Advice getting around LA?

Hey guys. As you may have seen in my sale thread, I'm going to LA for the weekend to catch the It's Not Dead fest in San Bernandino. Now I've always been a seat-of-the-pants kinda guy, but I didn't plan this very well at all. My flight should land at LAX (unfortunate, but can't be changed) well before noon on Friday if it leaves Seattle at 7am, so I'm hoping I won't get hit with Uber's surge prices but I have no idea how that works.

Anyway, I'm staying in at a hotel in Ontario/Rancho Cucamonga which is quite a ways from LAX, but this website told me UberX should cost me between $70 and $90. I'm hoping to apply my first ride discount (up to $30). Taking the bus would be considerably cheaper, but also take twice as long and I'd probably (definitely) get lost along the way.

The rest of my travel needs will be short-distance (going to Scripps, etc.) so I will probably be best off using UberX for those. What I really need advice on is the ride from LAX to my hotel (and back, on Sunday night) - let me know if you have a better idea!

Also worth saying: If anyone is going to It's Not Dead and planning on passing through Ontario/Rancho Cucamongo/San Bernandino and wants to carpool, please let me know! I would be more than willing to pitch in some cash for gas, and I promise I'm a good guy. (People tell me I smell good, too.)

when i go down there, i usually take the flyaway bus to union station, then take a train from there. i think there is a metro train that goes out to san bernardino/riverside. might be worth looking into. good luck!

I fly out on Thursday and this is what I'm doing but I'm staying in Hollywood.

ah yeah that'll do it. Sometimes Lyft is cheaper than Uber I'd download that also

Yeah, I installed Lyft the other night and I've got 10 free rides up to $10, which is probably only a couple of blocks but I'm sure I'll put those to use during the weekend. Maybe I can have ten different drivers take me to Long Beach for free.

I don't think there's any way for me to know in advance what the price will be for Uber vs. Lyft so I'll probably just be comparing once I'm on the ground.

All that being said, it looks like the FlyAway -> Union Station -> San Bernandino is my cheapest option at $16. Thanks for the tip, CVHX!

Dude. Take one of the free shuttles to the holiday inn or some other nearby hotel. Take an uberX from there. It'll be cheaper as I've never had luck getting an uberX from LAX, just uber plus which is $$$

The shuttles have never asked me for a reservation name or anything. If anyone gives you shit just tell them your parents got on one and told you to meet them there and you thought it was that one. I don't know just bullshit them if anyone tries to ask.

Dude. Take one of the free shuttles to the holiday inn or some other nearby hotel. Take an uberX from there. It'll be cheaper as I've never had luck getting an uberX from LAX, just uber plus which is $$$

The shuttles have never asked me for a reservation name or anything. If anyone gives you shit just tell them your parents got on one and told you to meet them there and you thought it was that one. I don't know just bullshit them if anyone tries to ask.

Good point, it would make sense for Uber to restrict LAX to their more expensive services. I hadn't thought of that.

Still though, UberX is going to cost me at least $40 (and that's if the discount works) which is twice as much as the train -> bus route and would probably take about the same time.

Super Shuttle or similar services are pretty cheap.  The only time I flew into LAX, I took a Super Shuttle to my hotel in Long Beach.  I think it was like $20-$25. 

At the time, public transportation seemed hilariously inadequate.

Just looked at their website and I'll definitely be considering this as well. Super Shuttle may be the best way to get back to LAX on Sunday.

I hear Lyft is the shit, especially in LA.

It is. I used Uber to and from San Manuel but Lyft for my shorter trips because I had all those $10 credits. Lyft saved me from missing my train back to Union Station and from having to walk a mile and a half through a particularly weird part of Little Tokyo.

Fucking insane. It was great. Bouncing Souls and the Vandals had a little trouble with mic levels but other than that there were very few hiccups. As expected, Descendents and NOFX blew me away.

I'm sunburnt as hell, too.

Too bad you came in the middle of a heatwave. It's always hot as balls out there though.