MOONSHAKE RECORDS THREAD.

Satan

I'm guessing this guy put the blame of his illegal activities ending on these two. If he did that's even more pathetic than whatever they did to shut him down since that was inevitable anyways.

You've got to be naïve to think you're going to run an illegal business and then attach your real identity and run it out of the US where they will find you. It did get him this strange vocal following that's probably the actual root of any problems though. Guess this is karma for price gouging.

I'm guessing this guy put the blame of his illegal activities ending on these two. If he did that's even more pathetic than whatever they did to shut him down since that was inevitable anyways.

You've got to be naïve to think you're going to run an illegal business and then attach your real identity and run it out of the US where they will find you. It did get him this strange vocal following that's probably the actual root of any problems though. Guess this is karma for price gouging.

That's not really what went down.  He wasn't shut down at all, he just got tired of the personal attacks from MrRom92 and ShipToShore and walked away.  (And being pissed off to find out that retailers were buying this releases and reselling them at 2.5x the cost)  There was no legal action.

I guess the fact that he "TRIED to get licenses" and "donated money to the artists" wasn't enough for those who ACTUALLY OWN THE LICENSES.

lolol.

*shrug*  As far as I'm concerned the whole licensing game is a crock.  If you made the music you should own the rights/make a profit off of it.  On top of that, if the people are refusing to DO anything with the music they own then....

I think what people get stuck on in this situation is the DIFFERENCE between ethics and morals.

What any bootlegger does is not legally ethical.  However, the morals are often a separate issue.  While most bootlegger are most definitely producing releases for personal profits there are definitely those that are just releasing so that the music is released.  Moonshake was definitely not making any money off of their releases, and (if what we're told is to be believed) he was apparently giving back what little profit he did make to the writers/composers.

Yes, the writers/composers maybe shouldn't have signed that deal, yadda yadda, but that's not really here nor there.  The fact is if they said no to the deal, the game companies would have simply shrugged and moved on to someone that would sign that deal.

Moonshake was definitely not making any money off of their releases, and (if what we're told is to be believed) he was apparently giving back what little profit he did make to the writers/composers.

Let's be honest, man. He was not doing this, period.

I brought it up in the other thread that was locked, and see no point in starting the conversation again because you guys are gonna support him not matter what and that's fine.

But, it's not only against the law (whether or not you care about this law in particular is irrelevant here) for him to MAKE the record with songs he doesn't have licensing rights to, it's also illegal for the composers/artists to ACCEPT PAYMENT for a pressing that is unlicensed.

I looked it up before and I'm not going to bother now, but like the guy that did the Pokemon MIDIs is something like a 20 year employee of Nintendo. You think that guy is going to risk his fuckin' job to take a couple hundos from some dude pressing bootlegs under Nintendo's nose? C'mon man, let's please be reasonable haha.

EDIT: Here, just because I can't help myself: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junichi_Masuda#Career

This is the composer of the Red+Blue MIDI Soundtrack. He's on the BOARD OF DIRECTORS for Gamefreak. 

That's not really what went down. He wasn't shut down at all, he just got tired of the personal attacks from MrRom92 and ShipToShore and walked away. (And being pissed off to find out that retailers were buying this releases and reselling them at 2.5x the cost) There was no legal action.

Hahahahaha so he was mad people were taking something of his and profiting with minimal to no effort? Holy shit.

Let's be honest, man. He was not doing this, period.

I brought it up in the other thread that was locked, and see no point in starting the conversation again because you guys are gonna support him not matter what and that's fine.

But, it's not only against the law (whether or not you care about this law in particular is irrelevant here) for him to MAKE the record with songs he doesn't have licensing rights to, it's also illegal for the composers/artists to ACCEPT PAYMENT for a pressing that is unlicensed.

I looked it up before and I'm not going to bother now, but like the guy that did the Pokemon MIDIs is something like a 20 year employee of Nintendo. You think that guy is going to risk his fuckin' job to take a couple hundos from some dude pressing bootlegs under Nintendo's nose? C'mon man, let's please be reasonable haha.

EDIT: Here, just because I can't help myself: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junichi_Masuda#Career

This is the composer of the Red+Blue MIDI Soundtrack. He's on the BOARD OF DIRECTORS for Gamefreak. 

Oh, I don't disagree at all.  Hence my point of the difference between ethics and morals.

There is nothing ethical about bootlegs, period.

Oh, I don't disagree at all.  Hence my point of the difference between ethics and morals.

There is nothing ethical about bootlegs, period.

That's fine. Like I said, I'm not out to change anyone's mind. I don't care if people buy his stuff, I don't care that he stopped making them.

I just think it's silly that everyone keeps coming back to this argument that he directly paid composers and artists when there is absolutely no way this happened. That's all :P\

Everyone is free to spend their money on whatever they want. Even when the last thread was locked all anyone against the bootlegs was saying was this will only bring trouble, and it's only a matter of time before it gets shut down and god forbid it happens before records were sent out and after people paid like has happened in the past with other bootleg labels.