Secret Santa 2015. Update: Dec 16 .... Please Read.

Fuck, I had a whole post typed out and it disappeared because I'm stupid with compooters.

Well, here goes an attempt at capturing what I spent the last 30 minutes writing:

First off, THANK YOU SECRET SANTA.  This was a heavy package filled with so many goodies that I definitely wasn't expecting at all.

When I first opened the box:

0ZJEeo8.jpg

Yeah, that's right.  That's Simpsons Legos, a million (I'm bad at counting) kickass pins and stickers, some badass patches, and a motherfucking Kid Rock koozie.

Underneath all of this glorious loot:

QlE4xXJ.jpg

After randomly discovering Wounded Giant a few years back, I was happy when they started blowing up (especially through STB) and was ecstatic when they did this amazing split with Goya.  These two powerhouse doom bands have taken the scene by storm - for good reason - and haven't let me down.  This edition is the Orange Halloween Edition limited to only 77 copies (of which I got the even numbered 55)!

Underneath this was:

URTBayn.jpg

Black Moth Super Rainbow / The Octopus Project ‎– The House of Apples & Eyeballs

Record club version limited to 333 (I got 148!) hand numbered copies on white with blue haze.  The mixture of vocoder-laced sunshine electro-pop and dizzying post-rock melodies of the two groups is a collaboration made in experimental heaven.  I've spun this several times already, it's that good!

And after this one:

J07wAY3.jpg

YEYEY ‎– The Vision

This dreamy, electro-post-rock album took me by surprise.  It began as a very 80s electropop album that gently unfolded into a beautifully drifting composition that was reminiscent of Kishi Bashi.  I will definitely have to give this more spins!

Next up:

VIyt7oH.jpg

Eagle Twin ‎– The Feather Tipped The Serpent's Scale

This doomy masterpiece transcends just normal doom metal.  I had heard of the group before, but never gave them an adequate listen until this was on my turntable.  And holy fuck my walls shook from beginning to end!  My secret santa isn't lying - these guys are FUCKING HEAVY.

And finally:

nBsPJDb.jpg

Graveyard – Lights Out

Pressed on black/bone vinyl.  I had no idea what to expect with this one.  From the cover and description, I was thinking it'd be something like doomy/sludge or even black metal.  But what I was faced with once that needle hit the record was some goddamn groovy 70s-tinged hard rock from Sweden (which holds a very special place in my heart).  This album may quickly become one of my favorites of the whole package, just for the shock I experienced during my first listenthrough.

In total, SECRET SANTA YOU FUCKING ROCK!  You've made this lonely Christmas a whole lot more merry and have given me plenty of new music to pore over during these next coming weeks.  Again, thank you!

Okay, since I've already opened mine, I figured I'd go ahead and post a photo of it!

tumblr_nxxp2eTZHJ1u06bh7o1_1280.jpg

Here's what all I got:

Beach House - Depression Cherry (Loser Edition, clear vinyl in velvet sleeve)

Funko POP TV Leela figurine

a really rad 50th anniversary Looney Tunes cup from 1990

some awesome stickers!

a note with some info about the selection and some clues as to their identity.

I absolutely love everything that I got, and honestly, the amount of thought that went into each part of the box made each thing better to me. Kudos on the Leela figure, I very recently started collecting vinyl figures to display on my bookshelf AND she's actually my fav Futurama character, so that's a win-win. And yes, I did mean that I collect drinking glasses and mugs from the 80s and 90s, so you were spot-on, haha. Also! I'd been meaning to pick that Beach House album up, so that was a very pleasant surprise!

Also, based on the clues in the note, (from Michigan, same age, hangs out in a lot of the pop punk/ska threads, etc.), I'm almost positive that the person responsible for this lovely package was SmikeX13!

Did I win?

You won! Sorry to keep you waiting but I wanted to keep secret until the holidays! I'm glad you like everything! I wasn't sure about the pop vinyl, so I'm really happy you just started collecting them!

**also I got my package and opened it, I'll make a post as soon as I get a picture uploaded.

you killed it, Secret Santa.

-American Nightmare Reunion Show in Boston Shirt

- MTHR "Howl" 7"

- Citizen Dick - Tocuh me I'm Dick 7"

- Willie Nelson book

- OFF! "Live at The BBC" 10"

- TACO BELL GIFT CARD

- Lush "Ciao! The Best Of" 2LP

- STAR WARS SOCKS

- DEAFHEAVEN BACKPATCH

and the fact that everything was wrapped up individually?! oh man.

Juan (JHulud), you're the best my dude. muchas gracias, hermano. Te amo como no tienes idea.

10636570_10154451041704167_6029705899904

Fuck, I had a whole post typed out and it disappeared because I'm stupid with compooters.

Well, here goes an attempt at capturing what I spent the last 30 minutes writing:

First off, THANK YOU SECRET SANTA.  This was a heavy package filled with so many goodies that I definitely wasn't expecting at all.

When I first opened the box:

Yeah, that's right.  That's Simpsons Legos, a million (I'm bad at counting) kickass pins and stickers, some badass patches, and a motherfucking Kid Rock koozie.

Underneath all of this glorious loot:

After randomly discovering Wounded Giant a few years back, I was happy when they started blowing up (especially through STB) and was ecstatic when they did this amazing split with Goya.  These two powerhouse doom bands have taken the scene by storm - for good reason - and haven't let me down.  This edition is the Orange Halloween Edition limited to only 77 copies (of which I got the even numbered 55)!

Underneath this was:

Black Moth Super Rainbow / The Octopus Project ‎– The House of Apples & Eyeballs

Record club version limited to 333 (I got 148!) hand numbered copies on white with blue haze.  The mixture of vocoder-laced sunshine electro-pop and dizzying post-rock melodies of the two groups is a collaboration made in experimental heaven.  I've spun this several times already, it's that good!

And after this one:

YEYEY ‎– The Vision

This dreamy, electro-post-rock album took me by surprise.  It began as a very 80s electropop album that gently unfolded into a beautifully drifting composition that was reminiscent of Kishi Bashi.  I will definitely have to give this more spins!

Next up:

Eagle Twin ‎– The Feather Tipped The Serpent's Scale

This doomy masterpiece transcends just normal doom metal.  I had heard of the group before, but never gave them an adequate listen until this was on my turntable.  And holy fuck my walls shook from beginning to end!  My secret santa isn't lying - these guys are FUCKING HEAVY.

And finally:

Graveyard – Lights Out

Pressed on black/bone vinyl.  I had no idea what to expect with this one.  From the cover and description, I was thinking it'd be something like doomy/sludge or even black metal.  But what I was faced with once that needle hit the record was some goddamn groovy 70s-tinged hard rock from Sweden (which holds a very special place in my heart).  This album may quickly become one of my favorites of the whole package, just for the shock I experienced during my first listenthrough.

In total, SECRET SANTA YOU FUCKING ROCK!  You've made this lonely Christmas a whole lot more merry and have given me plenty of new music to pore over during these next coming weeks.  Again, thank you!

Yay! Glad you liked it all. :) I'll have to get a mixtape made for you too.

Yay! Glad you liked it all. :) I'll have to get a mixtape made for you too.

I've had quite a few records in my backlog for the last two months, but I made sure to prioritize these!  I wasn't disappointed!  I especially was surprised by Graveyard.  Knowing they were form Sweden and your recommendation mentioned "metal" I was expecting something along the lines of Bathory - but this was some groovy blues rock that transported me straight to the 70s!

Alrighty then. Here I go. Finally posting my pics!

Completely blown away and surprised by the awesome contents of the gift. 

DSCN5665.jpg

- "The Coming Storms" art print by Tim Doyle

- Power Trip - Manifest Decimation LP

- Merchandise - After The End LP

- Jewels of Gwahlur Vol. II CD

- Pop Rocks

- Mike & Ike candy cane

- "The Plural of Vinyl is Vinyl" fridge magnet

- Koozie

- Baking with my Homies cookie stamps (too funny and awesome!)

- "Maybe You Touched Your Genitals" hand sanitizer  :lol:

- Decline of Western Civilization Collection DVD set

Completely knocked out of the park with a few things new to me and some that I've been wanting to check out and get. Not to mention plenty of funny and hilarity with some. Awesome. Awesome. Awesome. 

Immense gratitude to Mike D. controlthebleeding for the thoughtfulness and detail gone into this. (I hope I'm correct in that it is Mike as the USPS label stamp is also from Austin, TX as his home address.) 

:)

okay! let's do this!

23940093642_75bfbc669a_z.jpg

first, a lovely note! full of fun facts, great clues about my SS's identity, thoughts and inspiration for including certain items, and other happy things. really a nice way to start things off and i really appreciated them sitting down and taking the time to type this all out :)

23752569870_610f20e6c1_z.jpg

some really cool posters/prints from local shows in the durham area. especially loving that mates of state one!

23680435089_9366623d46_z.jpg

some really cool non-record items! so much great stuff here. i actually don't have a single record store t-shirt in my collection, so pretty excited about that one. i have some friends down in the raleigh/durham area and have heard great things about this shop. i'll be sure to add it into my regular sleep shirts rotation.

a very metal-tastic air freshener!

loose tooth - easy easy east cassette. checked out a couple songs on their bandcamp and digging it. looking forward to giving it a more in depth listen later. 

birdsong brewing co. - jalapeño pale ale. i'm always stoked to try fun new beers from other parts of the country, so definitely excited about trying this charlotte beer. i gotta admit, the name had me a bit nervous (i had a REALLY bad experience with some jalapeño tequila a few years ago. i'm also pretty sure there's no such thing as a "good" experience involving jalapeño tequila...). looked it up quick online and has stellar reviews and apparently isn't nearly as hot as the name would have you believe, so pretty excited about trying it. i'll have to pop it open while watching the panthers game on sunday :D (perhaps it can even help ease the pain of their recent loss, which i'm still pretty sad about)

AND this super awesome HOMEMADE wall-mounted bottle opener with 7" record bowl cap-catcher!!!! whoa! this thing is super cool. i always try to include something handmade with my SS gifts because i like making stuff and enjoy a good project, so i love that my SS went the same route. plus, this thing is just cool as hell. and i love that it was inspired by drinking beers and spinning vinyl at local beer shop. 

23680453169_5151f48ff2_z.jpg

books! 

tales of a punk rock nothing by abram shalom himelstein and jamie schweser

no more prisons! by william upski wimsatt

eccentric soul: omnibus: vol. 1

i knew nothing about any of these, but flipped through and looked 'em up and they all seem pretty awesome. the omnibus vol 1 book apparently was part of a 45 x 45rpm box set and is full of liner notes and information about all the bands and music included. even without the records, seems like an interesting little look into some soul history (which i admit to knowing nothing about). i could see myself spending a lazy afternoon flipping through it and streaming the accompanying songs on spotify. 

will have to throw the other two in my subway commute queue. both seem like solid reads and had great amazon reviews. i love music books of all varieties, so especially excited about "tales of a punk rock nothing". i also really dig the indie/diy element to that one. 

23940155382_e86f32dd95_z.jpg

7's!

don johnson - heartbeat

abba - take a chance on me b/w i'm a marionette

new kids on the block - hangin' tough b/w didn't i (blow your mind) (!!!)

NYSYNC - bye bye bye (!!!!!)

yesssss! i love random old 45s of cheesy 70s, 80s, and 90s hits (especially of the boy band/heartthrob persuasion haha). i have a decent handful i've picked up cheap here and there and these are definitely a welcome addition. one of my big goals is to one day have a jukebox full of awesome old sing-along jams. the fact that you actually have one means you're kind of my hero haha. also, funny enough, you're actually the second person i know in the durham area that has a jukebox. 

fake problems - strange emotions. fake problems. love them. very happy to have this. enough said haha. 

23680477959_bf6601237f_z.jpg

12"s!!!!!

red collar - welcome home. (180g black)

jkutchma & the five fifths - pastoral. (yellow)

^^some local durham tunes. i think my other durham friends have mentioned red collar to me before, but never checked them out. you know how much i love a good acoustic or alt country side project and i love that you included both the "main punk band" as well as the solo stuff. really looking forward to listening to both and seeing both sides of jason's work. plus, always love checking out some local music!  

posture & the grizzly - busch hymns. (red? salmon?)

^^i know literally nothing about this. but you clearly put a lot of thought into everything you included, so i'm sure it's something that's right up my alley and i can't wait to give it a listen.  also. really dig the cover art and center labels. totally not an important thing, but since i'm an art/design nerd, i notice these things and i love old pop art/comic book type design work, so that was a nice touch. 

the casket lottery - real fear. (180g black)

^^another band that i've really just never put the time into listening to despite hearing so much about them, especially on vc. definitely going to give them a proper listen now. 

whew! that was a LOT of stuff! sorry for the delay in posting this, but i wanted to take the time to sit down and really look through everything and not just run off a quick list of everything that was included. you clearly put a lot of time and thought into this AMAZING assortment of things and i wanted to be sure i could sit down and put the proper time and thought into posting it all because such a wonderful secret santa gift really deserves that. 

THANK YOU SO MUCH! this was such an incredible secret santa package. and since my xmas was kinda sad and boring otherwise, it really did make my holiday 1000x better. from your note, i could tell you really had a thought out reasoning for everything you included and hand picked (and even hand made!) it special for me. i really can't wait to go through and listen to all this great new music and read through my new books and wear my new shirt and drink some beers in my new shirt :) 

soooooo lives in durham with his wife and daughter, has a jukebox, teaches, loves beers, and is super awesome...my SS must be.....AJHALL!!!!

thanks so much, dude! you rock! and if you're ever up in brooklyn visiting your brother, hit me up because i for sure owe you a beer :) 

(also too funny. i've been to both bagelsmiths in brooklyn. and the next time i happen to be in one i'm totally gonna be wondering if one of the dudes working there is your bro hahaha)

i looooove tim doyle. have a few of his prints up around my apartment as well. and that one is certainly a beauty and very "juan" haha

also, i think you clearly need to try out those cookie cutters and mail me some since i'm your homie and all ;):D

Alrighty then. Here I go. Finally posting my pics!

Completely blown away and surprised by the awesome contents of the gift.

DSCN5665.jpg

- Power Trip - Manifest Decimation LP

- Merchandise - After The End LP

- Jewels of Gwahlur Vol. II CD

- Pop Rocks

- Mike & Ike candy cane

- "The Plural of Vinyl is Vinyl" fridge magnet

- Koozie

- Baking with my Homies cookie stamps (too funny and awesome!)

- "Maybe You Touched Your Genitals" hand sanitizer :lol:

- Decline of Western Civilization Collection DVD set

Completely knocked out of the park with a few things new to me and some that I've been wanting to check out and get. Not to mention plenty of funny and hilarity with some. Awesome. Awesome. Awesome.

Immense gratitude to Mike D. controlthebleeding for the thoughtfulness and detail gone into this. (I hope I'm correct in that it is Mike as the USPS label stamp is also from Austin, TX as his home address.)

:)

Glad u enjoyed your gift. I wanted to give u at least one band from Texas. The other lp I just bought and loved and figured ud enjoy as well so I bought another. The graven rite is classic metal style... and since you're old figured you'd enjoy it. And well, when I saw the print, I knew it was you.

My SS gift arrived yesterday.

Inside was:

- Texas is the Reason 7"

- Japandroids LP

- Chocolate bar

- R Kelly t shirt

Not sure who it is from as the note gave no clues as to who sent it but thank you to whoever was my secret santa.

id61s8.jpg

okay! let's do this!

23940093642_75bfbc669a_z.jpg

first, a lovely note! full of fun facts, great clues about my SS's identity, thoughts and inspiration for including certain items, and other happy things. really a nice way to start things off and i really appreciated them sitting down and taking the time to type this all out :)

23752569870_610f20e6c1_z.jpg

some really cool posters/prints from local shows in the durham area. especially loving that mates of state one!

23680435089_9366623d46_z.jpg

some really cool non-record items! so much great stuff here. i actually don't have a single record store t-shirt in my collection, so pretty excited about that one. i have some friends down in the raleigh/durham area and have heard great things about this shop. i'll be sure to add it into my regular sleep shirts rotation.

a very metal-tastic air freshener!

loose tooth - easy easy east cassette. checked out a couple songs on their bandcamp and digging it. looking forward to giving it a more in depth listen later.

birdsong brewing co. - jalapeño pale ale. i'm always stoked to try fun new beers from other parts of the country, so definitely excited about trying this charlotte beer. i gotta admit, the name had me a bit nervous (i had a REALLY bad experience with some jalapeño tequila a few years ago. i'm also pretty sure there's no such thing as a "good" experience involving jalapeño tequila...). looked it up quick online and has stellar reviews and apparently isn't nearly as hot as the name would have you believe, so pretty excited about trying it. i'll have to pop it open while watching the panthers game on sunday :D (perhaps it can even help ease the pain of their recent loss, which i'm still pretty sad about)

AND this super awesome HOMEMADE wall-mounted bottle opener with 7" record bowl cap-catcher!!!! whoa! this thing is super cool. i always try to include something handmade with my SS gifts because i like making stuff and enjoy a good project, so i love that my SS went the same route. plus, this thing is just cool as hell. and i love that it was inspired by drinking beers and spinning vinyl at local beer shop.

23680453169_5151f48ff2_z.jpg

books!

tales of a punk rock nothing by abram shalom himelstein and jamie schweser

no more prisons! by william upski wimsatt

eccentric soul: omnibus: vol. 1

i knew nothing about any of these, but flipped through and looked 'em up and they all seem pretty awesome. the omnibus vol 1 book apparently was part of a 45 x 45rpm box set and is full of liner notes and information about all the bands and music included. even without the records, seems like an interesting little look into some soul history (which i admit to knowing nothing about). i could see myself spending a lazy afternoon flipping through it and streaming the accompanying songs on spotify.

will have to throw the other two in my subway commute queue. both seem like solid reads and had great amazon reviews. i love music books of all varieties, so especially excited about "tales of a punk rock nothing". i also really dig the indie/diy element to that one.

23940155382_e86f32dd95_z.jpg

7's!

don johnson - heartbeat

abba - take a chance on me b/w i'm a marionette

new kids on the block - hangin' tough b/w didn't i (blow your mind) (!!!)

NYSYNC - bye bye bye (!!!!!)

yesssss! i love random old 45s of cheesy 70s, 80s, and 90s hits (especially of the boy band/heartthrob persuasion haha). i have a decent handful i've picked up cheap here and there and these are definitely a welcome addition. one of my big goals is to one day have a jukebox full of awesome old sing-along jams. the fact that you actually have one means you're kind of my hero haha. also, funny enough, you're actually the second person i know in the durham area that has a jukebox.

fake problems - strange emotions. fake problems. love them. very happy to have this. enough said haha.

23680477959_bf6601237f_z.jpg

12"s!!!!!

red collar - welcome home. (180g black)

jkutchma & the five fifths - pastoral. (yellow)

^^some local durham tunes. i think my other durham friends have mentioned red collar to me before, but never checked them out. you know how much i love a good acoustic or alt country side project and i love that you included both the "main punk band" as well as the solo stuff. really looking forward to listening to both and seeing both sides of jason's work. plus, always love checking out some local music!

posture & the grizzly - busch hymns. (red? salmon?)

^^i know literally nothing about this. but you clearly put a lot of thought into everything you included, so i'm sure it's something that's right up my alley and i can't wait to give it a listen. also. really dig the cover art and center labels. totally not an important thing, but since i'm an art/design nerd, i notice these things and i love old pop art/comic book type design work, so that was a nice touch.

the casket lottery - real fear. (180g black)

^^another band that i've really just never put the time into listening to despite hearing so much about them, especially on vc. definitely going to give them a proper listen now.

whew! that was a LOT of stuff! sorry for the delay in posting this, but i wanted to take the time to sit down and really look through everything and not just run off a quick list of everything that was included. you clearly put a lot of time and thought into this AMAZING assortment of things and i wanted to be sure i could sit down and put the proper time and thought into posting it all because such a wonderful secret santa gift really deserves that.

THANK YOU SO MUCH! this was such an incredible secret santa package. and since my xmas was kinda sad and boring otherwise, it really did make my holiday 1000x better. from your note, i could tell you really had a thought out reasoning for everything you included and hand picked (and even hand made!) it special for me. i really can't wait to go through and listen to all this great new music and read through my new books and wear my new shirt and drink some beers in my new shirt :)

soooooo lives in durham with his wife and daughter, has a jukebox, teaches, loves beers, and is super awesome...my SS must be.....AJHALL!!!!

thanks so much, dude! you rock! and if you're ever up in brooklyn visiting your brother, hit me up because i for sure owe you a beer :)

(also too funny. i've been to both bagelsmiths in brooklyn. and the next time i happen to be in one i'm totally gonna be wondering if one of the dudes working there is your bro hahaha)

You are so welcome! Had a blast putting it together. Hope you enjoy everything! For the record, that beer is delicious, no worries!

My brother works at the one near The Charleston. Not super familiar with Brooklyn but I can't forget the 5 dollar regular special they have for a beer, shot, and personal pan pizza. Awesome place.

Here is my Secret Santa package: 

e0cc75e2-e9cf-4355-88e6-4b11904e5072_zps

I received Coldplay's "Prospekt's March EP"

---and the---

Bioshock (videogame) Score - "I Am Rapture, Rapture Is Me"

Also included was a Mix CD with plenty of great tracks. 

***I am very happy with what was received, but I hope the misinterpretation of me stated in their letter didn't stifle any holiday spirit. 

--My Secret Santa was DOMAN127

You are so welcome! Had a blast putting it together. Hope you enjoy everything! For the record, that beer is delicious, no worries!

My brother works at the one near The Charleston. Not super familiar with Brooklyn but I can't forget the 5 dollar regular special they have for a beer, shot, and personal pan pizza. Awesome place.

ooooh yeah. i've been to that one a couple times. been to the other one a bit more due to dating someone who lived over there a few years ago. both are fairly close to where i live.

haha the charleston! oh man. i've definitely had a few rowdy drunken nights there and a couple ridiculous stories about that place. 

yes! it was me :D

aw i’m so glad you like it all! you were so much fun to have for SS this year! i knew a bunch of the music would be new to you, but given our similar tastes, i’m like 95% sure you’ll really dig all of it. you’ll have to let me know what you think once you’ve had a chance to listen to it all! 

those lego minifigs are seriously so amazing and so addictive. the whole last series was all monsters and i keep telling myself i’m not going to buy them all, but…they’re just so awesome, i find it hard to resist. haha. i have whole bunch of them living on top of my record shelves along with some other toys and knickknacks. i think rocker frankenstein might just be my favorite though :)

i love love love alex pardee and have so much of his stuff up around my apartment. i think i was actually the most excited about buying you some prints haha. i have a bunch of awesome creepy artists i love and have bought a bunch of prints from. i actually had a hard time deciding, but those alex pardee prints were just 1000% you. i’m so glad you love them as much as i hoped you would! 

oh! and not sure you saw my (super sneaky ha!) note yesterday…but i realized as i was leaving for work that i had totally neglected to include something that was hiding in another box with some other stuff i had ordered. so, one more thing should be arriving tomorrow or thursday! :D

and that pic of regan with her zombie and record toys :wub: glad she’s enjoying her gifts too :)

i’m so glad you liked the wrapping paper too. i actually handmade that as well haha

Hi! I'm finally getting back to normal after being away for the holiday so I'm catching up on this thread now. I did get the final package!:

R6dF7YE.jpg?1

vLGgT6I.jpg?1

LsK6L3I.jpg?1

The wrapping on this one was similar to what I used this year. Great minds think alike!

Too Much. I haven't listened yet but already I love the packaging!

Again, you went above and beyond and I'm so grateful. Thank you so much and I hope you had a great holiday and will have an awesome New Year!