MOONSHAKE RECORDS THREAD.

Satan

Also, little profit? You guys were buying records that cost 99 cents to produce at what? $30?

All other arguments aside, please point me towards a process where I can bootleg vinyl for $0.99 a pop, I have a lot of albums I like that were never released on vinyl that I need to add to my personal collection.

I'm guessing this guy put the blame of his illegal activities ending on these two. If he did that's even more pathetic than whatever they did to shut him down since that was inevitable anyways.

You've got to be naïve to think you're going to run an illegal business and then attach your real identity and run it out of the US where they will find you. It did get him this strange vocal following that's probably the actual root of any problems though. Guess this is karma for price gouging.

Regardless of whether what he did was legal or illegal or wrong or right or whatever, another label going out of their way to badmouth him every chance they got, contacting stores to make sure they pull his records, and posting his home address online and telling people to pay him a visit (unless of course that guy isn't associated with STS) is lame. There are many vinyl bootleggers out there and tons of people selling unlicensed merchandise on Etsy and similar sites, and STS doesn't seem to give a shit about them, they just have a personal vendetta against Moonshake and it comes across as really pathetic how they handled it. Feel free to disagree, I'm sure you will.

So, does anyone here bashing Ship to Shore have any actual proof of them stalking the dude other than leaving a negative star rating on Discogs or not being too happy about him using a track from an album that they spent a long time working to secure the rights to?

I've bought a couple of their releases (the two Mother games, Manos and Martin) and all of them have been pretty nicely put together. They could use a better pressing plant, but that's my only qualm. 

It's not that I disagree that posting home address' is fucked up (it is), but I didn't even know who or what ShipToShore was until I just looked them up right now. So, I know nothing about what they have said in the past.

But, I do think a little anger is warranted considering that there is a guy (SHipToSHore) who actualy bothered to go through the proper channels. And is paying licensing rights to Sony and whoever else to press vinyl copies of Video Game OSTs like Mother legitimately.

You can't deny that it obviously takes a lot more effort to negotiate rights and licenses for art and music and trademarks on the up and up with the actual owners of those rights than it is to trace some art with colored pencils and illegally release the music. I would be salty too if I was struggling to do everything legitimately and some other guy was doing the same thing with little to no actual effort.

All other arguments aside, please point me towards a process where I can bootleg vinyl for $0.99 a pop, I have a lot of albums I like that were never released on vinyl that I need to add to my personal collection.

Fine, white label test pressings are closer to $2 each. I dunno why you're changing the record producing process and acting like I was saying it was possible to just make one for that cheap, stop that I guess.

It's not that I disagree that posting home address' is fucked up (it is), but I didn't even know who or what ShipToShore was until I just looked them up right now. So, I know nothing about what they have said in the past.

But, I do think a little anger is warranted considering that there is a guy (SHipToSHore) who actualy bothered to go through the proper channels. And is paying licensing rights to Sony and whoever else to press vinyl copies of Video Game OSTs like Mother legitimately.

You can't deny that it obviously takes a lot more effort to negotiate rights and licenses for art and music and trademarks on the up and up with the actual owners of those rights than it is to trace some art with colored pencils and illegally release the music. I would be salty too if I was struggling to do everything legitimately and some other guy was doing the same thing with little to no actual effort.

That's all trying to say really. I understand their anger and not liking Moonshake, but even just the number/content of tweets I saw them post about him when I followed them seemed childish to me.

Regardless of whether what he did was legal or illegal or wrong or right or whatever, another label going out of their way to badmouth him every chance they got, contacting stores to make sure they pull his records, and posting his home address online and telling people to pay him a visit (unless of course that guy isn't associated with STS) is lame. There are many vinyl bootleggers out there and tons of people selling unlicensed merchandise on Etsy and similar sites, and STS doesn't seem to give a shit about them, they just have a personal vendetta against Moonshake and it comes across as really pathetic how they handled it. Feel free to disagree, I'm sure you will.

If they did that it's pretty pathetic. I still haven't seen anything and don't really care either way. My original point was just to comment on how mad everyone seemed that it ended, it was never going to last. I don't care that he's profiting, I just think its funny people think he isn't.

I really just hate that cover art and hate this dude for subjecting the world to it.

I really just hate that cover art and hate this dude for subjecting the world to it.

Haha, fair.

To clarify my perspective (and my perspective most of the time I get into any sort of debate), I play devil's advocate and try (try) to remove my own personal opinions.  Personally, assuming that what has been said is true (which is all you can do until more information comes to light, anything else is an assumption based on nothing), I can see both sides.

Moonshake is naive.  ShipToShore are douches.

Moonshake was never going to last long, but I had honestly expected a Cease and Desist to end his little artistic endeavor, not a 'rival' label.

Also, my little jab about the cost of pressing records was sincere (if not without sarcasm), you seriously have to press A LOT of records before the cost gets down that low per unit.  Moonshake was most definitely no where near those numbers with their pressings.

So, does anyone here bashing Ship to Shore have any actual proof of them stalking the dude other than leaving a negative star rating on Discogs or not being too happy about him using a track from an album that they spent a long time working to secure the rights to?

I've bought a couple of their releases (the two Mother games, Manos and Martin) and all of them have been pretty nicely put together. They could use a better pressing plant, but that's my only qualm.

ShipToShore created an account here on VC to silently down vote Sean's posts last year.

Haha, fair.

To clarify my perspective (and my perspective most of the time I get into any sort of debate), I play devil's advocate and try (try) to remove my own personal opinions. Personally, assuming that what has been said is true (which is all you can do until more information comes to light, anything else is an assumption based on nothing), I can see both sides.

Moonshake is naive. ShipToShore are douches.

Moonshake was never going to last long, but I had honestly expected a Cease and Desist to end his little artistic endeavor, not a 'rival' label.

Also, my little jab about the cost of pressing records was sincere (if not without sarcasm), you seriously have to press A LOT of records before the cost gets down that low per unit. Moonshake was most definitely no where near those numbers with their pressings.

I'm specifically talking about the test pressing copies. Maybe those cost more I dunno, they definitely aren't anywhere near $30 per unit if that was the price. The fully packaged retail copies would have been $7-8 give or take.

I'm specifically talking about the test pressing copies. Maybe those cost more I dunno, they definitely aren't anywhere near $30 per unit if that was the price. The fully packaged retail copies would have been $7-8 give or take.

Oh, I missed that you were specifically talking about Tests, my bad.  That being said, I can't say I've ever seen a label sell a Test for less than the cost of the regular pressing (other than some rad ones that give them away).

Oh, I missed that you were specifically talking about Tests, my bad. That being said, I can't say I've ever seen a label sell a Test for less than the cost of the regular pressing (other than some rad ones that give them away).

I probably wasn't clear. I know that about test pressings and I'm not complaining about labels who do it. I'm just saying not to act like it didn't happen here :P

About the Pokemon record: 'The most annoying being that they list the record is $50, which I did not authorize them to do whatsoever'

Just like GAME FREAK (who have legal digital music here) didn't authorize you to sell in the first place, right.

'I do not and have NEVER done this for money whatsoever'

Sure thing, I'm sure it was all going to the Mega Man and Zelda composers from the very start, right.

'not shitty vinyl “collectors” that buy records only as trophies to show off to other collectors.'

Half your audience mate.

'If all I cared about was ripping off nerds, I could just infinitely repress the mega man 2 or Zelda albums.'

Or you could bootleg a load of other releases.

'But Im not trying to be a business.'

Good luck with that Snatcher license.

'you can see how many labels have quickly popped up after me'

Ignoring the hundreds of game records released before him.

'uninspired soundtrack album design that’s generic as hell' 

Reference to his own bad album art.

'though for the record there are still labels like Iam8bit and datadiscs do awesome quality work and everyone should support them'

I'm sure they totally respect what all the hard work Moonshake does too.

Ninja Gaiden is coming out? I don't think Keiji Yamagishi/Brave Wave would be very happy about that (who they work closely with) at least they work directly with the original artists, do people actually believe he's sending all that profit from the Pokemon records to Junichi Masuda? Why such the big deal, it's half-ass work made out to be some glorious bootleg revolution. You can't make up excuses until you at least try attempt going legit, and asking your mailing list for lawyer help doesn't make it any easier.