Hey all,

I was hoping you could help me out with a quick question: I had a record player that was in pretty solid shape, but I got a better, used record player. The only problem was that it didn't have a belt. So what I did was take the belt out of my original player (a Technics SL-BD27) and stick it in the new one (a Panasonic SL-H204) just as a temporary quick-fix. As I was listening to one of my records, I noticed that it was playing at a slower level, making the music play at a lower pitch, kind of as if it was spinning at 31 RPM instead of the normal 33.

Now before I buy a replacement belt, would it be logical to say that the reason for this sound is almost certainly because of the belt? Or is there possibly something wrong with the player? I've contacted some record stores and they said the width of the belt affects the player but they also said it might be because of the motor. I've done some research and found that the belt necessary for each individual player is the same size, but as I said earlier, I did not have the belt for the Panasonic. I was wondering if the width of the belt can really significantly affect the sound of a record. Would purchasing a replacement belt be a wise investment, or should I just go out and buy a new player?

Thanks,

Bobby  :wacko: 

Firstly a new belt is always the best place to start, that way you know everything is right there.

After that it could be any number of things ranging from a speed adjustment issue through it just needing a service all the way to it not being as good as you thought it was or it needing a new stylus or even you not liking the sound it makes.

But start with a new belt and sign up to vinyl engine if you haven't already as the manuals for it may be up there and things like strobe discs and cartridge alignment protractors that you can print out are all up there as well.

I'm no physicist, but I'm not sure how the belt itself could slow down the rpm's between the motor and the platter. The force generated by the motor has to go somewhere – unless the belt is loose and slipping (which I imagine you'd hear), it can't just disperse itself.

Stretched belts, that are not quite loose enough to fall off, can cause slipping and low rpms.

The belt doesn't have to be that loose as the surface can be worn smooth which allows it to slip. Also a belt that's too tight can cause problems as it pulls the motor in and puts load and friction into the main and motor bearings.

New belts should cost very little unless you are buying them from the wrong places so with any belt drive table you don't know the history off a new belt is always a good idea as it's the most likely thing to cause problems on a belt drive turntable.