PO: Against Me! - New Wave LP (2015 Reissue - Charity)

Honestly, I don't think White Crosses is much better.  When New Wave came out it just felt awful. I think for people who started with Reinventing (or earlier) it was really just so castrated (no pun intended).  It felt boring, safe, lacking any of the fire that previous material had brought.

White Crosses felt like one of those "well it isn't going to be worse than New Wave" situations with my expectations.  I still spin White Crosses from time to time, however I very rarely put on New Wave.  For what it's worth, the b-sides would have been my favorite songs on the album.

If I may ask (and It doesn't matter to me, just curious) which was your first Against Me! album?

This right here. I was so disappointed. 

what about Dear You by Jawbreaker? Love that album but complaining fan base calling them sell outs and other shit pretty much broke them up.

I love New Wave. Like mertzrock, I got introduced on Searching for a Former Clarity and am not the biggest fan of their earlier stuff.

Jet Black is one of the best songs ever written. People who don't like Dear You are chumps:

agreed! That album is insanely good. Never got the hate

I love it, but to longtime fans it was too glossy and poppy. It's just a different climate nowadays you wouldn't alienate a fan base doing that these days, but the term sellout isn't even really a thing anymore. That album aged insanely well, but maybe the world wasn't ready?

what about Dear You by Jawbreaker? Love that album but complaining fan base calling them sell outs and other shit pretty much broke them up.

Retrospectively, I think Dear You was a pretty earnest attempt at a major label debut, like they weren't trying to make a punk record that appealed to the masses and instead just completely shifted into alternative rock territory. Obviously at the time people were put off by the completely different vocal style and slicker production, and it's fair enough that they expressed their dislike through letters to the editor or whatever.

I think the general consensus on that record changed when Jawbreaker really got a huge second wind and were picked up by a new lot of people who had grown up on glossy sounding mallpunk, and to them obviously there was nothing wrong with "emo" or "punk" music sounding that slick as it was a typical done thing by that point. Though even in a lot of those cases, Dear You was was what got them hooked and as they work their way through the discography, they end up way preferring the earlier records anyway.

Man, I bought Dear You the day it was released, and I hated it. I can't remember hating something more on first listen--and I adored pretty much all of Jawbreaker's previous output. Now, 20 years later (just shy by a week, it came out on Sept. 12, 1995), I absolutely love it. It's not their best musically, but the songwriting and the lyrics are so strong. It took me about 10 years to give Dear You a fair chance.

Man, I bought Dear You the day it was released, and I hated it. I can't remember hating something more on first listen--and I adored pretty much all of Jawbreaker's previous output. Now, 20 years later (just shy by a week, it came out on Sept. 12, 1995), I absolutely love it. It's not their best musically, but the songwriting and the lyrics are so strong. It took me about 10 years to give Dear You a fair chance.

Something about actually caring about an artist and listening to what they have to write/sing. May appear to be filtered through some machine, but at the end of the day, it's still them putting themselves into it. Jawbreaker and AM! Seem to be pretty apparent representations of that. I have yet to read a comment about someone saying they have given up or disowned either one of these groups. It's a testament, I believe, to what they can actually do. The people that bitch are still technically fans of them. They're fantastic artists.

Any of you amazon shoppers get this one today? How's the pressing sound/look?

Side note: has anyone ordered from asbestos before? I only got a PayPal receipt with my order, nothing from their website or anything (assuming that's the norm). Should I expect a shipping notification, or will this just show up one day like it's Christmas?

Not complaining, just never ordered here before and didn't know what to expect, a lot of smaller stores do things differently.