PO: Baroness - Purple

I think this band has pretty much lost me. I suppose its better than yellow and green but not by much and to me that record was mediocre at best. I also don't like the production on this. Everything up to blue was awesome. Oh well. On the plus side, I think the cover art is the best baizley has ever done.

Out of interest, has anyone checked out the FLAC files in comparison to the MP3s? I'm not too clued up on the subject, but I'm assuming the higher quality may allow for some bigger dynamics and so less clipping etc?

In all honesty I'm not too fussed about the mix. It's not the best but certainly could be worse. My only minor gripe is that drum tone; even on the quieter/clean parts it sounds like it's being run through a bad tube amp and distorted (even when everything else isn't clipping). I can live with it though, as I'd imagine this is the tone they were intentionally going for.

obviously plenty of people like Dave Fridmann's signature style - usually guarantees it to be almost unlistenable to me if his name's involved. I liked a lot of Y&G so I've been hopeful on this release (even left room for it in a box I made to house all my Baroness albums). I'm skeptical now but will prob pick it up at some point...

Kind of curious about this Baroness box. Can you post a pic?

I think this band has pretty much lost me. I suppose its better than yellow and green but not by much and to me that record was mediocre at best. I also don't like the production on this. Everything up to blue was awesome. Oh well. On the plus side, I think the cover art is the best baizley has ever done.

OK thanks for your update. 

A city by the light divided is the absolute worst recording I have ever heard in my life. It ruined what would have ultimately been a really great record. Made it unlistenable

^ So much this.

Out of interest, has anyone checked out the FLAC files in comparison to the MP3s? I'm not too clued up on the subject, but I'm assuming the higher quality may allow for some bigger dynamics and so less clipping etc?

In all honesty I'm not too fussed about the mix. It's not the best but certainly could be worse. My only minor gripe is that drum tone; even on the quieter/clean parts it sounds like it's being run through a bad tube amp and distorted (even when everything else isn't clipping). I can live with it though, as I'd imagine this is the tone they were intentionally going for.

I haven't listened to a FLAC copy.  Did pledgemusic make that available? I bought my record at a local shop and the download was only MP3. The drum clipping really annoys me.  The rest of the recording isn't nearly as bad as that.

I really like this album. It keeps getting better and better with each listen.  I wish the production had been better, but its not terrible enough to keep me from listening (cough*ACBTLD*cough).

I love the production on City, fits the vibe of that record perfectly. The messy production works so well and I'm pretty sure that's what they were going for

Best Thursday record, followed by No Devolucion

It's exactly what they were going for. Had a lengthy conversation with Geoff about this exact point many years ago.

Fridmann uses the Distressor like it's an instrument on its own. I love what he does with some records (Phantom Planet self-titled, very underrated), but I was really worried about this one. All in all, it could have been much worse. He compressed the hell out of it as expected, but apart from the always unnaturally audible snare drum sound (sounds like a trigger?) and some strange "cut straight to silence" protools edits, it's pretty tame for him.

Sucks when you pre-order a record in August and don't get it on release day though. Still waiting for mine so I can compare to the digital master.

I guess my opinion differs from the populous here, though I've only listened to the digital version so far.  I think the production on this is killer; the drums (mostly the toms) are some of the most vibrant toms I've heard outside of a Rush album, guitar tones are killer and the vocals are spot on without either of the vocalists bleeding the other out.  I went back and re-listened to Blue and the production was garbage- vocals way too loud in the mix, poor control over guitar tones, drums lopsided between stereo channels.  These guys need a big production record due to how technical their songwriting has become. 

I thought drums sounded a bit darker/heavier Niel Pert-esque as well actually....

Nobody seems to care about the small Floyd nod though....maybe I picked up on it immediately because of how much I don't care for Pink Floyd?

Actually pointed out the Floyd thing to my girl last night while we were listening to this.

I don't mind it, cuz I like Pink Floyd. 

Can't believe how quickly Bull Moose got this to me btw. 

Also, the art and packaging is incredible. 

In a perfect world every vinyl master should be a completely separate master...

Additionally....it's way too easy for somebody who doesn't 100% know what they're doing to do a subpar rip....especially if they're using an ION, LP60, or any other low-end deck...or if their stylus is a little too old, or they don't properly clean the record or stylus first, or use subpar A/D conversions...ect