty

I'm not sure I get that cold vibe you're describing from RULES. Maybe from the melodies, but the arrangements are all pretty acoustic and warm - stuff like New, Mis, Come Back, Fighting, Wicked Boy... nothing "cold" or distant about those tracks to me. Maybe stuff like Water and Know Now I could definitely see it, but his melodies were very warm and inviting on that record. Not nearly as poppy as TRICK, but a little more... cozy and exposed, in a way.

Beach Music is way further in that chilling direction. The electric guitars and glitchy effects throughout give it a nice, open feeling.

Are you serious? I guess we have different perceptions of atmospheric temperature. Know Now is one of the only warm tracks on RULES imo. Mis, Fighting and Wicked Boy specifically are so grainy and chilled to me. Very introverted and isolated. Meanwhile Know Now on the other hand has a glowing extroverted quality.

• 3 weeks later...