PO: Against Me! - New Wave LP (2015 Reissue - Charity)

This is Against Me!'s worst album, so I would never feel it necessary to own a copy, however I will make a donation for the total price I would have paid for the record+shipping to the Trans Life Line as it's a worthwhile cause.

White Crosses would like a word with you.

White Crosses is waaaaay better than New Wave, c'mon son.

Backed, hard.

To me, New Wave sounded like a horribly produced punk album, while White Crosses was a fully intentionally done radio rock album.

Neither sniff Reinventing or Eternal Cowboy in terms of energy or emotion.

Why do people fail to mention the songs on New Wave are superbly written? If you don't like quality, excellent-sounding production, that's a matter of choice, but there's a reason why New Wave is as heralded an album from AM! that there is...the songs...

White Crosses isn't too far off in progression, so why people really would drastically like one and not the other befuddles me...

I appreciate Asbestos for getting this back in to the world again! Thanks Flood!

I agree with the sentiment that this and crosses are both horrible albums. I actually started with crime after seeing a basement show, so I was in before a lot of you. I'd actually say start with Crime then RAR then As the Eternal Cowboy.

I totally agree, though. I haven't heard music like theirs when I first got my Hands on Crime. I got to see them in a weird little art house in Uptown MPLS in 2002 and it was everything I thought it'd be from listening to the music. I love, love, love everything RAR and prior. Nothing else like it in my eyes. I still am an adament follower, but they really have two separate realms in my mind.

I love all their albums. Some more than others of course, but this album is great! I bought the original press not long after it was released and am really glad I didn't wait on it. As for this repress I went ahead and bought the red since it's such a limited pressing with a great cause. 

Oh, but I had to order it with an XL shirt... I wear large; so if anyone's up for a trade, I'm your guy!

Why do people fail to mention the songs on New Wave are superbly written? If you don't like quality, excellent-sounding production, that's a matter of choice, but there's a reason why New Wave is as heralded an album from AM! that there is...the songs...

White Crosses isn't too far off in progression, so why people really would drastically like one and not the other befuddles me...

I appreciate Asbestos for getting this back in to the world again! Thanks Flood!

Honestly, I don't think White Crosses is much better.  When New Wave came out it just felt awful. I think for people who started with Reinventing (or earlier) it was really just so castrated (no pun intended).  It felt boring, safe, lacking any of the fire that previous material had brought.

White Crosses felt like one of those "well it isn't going to be worse than New Wave" situations with my expectations.  I still spin White Crosses from time to time, however I very rarely put on New Wave.  For what it's worth, the b-sides would have been my favorite songs on the album.

If I may ask (and It doesn't matter to me, just curious) which was your first Against Me! album?

Honestly, I don't think White Crosses is much better.  When New Wave came out it just felt awful. I think for people who started with Reinventing (or earlier) it was really just so castrated (no pun intended).  It felt boring, safe, lacking any of the fire that previous material had brought.

White Crosses felt like one of those "well it isn't going to be worse than New Wave" situations with my expectations.  I still spin White Crosses from time to time, however I very rarely put on New Wave.  For what it's worth, the b-sides would have been my favorite songs on the album.

If I may ask (and It doesn't matter to me, just curious) which was your first Against Me! album?

Crime and RAR. Saw AM! open for NoFX back in the day and bought those albums with no hesitation. 

White Crosses was a band completely letting go of the past, focusing on their strengths and in a genuine and honest way, giving being the greatest rock band in the world a legitimate shot. In some ways it paid off, in lots of ways it clearly didn't, but when you compare White Crosses to the other huge, overproduced, glossy arena rock being released around the same time, it's a way better record. Like it's not at all what I'm into, but as if it's not way more listenable than Kings Of Leon or whatever the fuck.

New Wave doesn't really even register as a record in my mind and I cannot imagine a human person actually putting it on and listening to it and thinking "yep, this is alright!". It's one of the worst examples in music history of when a punk band get big and then marketing managers get involved and try to help them maintain their gritty punk edge, but dilute it down so there's more chance the masses will be accepting of it.

Honestly, I don't think White Crosses is much better. When New Wave came out it just felt awful. I think for people who started with Reinventing (or earlier) it was really just so castrated (no pun intended). It felt boring, safe, lacking any of the fire that previous material had brought.

White Crosses felt like one of those "well it isn't going to be worse than New Wave" situations with my expectations. I still spin White Crosses from time to time, however I very rarely put on New Wave. For what it's worth, the b-sides would have been my favorite songs on the album.

I lived in Gainesville before AM! moved to town and I saw them many times as their popularity exploded locally....however, I'm not much a fan of their earlier records...Searching is when the band caught me and while the sound changed with New Wave, I actually think the record could be their best from a songwriting standpoint...you like what you like...

It's one of the worst examples in music history of when a punk band get big and then marketing managers get involved and try to help them maintain their gritty punk edge, but dilute it down so there's more chance the masses will be accepting of it.

what about Dear You by Jawbreaker? Love that album but complaining fan base calling them sell outs and other shit pretty much broke them up.

I love New Wave. Like mertzrock, I got introduced on Searching for a Former Clarity and am not the biggest fan of their earlier stuff.