Android (OS)

I just finished rooting my Android a couple minutes ago and was curious if anyone else has their phone rooted. What are some useful apps that you use?

Or maybe what would you recommend I do/use?

I downloaded Titanium Backup, but not sure on how to use it. I see you can possibly uninstall apps that normally cannot be uninstalled, like ChatON and Hangouts.

I have a Galaxy S5, if that matters.

AdAway

Root Explorer

WiFi Tether Router (make sure you device is compatible)

If your bootloader is unlocked you can also now flash a custom ROM. The features vary between builds and developers but you'll get a less "bulky" device that runs smoother and has better battery life. Check out the Android Development board for your device on the XDA forums.

AdAway

Root Explorer

WiFi Tether Router (make sure you device is compatible)

If your bootloader is unlocked you can also now flash a custom ROM. The features vary between builds and developers but you'll get a less "bulky" device that runs smoother and has better battery life. Check out the Android Development board for your device on the XDA forums.

Downloaded the top two and will download the WiFi tether in a bit. I appreciate the help!

That second part I got lost in. A lot of what I'm reading inside these apps is gibberish to me. I need to do A LOT of research on the XDA forums. Don't want to accidentally mess up.

But so far, it's going great. I wish I would've known about rooting a long time ago.

So concerning the tethering I would be careful to an extent. I know for a fact Verizon monitors data use trends carefully. If you step outside their models of "standard usage" you will be watched. I am one of the few that still has unlimited data with verizon. I know when they got rid of the program they mentioned only 2% of their users used 2gb or more. This was years ago so I am sure that percentage is even smaller now. I regularly use 25+gb a month. They hate me, but everything I do is fine and dandy (email, uploading youtube, netflix, web browsing etc). I have a feeling if I started tethering after rooting they may attempt to shut my account down or remove the unlimited data plans (due to violation of my contract/plan/intended use). They have already (unsuccessfully) attempted to throttle unlimited data users

Any thoughts on this? Or someone that regularly uses their unlimited data to tether?

So concerning the tethering I would be careful to an extent. I know for a fact Verizon monitors data use trends carefully. If you step outside their models of "standard usage" you will be watched. I am one of the few that still has unlimited data with verizon. I know when they got rid of the program they mentioned only 2% of their users used 2gb or more. This was years ago so I am sure that percentage is even smaller now. I regularly use 25+gb a month. They hate me, but everything I do is fine and dandy (email, uploading youtube, netflix, web browsing etc). I have a feeling if I started tethering after rooting they may attempt to shut my account down or remove the unlimited data plans (due to violation of my contract/plan/intended use). They have already (unsuccessfully) attempted to throttle unlimited data users

Any thoughts on this? Or someone that regularly uses their unlimited data to tether?

This is not true. If you're enabling wireless tether using other means they have absolutely no way of proving it unless they physically inspect your device. There's nothing to worry about.

Even if they did see that you altered your device the only thing they'll do is deny you a warranty claim. That's it.

If your device is softmodded in anyway simply re-lock the bootloader and flash a stock ROM if you need to exchange your device or trade it in. Most major device manufacturers provide free official software to do this yourself.

Major carriers themselves sell Developer Edition devices, meaning the phones come with an unlocked bootloaded specifically for ROM development. I don't think they care too much given we live in a world where even Panera Bread offers free WiFi. I've used my phone as a hotspot twice this entire year.

I've been trying to figure out how to get started on ROMs and all that, but it was so confusing.

I stumbled upon some guides and pretty much explaining A LOT and that's really what I needed. I have a better grasp on how it works now. Still don't think I'm ready to run a Custom ROM. Need to do more research, I feel.

I'm excited to run one, though. Just don't know what I would like to run. Sky's the limit, right?

Nothing to worry about, you'll need to install a custom recovery before you can flash a ROM anyways so just make a backup then go to town! Worst case scenario is you'd softbrick and then would need to reflash a stock image from your PC, but you'd have to really fuck something up during the flashing process. In the early days it was more common. Once I had to basically jump start a Droid X battery with a stripped charger cable because my battery died while flashing a ROM and wouldn't charge from a softbricked device. Make sure your battery is at least 40% charged. ;)

Anyways don't worry about it. Things are basically dummy proof now, just remember anytime you're going to flash a ROM, mod, or kernel MAKE A BACKUP! And always wipe the big three (data, cache, and dalvik) unless a dev says it's OK to dirty flash a build (usually ok to do with with incremental ROM updates).

Another great way to dabble with mods is to simply install Xposed Framework. It has all kinds of cool mods cooked into it you can pick and choose from. It should be in the Play Store.

More about using Xposed Framework on your device specifically:

http://gs5.wonderhowto.com/how-to/install-xposed-framework-your-samsung-galaxy-s5-0155684/

The more I looked into it I found it's a little trickier to get it on a Lollipop device. I was without it ever since I updated but just re-installed Xposed on my G3. Finally got my little tricks and icon mods back :)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=3034811

Yeah, that's what I've been reading. Do a NANdroid back up and a Titanium Backup for the apps and settings.

Damn, that's crazy! I'll definitely remember to keep mine charged then, haha.

Okay, I'll definitely wipe all three.

Well, I don't have Lollipop on my device currently. It was always so laggy for me and I just decided to downgrade (which was easy stuff) back to 4.4.2.

I actually kind of messed up the root. I had done it without having TWRP or CWM, so I don't know what the purpose of rooting your phone and not having that installed (just for using rooted apps?). But I ended up un-rooting and rooting again, but actually installing CWM.

Yeah, that's what I've been reading. Do a NANdroid back up and a Titanium Backup for the apps and settings.

Damn, that's crazy! I'll definitely remember to keep mine charged then, haha.

Okay, I'll definitely wipe all three.

Well, I don't have Lollipop on my device currently. It was always so laggy for me and I just decided to downgrade (which was easy stuff) back to 4.4.2.

I actually kind of messed up the root. I had done it without having TWRP or CWM, so I don't know what the purpose of rooting your phone and not having that installed (just for using rooted apps?). But I ended up un-rooting and rooting again, but actually installing CWM.

KK was a great Android build, I actually waited for a long time before moving to a Lollipop ROM. I honestly think you should flash a stock based KK ROM for your device. You'll notice a huge difference in performance and won't have to deal with a barren build of Android (like CyanogenMod) or to a ROM with random features you won't use. I personally favor/use stock based ROMs because they're built from the specific OS compiled for the device, just suped up with all the bloat taken out. If you want to stay stock rooted you'll be able to use root apps and freeze bloatware with Titanium Backup. You can also flash mods and trick out your phone with Xposed Framework (it's easier to install on a KK ROM).

If you can use TWRP instead of CWM. Clockwork feels like a really dated recovery now and TWRP is steadily upgraded with new builds of Android. You can install it via TWRP Manager from the Play Store.

KK was a great Android build, I actually waited for a long time before moving to a Lollipop ROM. I honestly think you should flash a stock based KK ROM for your device. You'll notice a huge difference in performance and won't have to deal with a barren build of Android (like CyanogenMod) or to a ROM with random features you won't use. I personally favor/use stock based ROMs because they're built from the specific OS compiled for the device, just suped up with all the bloat taken out. If you want to stay stock rooted you'll be able to use root apps and freeze bloatware with Titanium Backup. You can also flash mods and trick out your phone with Xposed Framework (it's easier to install on a KK ROM).

If you can use TWRP instead of CWM. Clockwork feels like a really dated recovery now and TWRP is steadily upgraded with new builds of Android. You can install it via TWRP Manager from the Play Store.

Yeah, I'll definitely see if I can flash a stock ROM. Staying stock rooted - which is what I assume I have now - still feels like the same old smartphone. Don't notice any difference.

I downloaded it, but do i also need to do a backup for changing the custom recovery?

I was about to install and there's a lot of versions. I'm assuming just go with the latest for my model, which is 2.8.7.0. Lowest is 2.7.0.0.

Yeah, I'll definitely see if I can flash a stock ROM. Staying stock rooted - which is what I assume I have now - still feels like the same old smartphone. Don't notice any difference.

I downloaded it, but do i also need to do a backup for changing the custom recovery?

I was about to install and there's a lot of versions. I'm assuming just go with the latest for my model, which is 2.8.7.0. Lowest is 2.7.0.0.

Yes, use the latest! And your recovery is separate from your Nandroid backup, it's basically flashed separately from your system meaning it won't change unless you directly change it, it won't go away between ROMs, etc.

Stock rooted is exactly the same as a stock phone but the door is now unlocked. You'll absolutely notice a difference when you flash a custom ROM! If you're having trouble picking one post some links to ones you want to try and I'll try and point you on the right direction.

Okay, so I was browsing earlier and stumbled upon this.

http://wccftech.com/best-android-4-4-custom-roms/

It was made back in 2013, so I don't know if I need something more current...?

Navigating through XDA is very hard for me. Couldn't really find something to do with stock KK ROMs.

I believe I ran an Alliance ROM on my GSIII and it worked really well. This ROM is packed with options, seems like a great place to start! It has Init.d, Sqlite3, Zipaligned, and Build.prop tweaks so you'll notice a different data speeds/performance/battery right away! Plus the AROMA installer is great for new flashers because you can cherry pick every feature. I'm assuming you'll need to flash the modem/bootloader since you're on KK, just to be safe I'd do it anyways (your modem is essentially your "data/cell radio" and think of your bootloader as the nucleus of your device that mandates everything).

Give it a whirl! And don't be afraid to ask for help on XDA. It's not like here where people will troll the shit out of you for asking a noobish question. They might be a little rude but they won't blow you off. Just be VERY respectful on those boards, their moderation team doesn't fuck around one bit.