Can i use a headphone amp to bring a record player to line level?

Im wanting to get into vinyl collecting, but like a normal 16 year old i dont got tons of cash. I know the best way to listen to vinyl is with a multi thousand dollar set up. but im wondering if i bought a older turntable can i use a adapter to convert it to 3.5mm and then use a headphone amp to convert it to line level so i can use it with my headphones? I might be able to get my hands on something like a kenwood kd-291rc for about $25 is that fair?

No, you need a phono preamp. There are phono preamps on the market that have headphone outputs, but I think what you're asking is if you can use whatever headphone amp you already own, without spending any more money. And unfortunately, the answer is no.

No, i dont own anything yet. So i would plug in my record player, hook up a phono pre amp and then my headphones. So can i use something like this? http://www.amazon.com/PYLE-PRO-PP444-Compact-Turntable-Preamp/dp/B004HJ1TTQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1441627089&sr=8-1&keywords=phono+pre&pebp=1441627095552&perid=0VCTPZR6EZKHWFSYQM99Its not the best but wouldnt it atleast get me started? I think that is a 3.5mm headphone jack but if its not i can probably just use a adapter to convert the rca to a headphone jack.

It doesn't have a volume control, so unless your headphones have their own, it would be a pretty bad idea. 

The ones im planning on using do, although if i ever get a new one or need to use another headset i can just use something like http://www.amazon.com/Foxnovo%C2%AE1M-Female-Headphone-Extension-Control/dp/B00DYP98LUSo that preamp would make everything work?

If you are poor and young and can't afford to spend $250 on a U-turn Orbit and a $40 pre-amp, I'm assuming that you won't be buying too many new $25-30 records either.  If that's the case and you are mainly spinning old thrift store LPs and dad's 45s from college, just get a really cheap turntable with a built-in headphone adapter.  Enjoy spinning the tunes while you do HW and play X-Box and have friends over and don't worry about whether you would be impressing 30 year olds on VC with your system.  

Then, when Christmas rolls around or when you get your first job next year, get a better entry level table with a better tonearm and needle that won't damage your growing collection.  And you can start slowly buying stuff like better headphones, better pre-amp, better stylus, record cleaner, static gun, etc etc.  There is always the slight chance that in 6-7 months, you'll be over vinyl anyway so start listening ASAP and enjoy yourself while the bug has you.

If you are poor and young and can't afford to spend $250 on a U-turn Orbit and a $40 pre-amp, I'm assuming that you won't be buying too many new $25-30 records either.  If that's the case and you are mainly spinning old thrift store LPs and dad's 45s from college, just get a really cheap turntable with a built-in headphone adapter.  Enjoy spinning the tunes while you do HW and play X-Box and have friends over and don't worry about whether you would be impressing 30 year olds on VC with your system.  

t

Then, when Christmas rolls around or when you get your first job next year, get a better entry level table with a better tonearm and needle that won't damage your growing collection.  And you can start slowly buying stuff like better headphones, better pre-amp, better stylus, record cleaner, static gun, etc etc.  There is always the slight chance that in 6-7 months, you'll be over vinyl anyway so start listening ASAP and enjoy yourself while the bug has you.

So your reccomending on buying something like a audio technica lp 60? I kinda want the old style analog sound. Anyone know if the lp60 is analog or digital? I know that it has a 3.5mm jack built in so, aslong as the headset has a volume button it should be just what i need.

So your reccomending on buying something like a audio technica lp 60? I kinda want the old style analog sound. Anyone know if the lp60 is analog or digital? I know that it has a 3.5mm jack built in so, aslong as the headset has a volume button it should be just what i need.

The AT LP60 hasn't got a 3,5mm jack on it but it is line level out and is analogue, all turntables are analogue although some have USB outputs which in general is a another description of a crap turntable.

What happened to the Technics table and Panasonic receiver you were going to buy? It's not great kit but for $50 it was better than an AT LP60 or similar and only needed the addition of a cheap phono stage for you to use it to listen via headphones with the advantage of being able to add speakers and upgrade from it at a later date whilst still being a better start than something like an AT LP60

Oh, it didn't even occur to me that this was the same guy who posted about that Technics table and Panasonic receiver in the other thread. Dude, seriously. For $50 plus $13 for that Pyle preamp, you're going to have something way better than an $80 LP60, which you would still have to buy more gear to listen to anyway. Why are you asking for advice if you aren't going to listen to people who know what they're talking abou--oh right, you're 16. Nevermind. But seriously, if the deal that lady was offering is still on the table, take it.

Oh, it didn't even occur to me that this was the same guy who posted about that Technics table and Panasonic receiver in the other thread. Dude, seriously. For $50 plus $13 for that Pyle preamp, you're going to have something way better than an $80 LP60, which you would still have to buy more gear to listen to anyway. Why are you asking for advice if you aren't going to listen to people who know what they're talking abou--oh right, you're 16. Nevermind. But seriously, if the deal that lady was offering is still on the table, take it.

She lived like a hour a way and i dont think it was very nice to ask my mom to drive that far so i had to pass.

She lived like a hour a way and i dont think it was very nice to ask my mom to drive that far so i had to pass.

That's too bad. That would have been a decent deal. At any rate, my advice is to be patient, and see if another good deal comes along for some vintage gear. The fact that you're on this site asking questions leads me to believe that you're dedicated to getting something that's at least decent, so I hope you don't settle on that LP60.