Custom wall mount for my AR turntable

Shortly after I bought my AR turntable, I knew that getting it off of the Kallax bookshelf that sits on a bouncy hardwood floor was an absolute must. I didn't like any of the purpose-built options for turntable wall mounts, and I didn't want to go the low budget DIY route, so I asked my dad if he could design a custom wall shelf for me, that included some record storage. This is what he came up with, and I could not be happier. 

IMG_0802.jpgIMG_0806.jpgIMG_0809.jpg

it's actually pretty hard to match stain colors that well. 

If your father ever gets out of the cabinet biz, he could probably have a nice part-time gig selling shelves like this on audiogon or wherever. 

Well, once I saw how well this one turned out, I started talking to him about the viability of creating a little side-business. I'm gauging interest here and on some other forums, and if it seems like it would be worthwhile, he will definitely make more of them to sell.

We just need to work out some build modifications, so that we can offer it as a more user-friendly, Ikea-esque kit. The way the joints in this one are done, it would either have to be shipped pre-built -- which would increase the cost -- or the customer would have to have at least some building skills, as well as access to a set of clamps.

Well, once I saw how well this one turned out, I started talking to him about the viability of creating a little side-business. I'm gauging interest here and on some other forums, and if it seems like it would be worthwhile, he will definitely make more of them to sell.

We just need to work out some build modifications, so that we can offer it as a more user-friendly, Ikea-esque kit. The way the joints in this one are done, it would either have to be shipped pre-built -- which would increase the cost -- or the customer would have to have at least some building skills, as well as access to a set of clamps.

Given the prices people charge for anything audio related, I'm sure the margins are there (I'm sure you noted this when searching for yourself).

Flat packing it would be a big advantage to manufacture. A DIYish kit would be cool even if the buyer had to bust out some pegs/wood glue to assemble.

If I was in the market for such a thing, one improvement I might like to see would be a small (4"-6") shelf for brushes, stylus cleaner, and the like.

Given the prices people charge for anything audio related, I'm sure the margins are there (I'm sure you noted this when searching for yourself).

Flat packing it would be a big advantage to manufacture. A DIYish kit would be cool even if the buyer had to bust out some pegs/wood glue to assemble.

If I was in the market for such a thing, one improvement I might like to see would be a small (4"-6") shelf for brushes, stylus cleaner, and the like.

That was one my main impetuses for asking my dad to make this for me. When I saw what companies were charging for unsightly, cheaply welded metal brackets, I thought there had to be a better option. Surprisingly, there was not. I also knew that in order to convince my wife to let me mount my turntable to our living room wall, it would have to be something that looks really nice. 

I see a way you could make these Ikea-ish. I'm struggling to find the word for them, but I remember having them on a desk years ago. So hopefully my crappy paint picture will make sense. It basically expands when you tighten it with a screwdriver to hold in place. Looking at my picture, the left two images would be before and after tightening. And the two boxes show the "holes" you would need in each piece of wood.

So say you were joining the top platform with one of the sides. On the underside of the top piece of wood, you would have a hollowed out circle that fits the hardware in snug, along with an opening for the end to stick out and meet with the side piece. In the side piece, you'd have a hole drilled to match the end of the piece of hardware. You'd wedge the piece of hardware into the underside of the top piece, stick your side piece in by shoving the nub end of the hardware into the hole, then use a screwdriver to lock them in place.

wBb2mDv.jpg?1

I'm a little surprised Ikea doesn't use them more, they are crazy stable and worked really well. Even easy to un-tighten, take apart and move,then re-assemble and retighten. 

Edit: just realized I still have the desk them. If this was too confusing I can take a picture of it later tonight. 

I see a way you could make these Ikea-ish. I'm struggling to find the word for them, but I remember having them on a desk years ago. So hopefully my crappy paint picture will make sense. It basically expands when you tighten it with a screwdriver to hold in place. Looking at my picture, the left two images would be before and after tightening. And the two boxes show the "holes" you would need in each piece of wood.

So say you were joining the top platform with one of the sides. On the underside of the top piece of wood, you would have a hollowed out circle that fits the hardware in snug, along with an opening for the end to stick out and meet with the side piece. In the side piece, you'd have a hole drilled to match the end of the piece of hardware. You'd wedge the piece of hardware into the underside of the top piece, stick your side piece in by shoving the nub end of the hardware into the hole, then use a screwdriver to lock them in place.

wBb2mDv.jpg?1

I'm a little surprised Ikea doesn't use them more, they are crazy stable and worked really well. Even easy to un-tighten, take apart and move,then re-assemble and retighten. 

Edit: just realized I still have the desk them. If this was too confusing I can take a picture of it later tonight. 

Yeah, I know exactly the type of connection you're talking about. That's one of the options we were discussing. It's probably the most user-friendly way to go, but would also mean that from the inside of the unit, the hardware would be somewhat visible. But that's not a terrible trade-off. The other thing we want to figure out is the best way to mount it to the wall. Mine just has 4 holes drilled into the back panel, and I used four 4" cabinet screws with washers, that I drove straight into the wood studs in my wall. While there's nothing wrong with mounting it that way, it does take a little bit of finessing it to get everything perfectly level. I'd like to come up with something more foolproof.