Netflix / Amazon Prime original series

17 hours ago, KingTacoMunster said:

anyone watch the new "a series of unfortunate events"? We've been watching it with our 7 and 4 year old, everyone loves it.

Yeah, I actually wrote something about it (last comment of page 9). It's absolutely fantastic especially if you read the books.

Does anyone here watch "Between"? Just sat down and watched the entire first season in one sitting (about five and a half to six hours) completely on a whim, absolutely loved it.

• 3 weeks later...

Anybody else watch Santa Clarita Diet? I put it on just to have something playing in the background while working and ended up not getting anything done. Binged the entire season in one sitting. So much funnier than I expected. I don't think I've ever liked Drew Barrymore more than this.

5 hours ago, dnl said:

Anybody else watch Santa Clarita Diet? I put it on just to have something playing in the background while working and ended up not getting anything done. Binged the entire season in one sitting. So much funnier than I expected. I don't think I've ever liked Drew Barrymore more than this.

Oh shit that's our??  I thought it wasn't for at least another week.  Definitely gonna have to get on that.

1 hour ago, FiggyPuddling said:

Oh shit that's our??  I thought it wasn't for at least another week.  Definitely gonna have to get on that.

Its a quick watch and just when you think the joke is about to become stale, they throw in something fresh. The final episode had me cracking up.

29 minutes ago, Shitty Rambo said:

Watched the first episode of that Drew Barrymore show, no thanks.

I hear it gets better but I didn't think the first episode was very good at all.

In general, I'm not a fan of when non-comedic actors think that you have to "act silly" when you are in a comedy.  The scenarios and lines are already so silly and campy; just play it straight and the comedy will be there. I saw 'Split' the same day I watched the first episode and I thought the way James McAvoy performed the sillier moments was perfect. Commit and play it real and behave as that character would if they were a real person. End weird rant.

1 hour ago, richardsurf said:

I hear it gets better but I didn't think the first episode was very good at all.

In general, I'm not a fan of when non-comedic actors think that you have to "act silly" when you are in a comedy.  The scenarios and lines are already so silly and campy; just play it straight and the comedy will be there. I saw 'Split' the same day I watched the first episode and I thought the way James McAvoy performed the sillier moments was perfect. Commit and play it real and behave as that character would if they were a real person. End weird rant.

I loved the over the top silly reactions that Joel and Sheila had to their ridiculous circumstances.   

On the other hand, with Split, I agree that McAvoy was top notch, but I didn't think he was particilarly meant to be "silly" ever. People in the audience certainly giggled though.

Edited by dantheriver

2 hours ago, dantheriver said:

I loved the over the top silly reactions that Joel and Sheila had to their ridiculous circumstances.   

Agreed. Once you realize that this is just trying to be network tv sitcom (albeit, not on a network) and hit some of the network tv sitcom clichés, then I guess you can find an appreciation for it. The show isn't trying to be some "peak era tv" comedy. It builds off its ridiculousness. 

I honestly didn't have any sort of expectations whatsoever for the show so I was pleasantly surprised.

8 minutes ago, dnl said:

Agreed. Once you realize that this is just trying to be network tv sitcom (albeit, not on a network) and hit some of the network tv sitcom clichés, then I guess you can find an appreciation for it. The show isn't trying to be some "peak era tv" comedy. It builds off its ridiculousness. 

I honestly didn't have any sort of expectations whatsoever for the show so I was pleasantly surprised.

Another Netflix show that I think aimed to hit the network sitcom marks and succeeds (IMO) is One Day at a Time. It's cheesy and snappy and saccharine but, as you said, once you remember that those are parts of the format, it ends up becoming a solid version of those kinds of shows.

My wife has been digging that drew barrymore show. I caught one episode while she was watching it and didnt find it overly funny personally.

Have one episode left of Glitch which a few people suggested here. Its a cool concept, some of the acting is kind of campy.  I don't particularly like the lead actor as he has no range of emotion. Hopefully they do a second series as I am curious to where they will go. 

Next up I think will be Happy Valley. 

On 2/9/2017 at 11:43 AM, Twistedshabazz said:

My wife has been digging that drew barrymore show. I caught one episode while she was watching it and didnt find it overly funny personally.

Have one episode left of Glitch which a few people suggested here. Its a cool concept, some of the acting is kind of campy.  I don't particularly like the lead actor as he has no range of emotion. Hopefully they do a second series as I am curious to where they will go. 

Next up I think will be Happy Valley. 

I mean, its an Australian show, and its the first time i've ever seen anything from Australian networks.. so while the acting may be kind of meh, its still a pretty cool show.  The ending of the last episode is a big ol' WTF

HAPPY VALLEY IS FUCKING AWESOME.  seriously.  I think I love UK/British cop/detective shows more than anything else right now.  I'd order them as:

Broadchurch

The Fall

Happy Valley

Hinterland

River

6 hours ago, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

HAPPY VALLEY IS FUCKING AWESOME.  seriously.  I think I love UK/British cop/detective shows more than anything else right now.  I'd order them as:

Broadchurch

The Fall

Happy Valley

Hinterland

River

I've seen all of Broadchurch, a couple episodes of The Fall, and none of Happy Valley or Hinterland.

But River is one of the best shows I've ever seen.  Stellen Skarsgard is absolutely unreal.

• 4 weeks later...