Panasonic bringing back Technics turntables

What am I missing? Where is the tonearm? What actually plays the record? Or is this a high priced rotating platter for color variants...

I assume since that is a concept drawing, the final version will have a tonearm. I hope they get rid of that machined metal look, it is so out of place on a turntable.

even with a tonearm/etc it would still be extremely unappealing (to me at least)

Yea it's not winning any awards looks wise to me either. I can see where they are aiming at that look that's more popular now among tables like Rega & Project with the no frills appearance. But this is just ehhh, and I'm sure it's gonna carry a big price tag as well. 

For those that don't know the SP10 came like this with no tonearm for mounting in a desk with the arm mounted separately for broadcast use or there was an optional granite plinth and tonearm mount that the SP10 fitted in for home use. It's a totally different animal to the SL1200 etc and on a completely different level.

All proper broadcast tables were built this way and the SP10 was the last of this sort of table, think Garrard 301 and 401, and as such are pretty rare and very valuable.

If this is trying to cash in on the SP10 legend and ever gets to production it will cost a shed load of money and I expect it's more likely a concept to garner interest after which Technics will re-issue a range of their lower quality turntables that they still have tooling for.