Newbie setup, no idea what i'm doing, help

Newbie who has no idea what they're doing. I have a U-Turn Audio Orbit w/ a Grado Black1 cartridge, my receiver is a Sony TA-AX520, equalizer is a Sony SEQ-120, and my speakers are a pair of slightly worn out DBX Soundfield left and right speakers I got for free from a friend. I'm gonna buy new speakers soon as the left one is a worn out and sounds like an old radio, but I wasn't sure if I should try finding the same speakers as opposed to some of the ones recommended on the beginner's thread. I was thinking about the Dayton Audio B652 because I'm cheap (for now), but I'm not really sure how to tell if a speaker is good or not, or how to really compare them with just specifications, or how to tell if a receiver is even good, or if anything is good, and information about these DBX speakers are kinda scarce it seems. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Your receiver should be fine, so long as it has a phono input. It's not a high end model or anything, but it will work for what it seems you need. You don't need the equalizer, it'll just add unneeded compression and such to your music. Some people like them, and some don't, but it's really up to you though.

weight, always look for weight in an amplifier or speakers and especially deceptively so for the size. And as has already been said don't bother with the EQ, sell it and put the money toward some speakers and the receiver is perfectly adequate but you can always upgrade later as the turntable will work with better.

Your receiver should be fine, so long as it has a phono input. It's not a high end model or anything, but it will work for what it seems you need. You don't need the equalizer, it'll just add unneeded compression and such to your music. Some people like them, and some don't, but it's really up to you though.

So the way my setup works (since I got the EQ and the receiver from the same guy), the receiver only works if the equalizer is powered on but I can switch off the EQ from being activated or not. Does this still compress the sound? Would it be better to disconnect the EQ and get rid of it/sell it? I was told it's mostly for correcting speakers.

Definitely these on a budget.  And that's about as good of a price as you will see on them.  

So the way my setup works (since I got the EQ and the receiver from the same guy), the receiver only works if the equalizer is powered on but I can switch off the EQ from being activated or not. Does this still compress the sound? Would it be better to disconnect the EQ and get rid of it/sell it? I was told it's mostly for correcting speakers.

That seems odd. You should be able to use it fine without the EQ. I'd say get rid of it, but that is just me. You might like the sound.