PO: Against Me! - New Wave LP (2015 Reissue - Charity)

• 2 weeks later...

i know this will just stir shit in this thread, so apologies in advance, but listening to her on the "turned out a punk" podcast it didn't sound like she was even informed of this repress.  she didn't sound too happy about it. 

PLEASE POST THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This shit needs to be stirred

so it's official bootleg. like one of the lastest "the devil and god are raging inside of me" presses were called

I feel like "official bootleg" describes the opposite scenario, where a band signs off on a release that hasn't been cleared with the actual rights holder. This particular situation is just what they call "the result of signing a contract".

The t-shirts are the weirdest part of this. They are definitely bootlegs.

Asbestos just seems more like one of those labels that looks for gaps in the market and licences/reissues already popular stuff that they know will sell, with or without the bands blessing. I guess it's all legit and above board, just a bit weird they wouldn't seek out Laura's opinions/approval, as within the context of punk rock that would be the nice thing to do. This was a release on a major though, so maybe that doesn't really matter anymore.

Zero sympathy for bands/people who set themselves up for this to happen and then complain about it.

in 2007 this trend of small labels going around bands to license their releases wasn't really a thing yet, and definitely wasn't what one thought about when signing with a label. majors at the time were in fact known for the opposite: it was too expensive and difficult to try licensing from them.  then shit collapsed in music and things changed...

but it's silly to say that anyway cause every band who lets a label pay for their recording is technically setting themselves up for this (and i've seen labels big and small cut out the bands when it comes to repressing records). not all bands can or want to self release their shit. and you can't see the future and how someone you trust might do something shitty. it doesn't mean the band has less right to be upset when someone does said shittiness.

in 2007 this trend of small labels going around bands to license their releases wasn't really a thing yet, and definitely wasn't what one thought about when signing with a label. majors at the time were in fact known for the opposite: it was too expensive and difficult to try licensing from them. then shit collapsed in music and things changed...

but it's silly to say that anyway cause every band who lets a label pay for their recording is technically setting themselves up for this (and i've seen labels big and small cut out the bands when it comes to repressing records). not all bands can or want to self release their shit. and you can't see the future and how someone you trust might do something shitty. it doesn't mean the band has less right to be upset when someone does said shittiness.

On VC these things always ride a thin line between an honest concern for morality and a gross obsession with drama. I'm curious if Laura Jane Grace even approached Asbestos in regards to band copies. I find it extremely hard to believe Flood would tell her to fuck off, especially when this helped support Trans Life, but I digress. This really isn't any of our business.

On VC these things always ride a thin line between an honest concern for morality and a gross obsession with drama. I'm curious if Laura Jane Grace even approached Asbestos in regards to band copies. I find it extremely hard to believe Flood would tell her to fuck off, especially when this helped support Trans Life, but I digress. This really isn't any of our business.

Boom

Band copies are always a given, and they shouldn't really have to ask. Whether you've interviewed a band or reviewed their music in your fanzine, released a compilation with one of their tracks, or reissued one of their albums, you always send through band copies.

What record label do you run again?